U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2011, 09:07 AM

7,329 posts, read 15,499,762 times

Advertisements

Last night my cat started shaking his head and scratching his ears a lot. He had a yeast infection in his ears last summer. I clean his ears occasionally with the cleanser the vet gave me then (cleaner, not medicine) He never has wax or anything, and he didn't when I cleaned his ears last night. They don't have any odor. Does this sound like something other than a yeast infection? I thoughtof ear mites but I think they cause black gunk? Someone had told me apple cider vinegar is good for yeast infections and I'm thinking of using it just for a couple of days in case that's what it is, and see if it helps. Definitely won't let it go on longer than that before I call the vet. Does anyone have any thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 10:03 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,233,789 times
Hi, subject2change. The two thoughts that came to my mind were yeast infection and mites. Unless, your cat has become sensitive to the cleaner you are using, hmmmm, maybe that could be it. Why don't you try using a dilute solution of apple cider vinegar, making it approximately 1-10 solution? That is, 9 parts spring or filtered water to one part apple cider vinegar. See if that calms the itching down. If not, I would say you would have to rule out the beginnings of ear mites or another yeast infection.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

Old 02-27-2011, 04:34 AM

Thank you, Garden.
I used the vinegar twice yesterday and he seems worse if anything. Of course now it's Sunday.This morning he got into his litterbox and gave a big sneeze so I'm wondering about the pine litter I switched to a month or so ago. The dog I grew up with was allergic to the pine trees in our yard and I guess it's a common allergen for dogs. I hope not, because I really like the litter, but I'm going to the store when it opens to get some clay litter and see if that helps. If not he's going to see the Dr.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:54 AM

OH OH, now it sounds it may be an allergic reaction to the pine litter. You may want to think twice before you take him to your vet, because this also could be the beginning of an URI and your vet would be very unhappy if you brought a contagious cat in to see him.

Please stop with the vinegar. If this is making his ears worse, stop the cleaning. IF things don't clear up with the clay litter, and your cat is still itching his ears and now sneezing, this could be an URI. Keep us posted, subject2change.

Hang in there!

Old 02-27-2011, 01:14 PM

140 posts, read 286,630 times
If a Vet I went to got upset because I brought in a cat with a URI I would find a new vet. That is like your doctor getting upset because you came in his office when your were sick, doesn't make much sense now does it?

Vet offices are filled with sick animals that's why most of them are there.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:14 PM

Boy do I feel lucky I was in the room when Mickey sneezed, and that I had a dog who was allergic to pine trees. Who knows how long it would have taken me or the vet to figure out what was going on. I changed the litter, vacuumed really well, and it took several hours for the reaction to calm down but now his ears are 1000% better and he's not sneezing. Hooray!

Old 02-27-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offsetdude View Post
If a Vet I went to got upset because I brought in a cat with a URI I would find a new vet. That is like your doctor getting upset because you came in his office when your were sick, doesn't make much sense now does it?

Vet offices are filled with sick animals that's why most of them are there.
However, my vet who I trust, and I mean really trust, advised me to PLEASE not bring in a cat of mine who had the URI for it is highly contagious to other cats, and she did not wish to have an epidemic started. I had called her thinking something else was going on with this particular cat, and in describing the symptoms over the phone, I was told it was highly likely this cat had the URI and she would appreciate it very much PLEASE don't bring her in. Turns out, my vet was right and I was meowing up the wrong tree.

There is no cure of the URI and it just has to run its course. If you know alternative medicine, there are a few things you can do to ease a cat who has the discomfort of a URI. And common sense comes in handy as well. Over time, and with experience, you get the hang of things.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Boy do I feel lucky I was in the room when Mickey sneezed, and that I had a dog who was allergic to pine trees. Who knows how long it would have taken me or the vet to figure out what was going on. I changed the litter, vacuumed really well, and it took several hours for the reaction to calm down but now his ears are 1000% better and he's not sneezing. Hooray!
Oh, am I EVER relieved Mickey is A-OK. So, it was just the litter! Well, I'll be! Boy, whoever doesn't think cats are not sensitive do not know what they are talking about!

I sure bet you will sleep good tonight!

Old 03-01-2011, 09:52 PM

1,753 posts, read 5,131,675 times
Glad your furkid is better!!!

I bought several boxes of Feline Pine recently because it was being discontinued at a particular store, and was offered at a reduced price. I have noticed a few of ours sneezing. Bet that the litter is the problem.

I had forgotten about pine being an allergy trigger for our cats. (Pine cleaners can cause some SERIOUS problems for felines.)

Thanks for posting! I probably wouldn't have thought about the litter being the issue, if you hadn't.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
Glad your furkid is better!!!

I bought several boxes of Feline Pine recently because it was being discontinued at a particular store, and was offered at a reduced price. I have noticed a few of ours sneezing. Bet that the litter is the problem.

I had forgotten about pine being an allergy trigger for our cats. (Pine cleaners can cause some SERIOUS problems for felines.)

Thanks for posting! I probably wouldn't have thought about the litter being the issue, if you hadn't.
Why does stuff always come up right after you buy extra of something? One good thing is, when I went to buy the clay litter, they didn't have the Arm & Hammer unscented I used to buy, so I bought Fresh Step Scoopable Unscented instead and I'm quite impressed with it. It clumps better than anything I've tried, and it seems less dusty too.
Hope your cats are feeling better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats