Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 04:56 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,494,565 times

Advertisements

JUST an FYI... Nature's Variety gets their lamb from New Zealand and rabbit from China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 05:11 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,667,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
JUST an FYI... Nature's Variety gets their lamb from New Zealand and rabbit from China.
G_R_O_A_N!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!: smack:

Old 01-21-2011, 05:13 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,494,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
G_R_O_A_N!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!: smack:
I KNEW that would be your response and I felt bad being the one to inform you, BUT I also knew you would want to know.

I, personally, am not overly worried about BPA in cans, but... the larger cans of Nature's Variety contain BPA as well.

Sorry.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:58 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,620,222 times
Quote:
I've been slowly transitioning my cats who love Wellness Core over to Nature's Variety. I highly recommend this food, although there are some veges in with the food. And to save me money, I buy the canned dog food, which has the exact same ingredients as the cat food, just in larger cans. I believe they are the 13.5oz. cans, is that right??

MidwesternBookWorm, when you mentioned Wellness Core grain-free, were you speaking of the canned food? Reason I ask, is because that is what I am feeding some of mine now, and transitioning over to Nature's Variety.
Garden, my cat likes ONLY the cheaper Wellness Chicken canned -- NOT the higher priced 'Core Wellness' canned. The Core wet food has higher protein amounts & thus is too 'rich' for her tummy. But she loves the regular cans of 5.5 oz Chicken by Wellness. The 12.5 oz Wellness cans ALL have BPA but the 3.5 & 5.5 oz cans are BPA-free, says Wellness. So I use ONLY these 5.5 oz Wellness cans and ONLY Chicken flavor not turkey, lobster, shrimp, etc.

The dry Wellness Fish & Fowl Core is ok but I only rarely use it for a treat. She hates ALL treats like Greenies, etc. so I can't find anything she likes treat-wise, thus the use of dry Wellness grain-free Core sparingly. I have no clue on Nature's Variety but I guess, avoid BPA if you can.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:13 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
Quote:
I've been slowly transitioning my cats who love Wellness Core over to Nature's Variety. I highly recommend this food, although there are some veges in with the food. And to save me money, I buy the canned dog food, which has the exact same ingredients as the cat food, just in larger cans. I believe they are the 13.5oz. cans, is that right??

MidwesternBookWorm, when you mentioned Wellness Core grain-free, were you speaking of the canned food? Reason I ask, is because that is what I am feeding some of mine now, and transitioning over to Nature's Variety.
Dog food may contain the same ingredients, but it does NOT contain them in the same percentages as cat food.

Cats and dogs have extremely different nutritional requirements and dog food is not a balanced diet for cats. I mean no disrespect to you, but I am truly shocked to the core that you feed your cats dog food.

Last edited by catsmom21; 01-22-2011 at 06:39 AM..

Old 01-22-2011, 06:34 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,622,695 times
Well I've been using the Wellness CORE only in the mornings and I started feeding my cats either canned food or I cook my own food and feed them at night-HUGE difference! One of my cats looks a little thinner and they seem healthier-knock on wood...

Old 01-22-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Dog food may contain the same ingredients, but it does NOT contain them in the same percentages as cat food.

Cats and dogs have extremely different nutritional requirements and dog food is not a balanced diet for cats. I mean no disrespect to you, but I am truly shocked to the core that you feed your cats dog food.
CatsMom21, if you read the label and compare both, both have the exact same ingredients in the exact order. They are EXACTLY the same.

You are SHOCKED that I feed my cats dog food? Read the label please. You seriously don't think I do my homework before I do what I do? I take care of ILL cats here, and EVERYTHING I do, no matter what YOU think, is for their well being! My husband and I go without to keep feeding and caring for these cats, money that no one gives us! If you don't think it gets expensive to do what we do, walk a mile in my shoes!

One more thing. IF you know how to read labels correctly, the ingredients are always listed from the greatest amount to the least. I see absolutely no difference in the ingredients below. If you do, I must need new glasses.

Nature's Variety Instinct Rabbit Formula Canned Dog Food

Rabbit, Pork Liver, Water, Flaxseed, Tricalcium Phosphate, Peas, Carrots, Calcium Carbonate, Lecithin, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Riboflavin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Dried Kelp, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide), Artichokes, Cranberries, Pumpkin, Tomato, Blueberries, Broccoli, Cabbage, Kale, Parsley

Nature's Variety Instinct Rabbit Formula Canned Cat Food

Rabbit, Pork Liver, Water, Flaxseed, Tricalcium Phosphate, Peas, Carrots, Calcium Carbonate, Lecithin, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Riboflavin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Dried Kelp, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide), Artichokes, Cranberries, Pumpkin, Tomato, Blueberries, Broccoli, Cabbage, Kale, Parsley

Old 01-22-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
I KNEW that would be your response and I felt bad being the one to inform you, BUT I also knew you would want to know.

I, personally, am not overly worried about BPA in cans, but... the larger cans of Nature's Variety contain BPA as well.

Sorry.
Lola, thank you. I feel like using some really strong language here, bleep bleep bleep! I do everything I can to save a dollar here, get the best deals, and I forgot about the BPA! Damn! Now that, I can and will say here! ****

Old 01-22-2011, 08:05 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
Quote:
CatsMom21, if you read the label and compare both, both have the exact same ingredients in the exact order. They are EXACTLY the same.

You are SHOCKED that I feed my cats dog food? Read the label please. You seriously don't think I do my homework before I do what I do? I take care of ILL cats here, and EVERYTHING I do, no matter what YOU think, is for their well being! My husband and I go without to keep feeding and caring for these cats, money that no one gives us! If you don't think it gets expensive to do what we do, walk a mile in my shoes!

One more thing. IF you know how to read labels correctly, the ingredients are always listed from the greatest amount to the least. I see absolutely no difference in the ingredients below. If you do, I must need new glasses.

Nature's Variety Instinct Rabbit Formula Canned Dog Food

Nature's Variety Instinct Rabbit Formula Canned Cat Food

I do know that you investigate deeply, and keep yourself informed. That is why I am so shocked. I can't believe you don't know that dog food should not be fed to cats.

The ingredients may be the same but the foods are not. How can they be, when dogs and cats have VERY DIFFERENT nutritional needs.

If this company is putting out the same food, and simply slapping a different label on it for each species, I would find the whole company suspect.

Cats and dogs do not have the same needs. A "nutritionally complete for dogs" food will not be "nutritionally complete" for cats.

There is no getting around that.

<edit>

these links list the AAFCO standards for cats and dogs that the pet food companies go by

as you can see the cats and dogs charts are glaringly different. Go ahead and put the charts up side by side. You will see why I am so dismayed.

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/124/...2535S.full.pdf

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/124/...2535S.full.pdf

Last edited by catsmom21; 01-22-2011 at 08:23 AM..

Old 01-22-2011, 08:55 AM

There is absolutely no getting through to you, C21. I have compared the food side by side, I posted the ingredients of both the cat and the dog food, and it is exactly the same. Exactly. I am not going round and round with you on this. I even have spoken to representatives of this company, and the ingredients are EXACTLY the same. What is there to argue???

And who are you to judge me? Who? If you don't believe what I say, and from what I have seen on this forum, nothing I say you agree with......I don't really care. I do my best. And it that is not good enough for you, than take it elsewhere. I am honestly in no frame of mind to do this with you, C21. YOU haven't seen this food, you haven't fed your cats this brand of food at all, to my knowledge. What makes you such an expert on Natures Variety brand of food?

Yes, I understand the difference in nutritional needs between cats and dogs. Yes. Yes, I was very surprised to see the exact same ingredients in both the cat and dog canned food, and that is why I spoke to several people about this. Either I was lied to, or the research I did on my own, was incorrect as well.

I will be going back to the 5.5oz cans, the ONLY reason being is what Lola reminded me of. Thank you again, Lola. I've had so much on my mind with Molly and all, that I totally forgot about BPA being in larger cans.

Last edited by Garden of Eden; 01-22-2011 at 09:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats