Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 08:43 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,987 times

Advertisements

One of my two cats likes to drink out of the toilet. I'm worried he's going to get sick from the chemicals in toilet cleaning products, plus he sometimes likes to lick me. Is there anything I can do to stop this other than keep the toilet lid down all the time? Maybe something harmless but distasteful to cats that I can put in the toilet tank?

I purchased a Petmate fountain and I've seen him drinking from it, so I would like to stop him from drinking out of the commode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 08:48 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
If you're having a hard time remembering to close the lid, or if other people are, take a picture of him drinking toilet water and tape it to the top of the tank. I did this with a pic of my drenched kitten after the 2nd time he fell in the toilet!

Old 01-19-2011, 08:50 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,666,617 times
Just keep the toilet lids down and keep the Petmate fountain clean. I've had experience with fountains, and they tend to get slimy from the cats' saliva. Also, gunk tends to start collecting in the small spaces, so make sure you wash your pet fountain out about once per week, and refill it with clean, water. I actually used a baby bottle cleaner to get into those tight spaces that after awhile can get pretty disgusting. Please avoid tap water as it contains substances that a cat has a tough time digesting. One off the top of my head is flouride.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Youleave a toile bowl open like a water hole and wander why tehy use it? Keep the lid closed or shut the bathroom door(s).

Old 01-19-2011, 08:57 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Either keep the lid down or stop using the chemicals that go in the tank. I clean my toilets once a week and flush them twice. Then the animals are free to drink.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:18 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
Just keep the toilet lids down and keep the Petmate fountain clean. I've had experience with fountains, and they tend to get slimy from the cats' saliva. Also, gunk tends to start collecting in the small spaces, so make sure you wash your pet fountain out about once per week, and refill it with clean, water. I actually used a baby bottle cleaner to get into those tight spaces that after awhile can get pretty disgusting. Please avoid tap water as it contains substances that a cat has a tough time digesting. One off the top of my head is flouride.
I don't even use bottled water for my family but now I'm supposed to buy it for my cats? I don't think so.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:39 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,987 times
My cats have always had plain tap water and it's never had any ill effects as far as I know. However, I do plan on buying distilled water for the fountain, mainly because the water here is very hard. I don't want crusty deposits gumming up the pump. One of the local grocery stores sells reusable gallon sized jugs and lets you refill them for $0.30 a gallon, so it's not too expensive.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:48 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
Im a guy & i have had 10 cats over the yrs. Not 1 cat has ever drinken out of the toilet bowl cause the lid is ALWAYS down when not in use.

KEEP THE TOILET LID DOWN. PROBLEM SOLVED.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:41 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,493,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I don't even use bottled water for my family but now I'm supposed to buy it for my cats? I don't think so.
I said the same thing to my vet. lol He explained his recommendation wasn't due to what is in tap water so much, but because of what tap water and combined cat saliva does to the drinking fountain. Something about it being able to get germ-y fairly easily. I don't remember his exact explanation/details now...I tossed the fountain not long after. It is easier to wash a water bowl every day, then it is to clean a fountain once a week. IMHO

Old 01-20-2011, 09:36 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
The toilet thing is driving me nuts. No one can remember to close it and so I find myself washing it out every time I use it. Dawn and brush, then flush until there are no soap suds. Geez, I bet the environmental police would have a field day with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats