Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 09:07 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times

Advertisements

I saw this on the new pet show on HMC. A vet said if you have an overweight cat you should feed them only wet food. The reason is if you 'free' feed kibble some cats just like the taste of the kibble and will overeat.

OK.. So I have a one cat that is huge. I feed my cats can and dry kibble but he is the only one that is FAT.

Has anyone ever done this to get a cat to lose weight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 09:25 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,239 times
My mom was advised to only feed wet food by her vet and it did help her cat lose weight. It's difficult at first to transition them. Maybe start giving less and less dry food until you're only feeding wet. Also try feeding them the wet food more frequently. I feed wet food 3 times per day so my kitties mostly eat that.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:46 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I saw this on the new pet show on HMC. A vet said if you have an overweight cat you should feed them only wet food. The reason is if you 'free' feed kibble some cats just like the taste of the kibble and will overeat.

OK.. So I have a one cat that is huge. I feed my cats can and dry kibble but he is the only one that is FAT.

Has anyone ever done this to get a cat to lose weight?
There are mannnnny reasons to feed wet, but one of the reasons not to free feed dry kibble IS due to obesity and other medical issues.

Our vet recommended an all wet diet due to another medical issue, BUT he also explained that our "fatty" would also lose and maintain an optimal weight eating a species appropriate diet.

Due to trial and error (on my part), it took about a year for our fatty to achieve a healthy weight.

I didn't want him to drop weight too fast or starve, so I weighed him often to keep a close eye on his weight loss. (The felines that weren't fat, did NOT lose weight.)

PS I did start off by slowly "transitioning" from dry to wet. Slowly cutting down on the dry and adding more wet. If I had to do it all over again, I would make a clean break. I found many of our felines wanting to "hold out" for dry. As long as they knew dry was available... it got ugly here at times. lol

We feed three small meals a day. Vet said two meals would be fine. 3 small meals keep them all happy... since they were used to eating whenever for so long.

Last edited by Lola4; 01-11-2011 at 01:55 PM..

Old 01-11-2011, 03:53 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
I agree with the above post. Cats who are overwieght should lose weight very slowly, it is very dangerous for an obese cat to loose weight too fast. no more than a pound every six months.

Canned food, as was said is better for cats for a ton of reasons but one of the reasons it is better for weight loss and weight maintenance is because it is higher in protein and (most) lower in carbs, which is what cats need to thrive. Plus you can add a little water to the canned food which gets them more of that crucial moisture they need, slows down a gobbler, and makes him feel more full.

I recommend a complete check up including blood work and urinalysis before starting any cat on a reduced food weight loss program.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:39 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,291,045 times
Two of our cats were overweight. Switching to canned food got one to a healthy weight. The other is improved, but still overweight. (She has other issues.)

Old 01-12-2011, 09:19 AM

Thanks.. I have moved the kibble so he can't get to it. I just found it interesting that he stated that some cats will overeat the kibble because they like the taste of it, not because they were hungry. (sounds like me and cheeze-its )

Last edited by Keeper; 01-12-2011 at 09:29 AM..

Old 01-12-2011, 10:30 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times
I'm going to try (once again) to feed wet. The cheeze-its analogy is what I worry about. My girl is very petite, a VERY fussy eater when it comes to wet food, cat treats, human food, you name it. I seldom give them fish but once in a blue moon I give them a small spoonful of tuna, and she's crazy about it half the time, totally uninterested the other half. The only thing she eats consistently is her kibble. She doesn't need to lose weight at all, which is why I think I need to transition gradually for her sake. But if I feed fatty-boy wet food AND have kibble available I worry he'll just get bigger. Any thoughts anyone?

Old 01-12-2011, 11:46 AM

455 posts, read 1,238,720 times
Aww he is adorable. Is he an outdoor cat?

I had to put one of my previous outdoor cats on a diet. He was on wet food and ate four sachets a day. He wasn't interested in Kibble.

I managed to cut him down to two sachets a day (one in the morning, one in the evening). He was still huge.

I mentioned his diet to my neighbour who laughed her socks off, she hadn't realised there were a problem and had also been feeding him loads.

Is it possible that your lad is being fed by neighbours too?

You will find it difficult to monitor his diet if you have more than one cat, but I would start to gradually reduce the amount of food you give him.

Just be aware that if you change his food he could become loose for a few days.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:57 AM

455 posts, read 1,238,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I'm going to try (once again) to feed wet. The cheeze-its analogy is what I worry about. My girl is very petite, a VERY fussy eater when it comes to wet food, cat treats, human food, you name it. I seldom give them fish but once in a blue moon I give them a small spoonful of tuna, and she's crazy about it half the time, totally uninterested the other half. The only thing she eats consistently is her kibble. She doesn't need to lose weight at all, which is why I think I need to transition gradually for her sake. But if I feed fatty-boy wet food AND have kibble available I worry he'll just get bigger. Any thoughts anyone?

My thoughts are that my cats being indoor cats no-one can give them additional food. They are fed both wet food and kibble.

They only eat what they need, their dishes are never empty.

Cats also need exercise, its easy for an outdoor cat to keep active, it isn't as easy with indoor cats. I find having more than one cat and having lots of climbing frames etc helps.

There is a difference between a normal small, medium and large cat as opposed to a fat cat. ie my two DSHs are small cats, my Ragdoll is huge guy but he isn't fat.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:42 PM

He is an indoor cat mainly. He does go out on the deck but he never leaves my yard. He surely can't jump the fence.

Ironically since I put the kibble up he really isn't eating that much. I feed him 1 1/2 can a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats