Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 11:00 AM

563 posts, read 2,569,402 times

Advertisements

Ok so I know cat litter selection and preference run the gamet (spelling ) for people. I am no different. I have tried almost everything out there at least once and being a multi-cat household, I have preferences and criteria that I look for and what may work for one or what may have been suggested, either I do not like, or does not work. So take my two cents and do with it what you will but I have some praise to give to some litters and thought I would share with fellow CD pet owners.

I have never been a fan of clumping litter. No matter what I did, I always felt it was more work to clean the box between changes, (some brands gets like glue in the box ). Either it did not keep odor down, or was not effective in its intended purpose (ie. "CLUMPING"), it tracked everywhere (nature of the small granules), etc. Well, my wife was cat-sitting for a friend and she was telling me about this litter that the woman used. No odor, clumped like cement, huge hard chunks, etc. Turns out the woman was using Petco brand clumping litter with MAX odor control. So, we decided to try it since our cats are true testers of litter. Well, I have to say, this is one of the best litters I have used. Mind you, I was never a clumping litter person but this stuff clumps like cement, scoops easily (although we are using this metal type scoop which is another variable I am investigating regarding scoopness ), etc. It lasts a long time too. Cats seem to like it as its the most used box. I compared it to Petsmart's Exquisicat brand line. Theirs is also good IMO, although the wife prefers Petco. (It is different litter). I suggest you check it out.

So there is my little review and promotion of a new litter I seem to have good luck with. As for those of you who still use or like clay litter (myself included), I have found Cat's Pride Clay Litter to be the best for my use.

For those greener people out there (myself included when I can be green), one of my staples is the Pellets from Feline Pine (Although down here in Florida, Publix supermarket has their own pine pellets, significantly cheaper than Feline Pine and work just as good). The pellets basically turn to sawdust so if you have patience and do not mind sifting the litter box, a 7lb bag can easily last a month.

I also did like the effectiveness of Feline Pine scoopable litter. It came in a
7 lb box and was like sawdust. It worked real well but it turned to glue in the box...very sticky to get off the box and the clumps did not hold together well, despite the glue-like issues. I had to use litter pan liners to make it more manageable (which I do not really care for and neither do the cats).

Hope my little unbiased review can help some people who may be in the market for some new litter options.

Below is my little informal list (no specific order of preference) of suggested litters and litters to avoid based on my personal experiences.

Suggested Litters
1. Cat's Pride (clay litter)
2. Johnny Cat (same manufacturer
as Cat's Pride just a bit lower in quality)
3. Feline Pine (pine pellet)
4. Publix Pine Litter(pine pellet)
5. Feline Pine scoopable (only because it has
good odor control but its not a preferred choice)
6. Petco Brand Scoopable litter (MAX odor control)
7. Petsmart Exquisicat scoopable litter (no fragrance)
8. Walmart brand Special Kitty Premium (clay litter)
--I called Walmart and depending on where you live, they told me Cat's Pride
manufacturer Oil-Dri Corporation manufacturers it)

Litters I avoid
1. Sweet Scoop (bad luck for me all around in its claims and effectiveness)
2. Tidy Cat (all varieties) I find them to not control odor but that was just my experience...granules are small but I called Purina too and depending on where the litter is manufactured, sometimes you get big clay granules that I find work better)
3. Cat's Pride (scoop) Doesn't clump well

Litters I have not tried because I have been too cheap to splurge

EverClean
World's Best Cat litter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 09:37 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
My favorite cat litter is the Maker's Mark (store brand) clumping litter from Sam's. Last time I was there, they didn't have it but did have Fresh Step clumping litter instead (it cost more). The litter works great, but they went overboard on the scent IMO. I suppose if one puts the clumps in the trash, it's good because the odor would help mask the decomposition, but for me it's overkill.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
My favorite cat litter is the Maker's Mark (store brand) clumping litter from Sam's. Last time I was there, they didn't have it but did have Fresh Step clumping litter instead (it cost more). The litter works great, but they went overboard on the scent IMO. I suppose if one puts the clumps in the trash, it's good because the odor would help mask the decomposition, but for me it's overkill.
I could not remember the name of that litter. Sam's Clubs around here in Florida stopped carrying it a long time ago. (Maybe 2 years ago). Sam's in NY never had it. I used to buy the clay litter and it was real good. I never got to try the clumping. I did not mention Fresh step but that worked pretty well too. Its just a bit pricy.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:40 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
I agree about the Feline Pine scoopable - it has guar gum to make it clump and it seems to take forever to dry the urine - icky slimy mess before it dries.

I keep going back to the pine pellets - in the end it just seems easier to dump the box of it and it does well with the odor control.

I have used the World's Best Cat Litter - corn based. Decent odor control at first but after a while it stinks. Good clumping in nice hard as cement clumps that dry reasonably fast.

Sometimes, I think it is best to mix a couple of kinds - the pine is best for odor control but good clumping can be better until it isn't.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:37 AM

283 posts, read 892,375 times
I have the Tidy Cat's breeze system. I love it! It does not track all over my house which is a big one for me. It does a good job with containing odors. You do smell a tiny bit when she does a poop but overall, it's a great system.

I have tried World's Best. It's great with odors and I love how it's flushable. But it tracks all over my house. I also tried Fresh Scoop clay litter which I don't recommend. It does not contain odor well. It's very dusty and I worry about how that would effect my cat.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:38 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akcher View Post
I have the Tidy Cat's breeze system. I love it! It does not track all over my house which is a big one for me. It does a good job with containing odors. You do smell a tiny bit when she does a poop but overall, it's a great system.

I have tried World's Best. It's great with odors and I love how it's flushable. But it tracks all over my house. I also tried Fresh Scoop clay litter which I don't recommend. It does not contain odor well. It's very dusty and I worry about how that would effect my cat.

We love the Breeze system as well! No tracking of litter!

Old 03-16-2009, 03:32 PM

What is this breeze system? I never heard of it.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:42 PM

It is made by Tidy Cat....the box uses pellets...not sure what they are made of...almost seem ceramic....the urine seeps down thru the pellets to a tray that holds an absorbent pad...tray slides out easily to be cleaned as often as you please, feces are cleaned out like a normal box. I am amazed at 1) there is no urine smell....although I do change the pad frequently. But I have 5 cats! Like mentioned...there is absolutely NO TRACKING of litter! The pellets are changed out...but maybe every 6 months....I have added pellets since some come out with the scooping.
I also have 2 LitterMaids...and only continue to use them since they cost me so much initially. But all the cats took to the Breeze right off. They continue to use both sets of boxes.
I found the boxes are cheapest at Target or Walmart....Petco charges about $20 more!
I paid $35.00 for the whole kit...box, scoop, litter and pads. The box says use 1 bag of pellets...I didn't think that was enough, so added a second bag.
I might add if anyone decides to try this, make sure you go slowly in the transition of the litter. It differs greatly from any other litter we have ever used and I'm sure, some cats may not take to it.

Product Overview :: Products :: BREEZEâ„¢

PS....I see they often offer $5 printable coupons.....so google before you buy!

Old 03-16-2009, 10:17 PM

947 posts, read 3,408,080 times
If you use the pellets, without that "system" you just leave the urine there and take out the "poop"? How do you scoop it, just pick up the pieces of poop?

Is it Low dust? One of my girls has asthma, just recently diagnosed, a few weeks ago.

Otherwise I have used the Wheat kind, No good.
The, World's Best is pretty good, but now I need something new no or very very low dust, and No scent.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4Trees View Post
If you use the pellets, without that "system" you just leave the urine there and take out the "poop"? How do you scoop it, just pick up the pieces of poop?

Is it Low dust? One of my girls has asthma, just recently diagnosed, a few weeks ago.

Otherwise I have used the Wheat kind, No good.
The, World's Best is pretty good, but now I need something new no or very very low dust, and No scent.
It wouldn't work without the Breeze box. The pellets are not absorbent in any way so the urine would just lay in the bottom of the box. The Breeze box is slotted at the bottom, so the urine seeps thru to the tray with the pad. There is absolutely NO dust and NO scent....because your using just the pellets. Poop must be scooped out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats