Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 05:37 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,606,675 times

Advertisements

She looks & smells around it for awhile now -- yet never drinks from it (that I've caught her/seen.)

Any ideas how to assist her drinking from it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 05:48 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,489,814 times
Ours pretty much just played in the fountain. There favorite thing to do was to "sink" their toys.

I think you are a wet food feeder... correct? Water is a LOT less of an issue because the cats are getting moisture from their food. (I also add a little water to their food...just in case.)

Old 01-07-2011, 07:00 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,053,217 times
My one girl started drinking from it right away as she loved the faucet. The other 2 eventually started using it, I would say within a week, they use the bowl part. I have a food bowl next to it, so not sure if that helped with the other 2 getting use to it.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:35 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,643,570 times
How long has it been? Could take several days. She may eventually drink right from the stream, or not, but maybe at least from the bowl. Mine seemed to have stopped drinking from the stream for a while but now every so often I catch her drinking from it again. She's eating more wet food now so perhaps that has changed her drinking habits a bit. The other cat (no longer with us) who was really old when we got her one (at least 16, maybe 17) never would use the Drinkwell, even after we got a separate one. (Yes, I have two Drinkwells, and now just one cat. Makes for easy cleaning process though now that I'm alternating them. )

Old 01-07-2011, 08:19 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,552,682 times
I did not have any success with the water fountain I bought last summer for my one cat that is fed a kibble (prescription) diet. I've tried several times with it now.

When the kitten came, she used the fountain at first and I thought she would teach the other cat, but it was not to be, and now that the kitten is on an all canned diet she stopped using the fountain all together, so it's been put away.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:30 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,145,346 times
I have always had cats that were excited at the fountain part. They use it every day. Are you making sure that is there only source of water, they may be ignoring it if they have a bowl of water elsewhere that they are drinking from.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:33 PM

741 posts, read 1,379,169 times
tomcat makes a good point and it is one I did not think of years ago. That was, in part because my cats took to the fountain very quickly. I do not have one now, but notice that the water bowl in my bathroom vanity area needs refreshing much more often than the one in the kitchen area. They are filled from different faucets but otherwise are the same bowl type from the same water source.

Thinking about it: the one in the kitchen is next to their moist food bowls and the one in the bathroom area is "freestanding". Hmmm?

Old 01-08-2011, 07:56 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,820,455 times
I read somewhere that cats don't like their food and water sources too close together. And based on personal experimentation after that, it seems to be true with my two.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:03 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,490,434 times
A friend of mine has a couple of Drinkwells: her one cat waits till someone fills it up before using it. And for weird, that cat prefers the older one.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:51 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,416,292 times
Nothing ever goes right. My male cat likes drinking from a trickle in the faucet so I bought a fountain Saturday. For some reason both cats pounced in and started drinking from the bowl, before I'd even finished filling the reservoir/turned it on. They loved it, don't know why. I plugged it in....it didn't come on. The motor was defective. So today I exchanged it, filled it, no one was around, I turned it on. And they're both scared of it. Both ran away from it. I've unplugged it so hopefully they can get used to it as a regular bowl of wateragain. Why do things get so difficult with cats? I guess that's part of their charm though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats