Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 01:51 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,838,976 times

Advertisements

Cries all the time. Especially when he isn't home. Which is a lot. Nice to have the place to all to myself but not nice to be jolted awake constantly. Last week it was like an alarm clock going off at random times throughout the night. Once it was 3 separate times in the same night and even though I went to bed early that night I was so burned out at work all day.

I am not a very easy sleeper so sometimes it can take hours to get back to sleep. This morning I was unable to get back to sleep at all after waking up at 2:45am.

Sometimes he will stay elsewhere for a week or two and just pop in to feed the cats and change the litter box leaving me to deal with the aftermath (they are not stereotypical in that they are very high maintenence and don't like to be alone).

The real problem cat who has a loud howl he has had for over ten years. I suggested that when he house sits he puts the cat in a kennel but he says he can't afford it.

AFICT, this cat has been his closest companion so I am sure he would resist any suggestions to get rid of it. If I could afford it I would just move and let him try to find someone to pay the other half of the rent willing to put up with it or who would get rough with him over the cat or who wouldn't mind just throwing the cat out when woken up. (There are no outside cats in my neighborhood. There are raccoons and coyotes, but no cats).

I am an animal lover too so I won't throw his cat into the elements but I also don't feel this should be a shared responsibility.

I recently had my hours cut and I can't afford to move but guess I will have to consider it since a lack of sleep can seriously affect my job performance and quality of life.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 01:58 PM

143 posts, read 374,796 times
You say you're an animal lover - do you like these cats? Would it be possible for them to sleep in your room, with you? If they are just lonely, then you being there can probably ease most of their sorrow, lol. If you leave your door open, try shutting them in with you so they can't roam and then feel alone.

If they already do, or if you don't like these guys, then have you tried white noise? A box fan or one of those machine thingers. Or stuff the crevice around your door with a towel.

Honestly, if he's still actually feeding them and taking care of their litter, and you're in financial straits, I'd try to find a way to block the noise before considering a move.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:06 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,671,730 times
Have you tried a white noise machine or ear plugs?

Old 01-12-2011, 02:15 PM

292 posts, read 1,244,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
Sometimes he will stay elsewhere for a week or two and just pop in to feed the cats and change the litter box leaving me to deal with the aftermath (they are not stereotypical in that they are very high maintenence and don't like to be alone).

AFICT, this cat has been his closest companion so I am sure he would resist any suggestions to get rid of it. If I could afford it I would just move and let him try to find someone to pay the other half of the rent willing to put up with it or who would get rough with him over the cat or who wouldn't mind just throwing the cat out when woken up. (There are no outside cats in my neighborhood. There are raccoons and coyotes, but no cats).

I am an animal lover too so I won't throw his cat into the elements but I also don't feel this should be a shared responsibility.
Yeah, don't put them outside, especially if you have coyotes. That won't end well.

Those cats are not high-maintenance at all if they're unhappy because he spends as much as two weeks away at a time. He's neglecting them. They need companionship occasionally--not as much as a dog--but they still need to interact with their owners, even for just a few minutes a day. Leaving to go away for a week or two for vacation a couple of times a year is one thing, but if he's doing this all the time, he's not giving his pets the attention they need. Why is he staying elsewhere?

Old 01-12-2011, 02:25 PM

He house sits. He will hang out for a bit every day then take off.

One of the cats peed in my room once so I don't want him in here. He also has long hair. The little one reacted well to behaviour modification and comes in my room sometimes.

I often sleep with the radio on but next to me at a low volume.

When my roommate is home, blaring the TV and earplugs can drown out/equalize the noise level but then when he wants to go to bed it keeps him up. One of the cats cries sometimes when he is here but he acts quickly to stop it.

Aside from the crying and the time he peed in my room I like him just fine.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:30 PM

292 posts, read 1,244,645 times
Oh, also, the howling cat that is older...it could also be a medical condition or cat "senility" (they can get disoriented and confused just like we do). Does he take them to the vet at least yearly for a checkup? If not, he should be doing that.

If the thread starts to veer farther towards cat behavior/owner issues any more, you might want to repost this in the Cats forum under Pets or have the mods move it.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:08 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,160,229 times
Get a dog.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:16 PM

7,644 posts, read 8,716,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
AFICT, this cat has been his closest companion
But he apparently spends much less time with the cat then you do?

Old 01-12-2011, 07:51 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,289,437 times
Did he move in with you or did you move in with him? And has the cat been there since day 1?

Old 01-12-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post
Did he move in with you or did you move in with him? And has the cat been there since day 1?
I moved in with him and the cat has been here since day 1.

No way this dude can pay the rent alone. He burned through a few roommates before he got me putting him in major debt. Of course if I were to be forced out I would send the landlord a letter explaining the situation. So if he has trouble filling the room and coming up with the rent there wouldn't be any mistaking why.

I agree the cat should see a vet but this dude is even poorer than me so it isn't likely. Funny thing is he mentioned the cat might be getting senile. I didn't know that was something that actually happened to cats.

Maybe the cat will die of medical neglect soon and will be replaced by a kitten that can be easily trained or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats