Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 10:10 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,618,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
I know they do and I appreciate your response.

However, BPA is used in sooooooooooooooooooo many products (human foods) that I can't imagine how a person could avoid it entirely.

AND... it is said that we would have to eat more than 500 POUNDS of food in contact with BPA EVERY day to exceed exposure level.

I'm going with the belief (I have done a LOT of reading concerning BPA) my furkids are safe with the litttttttle bit of exposure to BPA they may be getting.
No worries, just fyi. I, personally, try to avoid all canned goods for myself & other than the cat food cans for her. I'm eating fresh seafood or chicken/turkey or eggs, yogurt, nuts, etc. for protein.

But I wasn't sure if you were aware of BPA. I still think that it is cumulative -- & even if not -- it is best, in my opinion, to avoid "what you CAN avoid" simply by buying 5.5 oz & thus GUARANTEE safety. If it is found to be detrimental at ANY level your babies will have ingested -- what you can never reverse. I error on caution but I respect your ideals so I'm not disagreeing w/ your thinking.

Sorry I sound so adamant but it is a HUGE issue to my own nutrition concerns. I HATE the BPA period. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 10:37 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
No worries, just fyi. I, personally, try to avoid all canned goods for myself & other than the cat food cans for her. I'm eating fresh seafood or chicken/turkey or eggs, yogurt, nuts, etc. for protein.

But I wasn't sure if you were aware of BPA. I still think that it is cumulative -- & even if not -- it is best, in my opinion, to avoid "what you CAN avoid" simply by buying 5.5 oz & thus GUARANTEE safety. If it is found to be detrimental at ANY level your babies will have ingested -- what you can never reverse. I error on caution but I respect your ideals so I'm not disagreeing w/ your thinking.

Sorry I sound so adamant but it is a HUGE issue to my own nutrition concerns. I HATE the BPA period. lol
We are good. I totally believe people SHOULD be informed so they can make their own decisions.

You eat MUCH better than I do, no wonder it is "easier" for you to avoid BPA! The only can veggies I eat are beans... BPA. The hard plastic used in frozen foods... BPA. Tuna... BPA. Any plastics with the number 7... BPA. And the list goes on.

Oh, I buy the 12 oz cans of Wellness because I am feeding 7 felines an all wet diet. There are very few healthy wet foods that come in the larger cans. (One of these days, I am hoping to "dive" into feeding them raw.)

Old 04-05-2012, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,457 times
Angry WeLLNESS And CORE

I left my 15 year old cat Prince at the vet today due to crystals from the Wellness Indoor Health and the Core canned. Not sure if it was just the dry or both but the vet said it was the food. He has never had a problem before and although he lost some weight the $750 bill and all the pain he is going through isn't worth it. I have contacted the company and am requesting they pay for my vet bills and label the products with a warning. I think they are well aware of what is going on and I don't think it is fair that our animals should suffer.
Don't let these companies take advantage. If your cat never had a problem and 3 months after eating the food he has crystals , and the vet says , it's definitely the food, then something needs to be done. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!
Female cats get them too only because males have a smaller Urethra they can get away with chocking it up to a male thing, but that is not the real case and the real issue is they need to allow us to make an informed decision on whether to feed this type of diet to our animals. Not assume we won't figure it out after the fact and hope they don't get sued.
2 months ago , I was a walking billboard for WELLNESS. NOW, NOT SO MUCH!

Old 04-09-2012, 03:02 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,946,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I have been feeding my three cats Wellness CORE dry food for about 6 months now...

A month ago I had to take my male cat to the Vet, he had a bladder infection and his uretha was blocked. I gave him antibiotics and all is well so I thought. Now I have to take my female to the vet as she is showing the same symptoms as the male cat-except she has also gained about 6 pounds on this food. This cannot be a coincidence-my cats are all 5 1/2 and all in excellent health-has anyone had these problems and can someone recommend a quality cat food? Thank you

Had the exact same issue. It doesn't seem to affect every cat that eats it but it does block some. It seems to raise the pH of their urine & struvite crystals form. Had to make a run to the emergency vet late at night to the tune of $1100.

My cats eat all canned food now, no dry. Mostly Weruva Paw Lickin' Chicken and Soulistic fish chunks in gravy (different varieties).

Old 04-16-2013, 12:15 PM

3 posts, read 9,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
We have been where you are right now, and believe me, my heart goes out to you. (((HUGS))) Once upon a time, I thought dry was better for cats, because I listened to what other people said who did not know what they were talking about.

See this as an opportunity to give your cats the food that they really need. They are young, and hopefully, have many good years ahead of them. Now you are beginning to know the truth, which is good, and now you have the power to change that which does not work for your cats. We who have been through the mill with our own cats, applaud you and encourage you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
Dnvrsoul, cats are obligate felines, and MUST eat meat. It matters not the brand of dry food you feed your cat, ANY dry food will create problems in cats, especially FLUTD problems, which it now seems your baby has. Please switch over to canned food, or better yet, start studying on how to feed cats a raw diet.

And yes, I do know there are members here who feed their cats dry food and who disagree with me, and what I have to say to them, you lucked out you did not run into problems with your cat.
Garden of Eden~ The correct phrasing would be that: felines are obligate carnivores. You are correct in asserting that dry food is a common culprit in crystalluria, however it is not the dry food per se, but the ash content of the food (ash is commonly used in all cat food to provide a mineral source). Another factor that precipitates the problem of crystalluria is the tendency that cats have to intake only sparse amounts of water. So it is the combination of high ash intake and low water intake that can create recurrent urinary tract problems.

This problem can typically be remedied by purchasing either wet OR dry food that has a low ash content...AND making sure your cat consumes ample water (which is obviously a bit easier with wet food, hence the reason people mistakenly believe wet food is better than dry food).

Dry food is a perfectly good feeding option for domesticated cats, and in fact, is much better for their dental health. If an owner is vigilant about sufficient water intake and choosing a low ash, high quality/ingredient dry food with minimal fillers, the likelyhood of encountering urinary problems should be low. That said, there still may be some particularly sensitive felines out there that may not tolerate dry food. However that does not mean that "ANY" dry catfood will cause problems.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:25 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHARM411 View Post
Garden of Eden~ The correct phrasing would be that: felines are obligate carnivores. You are correct in asserting that dry food is a common culprit in crystalluria, however it is not the dry food per se, but the ash content of the food (ash is commonly used in all cat food to provide a mineral source). Another factor that precipitates the problem of crystalluria is the tendency that cats have to intake only sparse amounts of water. So it is the combination of high ash intake and low water intake that can create recurrent urinary tract problems.

This problem can typically be remedied by purchasing either wet OR dry food that has a low ash content...AND making sure your cat consumes ample water (which is obviously a bit easier with wet food, hence the reason people mistakenly believe wet food is better than dry food).

Dry food is a perfectly good feeding option for domesticated cats, and in fact, is much better for their dental health. If an owner is vigilant about sufficient water intake and choosing a low ash, high quality/ingredient dry food with minimal fillers, the likelyhood of encountering urinary problems should be low. That said, there still may be some particularly sensitive felines out there that may not tolerate dry food. However that does not mean that "ANY" dry catfood will cause problems.
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Your information is very outdated. It is not the ash content in food that causes urinary track disease in cats. And dry is not a perfectly good feeding option. Dry is very bad for cats, yes they are obligate carnivores, which means they need meat based diets, not starch and carbs, and high moisture, with the moisture coming FROM their food.

Here's a link with up to date information on all these issues, so you can get your facts straightened out.

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

Old 04-16-2013, 12:42 PM

I already have "my facts straightened out"....Thank you for your information. If you read my post thoroughly, I do not attribute urinary tract problems exclusively to ash. I also stated that if dry cat food is preferred, one should choose a high quality option (I neglected to qualify this statement by indicating that this would best be a grain/gluten free dry food). As is often said, there are two sides to every debate, and the truth often lies somewhere betwixt the two. Thank you again.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:54 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHARM411 View Post
(ash is commonly used in all cat food to provide a mineral source).
But you do have a significant thing wrong there: ash is not something added to foods at all. Ash is what is left over when the food is burned. Nothing more, nothing less. This will be mineral content, yes, but it doesn't tell you much of anything useful by itself. If you actually knew how much was phosphorous, how much was calcium, etc. it would be meaningful. (Lower phosphorous would be better for example, especially if your cat was already diagnosed with kidney disease like mine.)

Old 04-16-2013, 01:16 PM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Additionally when stating that it is easier to keep a cat hydrated on wet food...you then go on to say that dry food is still OK and not the culprit.

??

Many cats, my own included, have a VERY low thirst drive and simply won't drink water. Studies conducted by veterinary pros who care about this subject show that even a cat that eats dry and DOES drink water doesn't get as much moisture as a cat on an all wet diet (raw or canned.) Dehydration is a very serious contributor to a number of health problems, and especially urinary tract ones.

Furthermore, I challenge you to quit brushing your teeth for a week and just chew up some Cap'n Crunch, or any dry cereal, or crunchy cookies instead, and see how clean your teeth feel. Let us know how that works out. Dry food is not good for dental health. In fact I would imagine that some of the really crunchy varieties might lacerate the gums just like some cereals do to me. There is no substitute for regular brushing of teeth and dental checkups, except possibly prey-model food...which is absolutely nothing like dry kibble.

Have you read the information at catinfo.org? Have a look. It's pretty interesting stuff.

By the by, PHARM411, welcome to the forum, but please be aware that you responded to some pretty old posts, so the people you were talking to might or might not read your reply.

Best wishes.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Additionally when stating that it is easier to keep a cat hydrated on wet food...you then go on to say that dry food is still OK and not the culprit.

??

Many cats, my own included, have a VERY low thirst drive and simply won't drink water. Studies conducted by veterinary pros who care about this subject show that even a cat that eats dry and DOES drink water doesn't get as much moisture as a cat on an all wet diet (raw or canned.) Dehydration is a very serious contributor to a number of health problems, and especially urinary tract ones.

Furthermore, I challenge you to quit brushing your teeth for a week and just chew up some Cap'n Crunch, or any dry cereal, or crunchy cookies instead, and see how clean your teeth feel. Let us know how that works out. Dry food is not good for dental health. In fact I would imagine that some of the really crunchy varieties might lacerate the gums just like some cereals do to me. There is no substitute for regular brushing of teeth and dental checkups, except possibly prey-model food...which is absolutely nothing like dry kibble.

Have you read the information at catinfo.org? Have a look. It's pretty interesting stuff.

By the by, PHARM411, welcome to the forum, but please be aware that you responded to some pretty old posts, so the people you were talking to might or might not read your reply.

Best wishes.
I did not suggest that dry food would be an adequate substitution for proper conventional dental cleaning. Thus I wouldn't attempt to eat Captain Crunch as a means of daily teeth cleaning. So I won't be "letting you know how that works out". You may very well be correct that excessively abrasive dry food may cause gum laceration, I cannot speak to that statement. The abrasiveness of hard food does in fact aide in dental health cats, however you are perfectly within your own right to disagree with veterinary feline experts that claim this fact. Thank you for your snark and disingenuous best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats