Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 08:34 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times

Advertisements

I have had this cat for about 10 years now. He is a good and smart cat. However, I just can't deal with what happened last night. I now have a dead huge mouse or rat lying outside my patio door. He's done this with a bird before and I think I had a BF at the time who handled that, but this is either a HUGE mouse or a rat. Anyway, and fortunately, I have a dishwasher repair guy coming today and I'm going to offer him $ if he'll sweep the dead creature into a paper bag so I can put it in the trash. And wouldn't you know it - trash day was yesterday. Fortunately, it's not summer and 110 degrees right now.

I also have two small dogs that must be confined to a certain area (two rooms). Well, try telling a cat not to barge through the gate which means I am constantly jumping up to shut the gate. I just paid $5K to rip up all the carpet in this house and will NOT have my house ruined again due to animals, which is why the dogs are kept in two areas and I don't know what my cat does when he roams around the house.

I have a friend who loves my cat and I've offered my cat to him. While he would LOVE to take my cat, his wife is another story. I've left him a message explaining the situation to see if he wants to take my cat.

What would you do? My cat is a red tabby, medium hair, very smart and nice so I am thinking someone better suited to cat behavior would be a better owner. I won't put an ad out as you never know what kind of weirdos are out there who could abuse an animal. So I either find an owner I can trust or I surrender my cat out for adoption. Any other ideas anyone has?

Well, I'm off to get some $ and wine. If the guy won't accept $ for it and help me out, I'll just drink wine and handle it myself. This is how much I cannot take finding dead animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 09:25 AM

41,947 posts, read 75,144,160 times
If you can scoop up dog poop, you can scoop up a dead mouse.

One solution would be to keep the cat indoors; unless you have mice in your house, he won't be able to kill one. Another is to not have carpeting in your house if your pets' behavior offends you that much. The third solution is, after your poor pets have passed on, to not have anymore pets since you value your carpeting more than you do them.

Is one dead mouse the sole reason you are suddenly no longer willing to share your home with the cat that has lived with you for 10 years? Since you have other pets, you must know that a cat is not a toy or a temporary housemate to be discarded when it momentarily displeases you; a cat is a long-term commitment, dead mice, furballs and all.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:32 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
If you can scoop up dog poop, you can scoop up a dead mouse.
There is a big difference between poo and vomit and hairballs, none of which I like and which I do take care of and a dead rat or mouse or dead any kind of animal. Once my cat dragged in a lizard half alive and I just freaked. Fortunately, it wasn't a big lizard so I handled that. Plus, my entire wrought iron plant stand was knocked over in the process and now I have to throw out all the plants.

I am really more concerned about what to do with my cat. I would love my cat to go to a really good home where cat behavior is better tolerated. I just can't risk this house getting ruined again and having to replace all the flooring all over. I can supervise the dogs, but not the cat.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:39 AM

41,947 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
There is a big difference between poo and vomit and hairballs
Yes. The dead mouse is not as messy, and does not smell unless you let it sit in your porch until it gets all maggoty or the crows get at it.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:40 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,662,886 times
My heart goes out to your poor animals, who you treat as an inconvenience rather then live beautiful beings with a beating heart.

Please find homes for ALL your animals, for your heart does not love them. No judgment here. Some people love animals, others don't. You fall in the later category, and why you even have pets is beyond me. Be true to yourself, find honest to God good homes for your animals, and never again get another one.

Plants are more to your liking. Stick with plants. You can't go wrong.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:40 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,087,599 times
seriously, its a dead mouse, scoop it up and out.

You're using it as an excuse to get rid of your cat. If you dont want your cat, thats just how it is, but don't try to justify getting rid of your cat because of a little mouse

Old 01-04-2011, 09:54 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,036,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
My heart goes out to your poor animals, who you treat as an inconvenience rather then live beautiful beings with a beating heart.

Please find homes for ALL your animals, for your heart does not love them. No judgment here. Some people love animals, others don't. You fall in the later category, and why you even have pets is beyond me. Be true to yourself, find honest to God good homes for your animals, and never again get another one.

Plants are more to your liking. Stick with plants. You can't go wrong.
I agree with GOE and every one else on here. I do see a problem with plants. Why do you have to throw them out? Can't you just re-plant them? I remember way back, a cat of my Mom's who would knock over the house plants,(only happened when my Aunt visited...I think Silky was jealous of the time my Mom spent with said Aunt). My Mom would just re-plant the plants...not throw them out. I truly hope you can find a good home for ALL of your pets.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:00 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,490,423 times
Our cats and dogs are family. They didn't force us to take responsibility, care for them, provide a safe and loving home, etc. We made the choice. We made a lifetime commitment to them.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:22 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,941,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
There is a big difference between poo and vomit and hairballs, none of which I like and which I do take care of and a dead rat or mouse or dead any kind of animal. Once my cat dragged in a lizard half alive and I just freaked. Fortunately, it wasn't a big lizard so I handled that. Plus, my entire wrought iron plant stand was knocked over in the process and now I have to throw out all the plants.

I am really more concerned about what to do with my cat. I would love my cat to go to a really good home where cat behavior is better tolerated. I just can't risk this house getting ruined again and having to replace all the flooring all over. I can supervise the dogs, but not the cat.
No there is not. Your cat was bringing you a trophy and obviously loves you much more than you love them. It is absolutely unfair to have a cat for 10 years and then want to rehome it. If you had a problem with the cat, why not rehome it when it is still young and not attached to you? I agree with the others that state they are a lifetime commitment and that you need to realize that. If you don't want creatures on your porch, leave your cat indoors. Add a Sisal Scratcher and you will be all set. Sorry if you aren't getting the sympathy you expect but your cat is well, just being a cat.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:23 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
*breathe in slowly and remain calm and civil*

I agree with everyone else and wonder why you own pets at all if they're seemingly such a nuisance to you? Pets make all matters of small messes. They knock stuff over. Get over it. no carpeting is worth more than the lives of the animals YOU brought into your household and vowed to care for.

not only do I wonder why you got a cat (or pets at all) in the first place, but I wonder why you kept this cat for 10 years and only now decided you want to dump it. cats bring their owners gifts. it's a sign of affection you clearly don't deserve. if it bothers you so much, why not keep the cat indoors? the only gifts my two indoor boys give me are "dead" scrunchies and ponytail holders.

and is it that difficult to don some gloves, get a plastic bag, and pick up a dead mouse? or use a broom and dustpan? are you really going to go into hysterics if you have to sweep a small dead rodent off a step? really?

the pet overpopulation is horrendous in this economy, and even young, cute little kittens are being put down due to shortage of homes. look at the Pets page on any Craigslist site and see how many cats-many of them younger and more sought after than older cats- are being rehomed, often for dumb reasons (though few quite as dumb as yours).

since the chances of rehoming an older cat is slim, humanely putting the cat to sleep is a big possibility. here's what you do: bring the cat to a vet, go into the room, hold the cat and keep your eyes open as the vet looks for a vein to insert the needle. put your hand over your cat's heart (same heart that gave you unconditional love for TEN YEARS) and feel as it beats slower than stops completely. hold your dead pet in your hands and wonder if it was worth ending this cat's life over some idiot carpeting and a dumb plant.

and honestly, might as well rehome the dogs now instead of waiting until they're elderly and give them a shot of living in a home where they will be cherished as pets and not seen as inconveniences. keeping them cooped up in two rooms is cruel. dogs want to be by their people and be part of the family as much as possible, especially small dogs purposely bred to be companion dogs.

you're not a cat person, a dog person, or a pet person overall. stick w/ the plants
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats