Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 07:33 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. I will NEVER try that cat litter ! I am so glad for this thread as I hate ants .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 03:23 AM

1 posts, read 4,631 times
The ant problem is more likely an issue of sugar in your cats urine from likely diabetes. Best to get the cat checked out at the vet. The ants are attracted to the sugar.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:02 AM

6 posts, read 12,948 times
I know its been a while but the Breeze system is pretty amazing. Its an open top plastic box with dust-free pellets that dont really track. There are small slits on the bottom of box so that urine can trickle through the pellets and down into a secret drawer thats lined with an absorbing pad (like a puppy pad). Solid excrements will stay up top and a few pellets will stick when you toss it out everyday so just fill/replace pellets every month or 2, and replace urine pad every week. I've never had problems with odors or ants.... well, until I moved to Hawaii. $2000 for 440 square feet and somehow this is the norm, constant cleaning, toothbrushes and shampoos in ziplocks, canned cat food in the fridge, and still they wander across my walls and sometimes hang out on the urine pad. Its separate from the pellets so kitty never has to touch it but I'm scared that they may become bold enough to hang out up top and I'm affraid that switching to a less expensive setup will only cause more mess and vermin. Any ideas on cat friendly ways to repell ants, a litter additive, sprinkle of something in his kibble ?

Old 02-03-2015, 05:24 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
I've been using Worlds Best for more than 7 years, and for us it is the world's best. I've never had an issue with cats wanting to eat it nor have I ever had any ants. I'm surprised at reports from others about these problems. Who knew.

I moved away from clay because of the dust and tracking and tried pine and newspaper based litters which didn't clump well at all. I pet sat for my cousin who had the Breeze system (she's now ditched it), and although the concept is good, the cats never liked stepping on the bigger pellets, and for me, changing out the pad in the tray was a pain as well as, for my cousin, expensive. We tried replacing the pads with layers of paper towels. That was a decent substitute, but more messy than the pads. What bugged me most was the stench when pulling out the tray.

Since ants seem to be a problem regardless of litter type (but I'm more inclined to think, like YSO10, it's not the litter but the chemical contents in cats' liquid and solid deposits), maybe adding baking soda to the litter might be a deterent?

Old 02-03-2015, 01:02 PM

20,361 posts, read 14,636,289 times
I wonder if it was the litter or the waste, too...and if it was the waste, whether higher carb foods are to blame, full of natural sugars? Speaking of sugar in food, you know they say cats can't taste sweet flavors, I've read that somewhere...yet mine will attack a plate of syrup left sitting after my kid eats a waffle, if allowed to do so. I just don't know about that cat sometimes...

I like clumping clay, I use Dr. Elsey's blue bag. I've also used one of the lightweight ones (Cats' Pride I think) and it worked OK except that the particles were so light they stuck to his paws more, and tracked out more. I have a rug under the litterbox, that seems to catch the heavier grit he tracks out within about a foot and a half distance and I just vacuum frequently. I'm willing to try any clumping, unscented, low-dust clay litter at least once. So far nothing has been better than Dr. Elseys.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:08 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,353,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetRay View Post
Soooo, I bought World's Best Cat Litter a few days ago to try it out. (yeah that stuff does NOT work) But anyways, I am finding ants each day around the litter box!!! I've never had this problem with any other cat litter that I've tried. The other day I found some ants and thought it was weird. Plus I've never seen ants anywhere else in my home, ever. But after getting rid of them, I figured, 'ok well hopefully that's a one time thing.' But nope! Just found even more of them and saw some carrying the cat litter! Gross! Sooo, as I'm sure you can guess, but I'm NEVER gonna buy that stuff again!

Has anyone else here ever had that problem??
Here are some natural ant repellents:
13 natural remedies for the ant invasion | MNN - Mother Nature Network
You could put some of these in or around the cat box, if your kitty doesn't object.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:35 AM

10 posts, read 22,200 times
Try peppermint oil! I swear by this stuff for ants and it also seems to work great for other insects like stink bugs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs0d6YckbUA

Old 04-17-2017, 09:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,753 times
I never had ants. The new tenants above me has a cat n my bathroom is infested with ants.. help!!!!!

Old 08-24-2017, 06:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,664 times
What would be considered the best cat litter? I buy the febreeze clumping litter, however there are hundreds of ants around the litter box, and throughout my room. I even had a few wake me up this morning and I HATE bugs. What would be a litter similar to the febreeze clumping litter, but would get rid of the ants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats