Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 07:46 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,665,174 times

Advertisements

Only when I run out of commands, and when my wild boys are out of control, do I use the water bottle. Most times, all I have to do is take the bottle out, shake it and say NO! and LOL they run and stop the misbehaving.

I don't encourage massive use of the water bottle (I don't like the word pistol for the negative associations with war) BUT, when desperation arises and the famous "selective hearing" is on, the water bottle comes out to ensure that it is known I mean business.

And you know what? I never stopped to think about what was said here. When I clean none of my cats get hysterical and run, but are curious to see what I am doing, how fast I am doing it, and which cat is going to be first in line to get his or her scents on the clean area first. LOL

There is actually one main rule in our home. It's called CATS RULE. (grin)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 10:01 PM

18,061 posts, read 15,653,675 times
My cat is very ornery at times. And she talks back too! If I say "NO" and point my finger at her she'll come right over and either swat at my finger or bite my finger!

Little she devil!

Old 01-24-2011, 10:10 PM

684 posts, read 1,150,517 times
The "cat gun" (water pistol) has worked well, along with a loud "NO!" Now, all I need to do is grab "the gun", even when it's empty, and they know that they need to quit what they're doing.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
My cat is very ornery at times. And she talks back too! If I say "NO" and point my finger at her she'll come right over and either swat at my finger or bite my finger!

Little she devil!
Oh too funny!

Old 01-25-2011, 05:45 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,242 times
Quote:

Little she devil!
Our Roxy could be friends with your cat. While telling Roxy to get off the counter, I pointed my finger at her. She swatted my finger. It IS rude to finger point... lesson learned.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:56 PM

18,061 posts, read 15,653,675 times
Well yah, but it's rude to be scratching mom's good chairs too! My cat will verbally talk back as well. She has so many different vocalizations I need to get them recorded. Different ones for different moods.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:59 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,242 times
Quote:
Well yah, but it's rude to be scratching mom's good chairs too! My cat will verbally talk back as well. She has so many different vocalizations I need to get them recorded. Different ones for different moods.
I absolutely LOVE the talkers! Hubby and I always have a good time "interpreting" what is being said.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
I absolutely LOVE the talkers! Hubby and I always have a good time "interpreting" what is being said.
I go one step further. I mimic each one of my talkers, and we actually have conversations. In one case, it is singing. I have a very good ear for music, so the tones and style are exactly the same. There are times, hubby doesn't know if it is me or say, Tigger, who is actually talking. LOL I'm not too sure at times what we are actually saying, but they get such a kick out of me talking in "their" native language! LOL

Old 01-27-2011, 11:59 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,826,998 times
I've used water before. Sometimes I shout at the cat. If one is on the counter and I say her name she looks at me. When I stand up she gets off the counter.

Usually they know right from wrong and usually a voice command is enough. However, I have used water guns before.

Of course every cat is different.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:05 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,826,998 times
Quote:

Little she devil!
Two of mine do that. One swats and one bites at me, though not hard. They're like spoiled teenagers sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats