Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 11:28 PM

327 posts, read 594,287 times

Advertisements

Ok I have no idea what's going on with Tinkerbell. The cat box is cleaned every day but I notice there's been pee on the papers on my tables and clothes and my bed even. And then today when we got home, my child was gonna do her homework at the coffee table and there's a puddle right in the middle of the table!

Just got Tinkerbell late summer of last year. She's been really good so I'm just really confused but also getting tired of it.

Have any of you had this problem? And if so, how did you deal with it and are your cats still doing it?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 12:22 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
The first thing I would do is take her to the vet ASAP to see if she has a urinary tract infection.

This is what Tinkerbell is thinking: "I pee in the litter box....it hurts/burns.....so I will try peeing somewhere else. Tried the papers, it hurt, tried the clothes, it hurt, tried the table, it hurt........." She is trying to get away from the pain the only way she knows how.

When this happens, the number ONE suspect is a urinary tract infection.

If a urinary infection is not the problem, come back and everyone here will try to help you figure out what else it could be.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:35 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
.........and, if it is a urinary tract infection.....ask the vet how long it will take for the pain to go away after treatment begins......then you will know when it is time to try to get her back to using the litterbox. Like maybe locking her in the bathroom {but only when you are sure the pain is gone} with the box until she uses it and finds out it doesn't hurt anymore.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:25 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,339 times
Besides the vet check for the very likely UTI, make sure the litter box has not been recently cleaned with harsh chemicals (i.e. bleach) and not well rinsed afterwards. Cats are very sensitive to odors.

If, after the UTI is cleared up, the litter box is still a problem I'd get a different litter box.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:14 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Agree with the others. Tinkerbell needs to see the vet. Either a bacterial infection or crystals, or both will cause this problem. Left untreated it only gets worse, and kidney problems eventually develop, and if it's crystals, stones will develop.

Tinkerbell is in pain, please get her in right away.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:30 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
i also agree...
first step in diagnosing litterbox issues is a vet check, kidney, liver and urinary tract

rule out those problems first, if theres no health issues its behavioural and the key will be figuring out why the cat is suddenly "missing"
in these cases 1: is the cat spayed, if not it could be hormonal
2: what do you use to clean the litterbox and how often do you do a FULL clean out, as another said, cats are incredibly sensivie to smell and plastic absorbs odors, you have to hit that fine line between making sure the box doesnt have a chemical smell but also doesnt reatin any amonia odor either.
try a new box...
3: have you changed the litter reacently, cats have sensitive feet and dont like some textures...try a new litter
4: is your box open or covered? some cats prefer privacy, other cats HATE covered boxes...try a new box...
5: size of box...a box that was big enough for a kitten or young cat may be too small for an older cat, some like more space ect...again, new box could be the answer
6: has anything chnaged IN the home, new dynamics, lots of guests, new boyfrined, child, ect...cats like routein, they like things to "be the same" and most cats HATE change which frequently leads to litterbox issues.
7: boredom...sounds odd i know but cats are masters of letting you know theres an issue. we had litterbox issues with my parents male cat, we ruled out everything else, and for him it was a form of boredom, more toys, more attention ect...

litterbox issues are frustrating, and theres lots of variables, the key is going to be first rule out health concerns...then if all clear youll need to adress hormaonal or behavioral concerns.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:56 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,666,032 times
Just about everything that needs to be said has been said here. Excellent advice here, SweetRay. Good luck and I really hope you figure out what the base cause is for the peeing.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:04 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,962 times
I also strongly advise that you take her to the Vet immediately. Don't delay this at all. Even if she has a UT infection, you will have peace of mind knowing that your cat is being taken care of and treated.

If she has a clean bill of health, then maybe your vet can make some additional recommendations regarding litter, etc.

Last edited by Gil3; 03-09-2011 at 03:12 PM..

Old 03-10-2011, 07:28 PM

327 posts, read 594,287 times
Thank you soooooo much to all of you for your advice!!!

Already called the vet and made an appt. Hopefully they can figure it out and give her meds if needed!

Old 03-10-2011, 07:32 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetRay View Post
Thank you soooooo much to all of you for your advice!!!

Already called the vet and made an appt. Hopefully they can figure it out and give her meds if needed!
Glad you made an appointment with your vet. Often pottying outside the box is a medical issue, and can be a VERY serious one at that.

If Tinkerbell checks out physically. Change brands of litter. Change the litter box location and/or add another box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats