Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,331 times

Advertisements

My Tino grew up on only wet food from Wellness Core!!! Kitten formula till 12 months! Yay rah rah. After that, dry food it was!! Wellness core indoor formula for all its healthy benefits and support a healthy urinary tract!!! Haha! Thad funny. Tino never has been sick! No puking, just hairball nastiness. Anyways. Last month he got a blockage... A nasty one that required local anesthesia and a catheter. His block was so bad his pee was dark red!!!! Filled with crystals too.
He's on a strict prescription wet food formula for the next 6 weeks.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR WET FOOD!?

I refuse to support a company that proclaims health and in turn causes sickness.

Thank you
Elizabeth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 02:52 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,758,550 times
My cat eats prescription food (his is dry) from the vet for this reason. He had a blocked urinary tract years ago. He's 18 now and hasn't had any problems since then. If it were me, I'd ask the vet what food to use if you want to transition him off the prescription food.

ETA you need to be sure he's drinking enough water too. You may want to invest in one of those pet fountains to encourage him to drink.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:30 PM

3 posts, read 4,445 times
When I had my cat eating wellness core dry she also experienced a bladder issue (not a uti but same symptoms). Apparently it was a combo of stress and not drinking enough water. I had to stop with the dry and add water (or broth- just make sure there's no garlic or onion!) to her canned (also wellness core) food. I pretty much stopped all together with the dry (used to give her both). I only put it out when I'm going to be gone past her feeding times. She's a total junkie for the dry food though. After I give her some she doesn't want wet food when I put it out. I have a water fountain, a bowl, and I turn on the tap whenever she jumps in the bathroom sink (she looooves he tap!)

Old 10-20-2014, 03:36 PM

20,369 posts, read 14,644,040 times
www.catinfo.org <-- has All The Answers.

Wet food is better than dry. Low carbs (less plant based fillers) is best, and fish should be avoided. Prescription foods are not better, especially if they're Hills. Hills is garbage. Wellness Core...it does not specifically cause illness, the problem is that it's DRY FOOD. Dry food will cause urinary blockage. It is my opinion that dry food is only acceptable when you just can't afford the money to feed wet food, or the time to make raw food. When people are feeding a lot of ferals, or shelter cats, or just have very little money, I'm understanding of feeding dry food. It's better than nothing.

Asking which wet food is best, you'll get plenty of answers...

1. Raw food is considered very healthy, but you MUST follow a proper recipe. Information in the above link if you're interested. It's also cheaper (by far) than canned.

2. One of the healthiest canned foods I've found is Tiki Cat, but I only buy the 2 flavors that don't have fish (they are chicken varieties.) Really low carbs!

3. The cheapest food I give (I feed a variety) is Fancy Feast chunky or classic turkey or chicken. It's ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats