Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 11:27 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
There is absolutely no getting through to you, C21. I have compared the food side by side, I posted the ingredients of both the cat and the dog food, and it is exactly the same. Exactly. I am not going round and round with you on this. I even have spoken to representatives of this company, and the ingredients are EXACTLY the same. What is there to argue???

And who are you to judge me? Who? If you don't believe what I say, and from what I have seen on this forum, nothing I say you agree with......I don't really care. I do my best. And it that is not good enough for you, than take it elsewhere. I am honestly in no frame of mind to do this with you, C21. YOU haven't seen this food, you haven't fed your cats this brand of food at all, to my knowledge. What makes you such an expert on Natures Variety brand of food?

Yes, I understand the difference in nutritional needs between cats and dogs. Yes. Yes, I was very surprised to see the exact same ingredients in both the cat and dog canned food, and that is why I spoke to several people about this. Either I was lied to, or the research I did on my own, was incorrect as well.

I will be going back to the 5.5oz cans, the ONLY reason being is what Lola reminded me of. Thank you again, Lola. I've had so much on my mind with Molly and all, that I totally forgot about BPA being in larger cans.

I am sorry you feel judged by me, it is not my intent to cause you to any distress. I was shocked, is all, that someone who purports to care so much about what goes into her cats would feed them dog food. That's all.

Since people do listen to you, In My Opinion, you ought to be more careful about posting things like this, because in general, dog food is not okay to feed to cats, regardless of what the ingredient lists are like.

For general information I think it is important that people know that dogs and cats have vastly different nutritional needs, and dog food is not appropriate for cats.

Last edited by catsmom21; 01-22-2011 at 11:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 12:53 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,665,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I am sorry you feel judged by me, it is not my intent to cause you to any distress. I was shocked, is all, that someone who purports to care so much about what goes into her cats would feed them dog food. That's all.

Since people do listen to you, In My Opinion, you ought to be more careful about posting things like this, because in general, dog food is not okay to feed to cats, regardless of what the ingredient lists are like.

For general information I think it is important that people know that dogs and cats have vastly different nutritional needs, and dog food is not appropriate for cats.
Let me try one more time here. I am in no way encouraging anyone here to feed their cats dog food. I did not say this. Dog food is not all right to feed cats.

YET, and this is what I did say. The RECIPE found in both the cat food and the dog food made by Nature's Variety is exactly the same. Why we are going over and over this is beyond me. But I want to make very very very sure, that NO ONE here thinks I am saying it is OK to feed dog food to cats. IT IS NOT.

Again.....maybe this time I will be heard correctly. I spoke to representatives of this company to make absolute sure that what is in the dog food is exactly what is in the cat food. I was told YES. And because my husband and I at times struggle to keep things running here, I try to the best of my ABILITY to get the best deals to save money. This is the ONLY reason I bought the larger cans that say dog food on them, to try to save ourselves some money. Those cans and ONLY those cans I bought because (sigh) the food is EXACTLY the same as in the cat food.

I AM IN NO WAY ENCOURAGING ANYONE HERE TO FEED THEIR CATS DOG FOOD. I WOULD NEVER DO THAT.

You think maybe we can finally be done with this and move on? (shaking head)

Old 01-22-2011, 01:48 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,573 times
Back to our regular program...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I have been feeding my three cats Wellness CORE dry food for about 6 months now...

A month ago I had to take my male cat to the Vet, he had a bladder infection and his uretha was blocked. I gave him antibiotics and all is well so I thought. Now I have to take my female to the vet as she is showing the same symptoms as the male cat-except she has also gained about 6 pounds on this food. This cannot be a coincidence-my cats are all 5 1/2 and all in excellent health-has anyone had these problems and can someone recommend a quality cat food? Thank you

Did you change to Wellness Core wet... or another quality wet food?

Old 02-03-2011, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,348 times
Default Wellness wet food inconsistency

I too have recently seen some bad batches of Wellness wet food for cats. And for the past few months, my cat has been vomiting after eating this food. I opened about 4 different cans (large) which my cat would not touch. I finally opened a can she would eat. And the next day, I opened a can which had disgusting stuff on the lid. I am throwing away another can which, when I pick it up, sounds like it is mostly fluid. It's too bad because when I started feeding her Wellness, her health and disposition improved significantly. After reading your posts, I'm not trusting this brand anymore.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie2011 View Post
I too have recently seen some bad batches of Wellness wet food for cats. And for the past few months, my cat has been vomiting after eating this food. I opened about 4 different cans (large) which my cat would not touch. I finally opened a can she would eat. And the next day, I opened a can which had disgusting stuff on the lid. I am throwing away another can which, when I pick it up, sounds like it is mostly fluid. It's too bad because when I started feeding her Wellness, her health and disposition improved significantly. After reading your posts, I'm not trusting this brand anymore.
Ours have been eating Wellness Turkey and Chicken for quite some time. The 12.5 oz cans. We have had absolutely no problems at all!

Have you written Wellness and explained your experience? Maybe they can answer and/or explain some of your concerns.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:03 AM

8 posts, read 29,330 times
I don't feed my cats the Wellness Core, due to the high protein content of mostly meat. The older cats are the more they cannot process the protein. It's just like in older humans....they can't process lots of protein....at least that's what the doctors over the years, including veterinarians have told me. I just feed the Wellness canned Chicken, Turkey and Salmon, Chicken and Herring, and Turkey. They all have quit having vomiting problems, shedding a lot and no more urinary tract infections. It agrees with them.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:07 AM

8 posts, read 29,330 times
I had read somewhere the reason for not feeding cats dog food was because there was no taurine in the dog food, and the cats needed it for the well-being of their eyes.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:21 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatewinter2 View Post
I had read somewhere the reason for not feeding cats dog food was because there was no taurine in the dog food, and the cats needed it for the well-being of their eyes.
Yes, that is true. Eyes and their heart health too.Cats have to have taurine added to their diet, dogs do not, because a dog's body can manufacture taurine from the food it eats, a cat's body cannot. Cats and dogs have such different nutritional needs, it is not possible to make a food that can meet both.

I think you meant this post to be in another thread though...the dog food/cat food Evo thread?

Old 02-04-2011, 08:53 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,612,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
Ours have been eating Wellness Turkey and Chicken for quite some time. The 12.5 oz cans. We have had absolutely no problems at all!

Have you written Wellness and explained your experience? Maybe they can answer and/or explain some of your concerns.
Lola, the 12.5 oz cans have BPA in them. Please buy the smaller 5.5 oz cans as they're BPA-free. I'm only saying this avoid that BPA junk going into your cats.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Lola, the 12.5 oz cans have BPA in them. Please buy the smaller 5.5 oz cans as they're BPA-free. I'm only saying this avoid that BPA junk going into your cats.
I know they do and I appreciate your response.

However, BPA is used in sooooooooooooooooooo many products (human foods) that I can't imagine how a person could avoid it entirely.

AND... it is said that we would have to eat more than 500 POUNDS of food in contact with BPA EVERY day to exceed exposure level.

I'm going with the belief (I have done a LOT of reading concerning BPA) my furkids are safe with the litttttttle bit of exposure to BPA they may be getting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats