Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2011, 10:48 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,981,062 times

Advertisements

As not to hijack (?) a thread I'll start a new thread.

I got one of my cats at a local Petco for $65. He was 4 1/2 months old. For my $65 he was already blood tested for FIV and FeLV, de-flead, wormed, had his first kitten shots and was neutered and temperament tested. I knew I was getting a healthy clean kitten. He was too young for the rabies vaccine so got that at 6 months.

There are no free vet clinics where I live. Another poster mentioned she has access to a free clinic.

You very seldom see free kittens on Craigslist who have been more than wormed. And when you ask, they didn't know what kind of worms the kittens had. They just picked up a wormer at Wal*Mart because, they claim, all kittens have worms. Fleas? They gave it a bath with dish soap. NO THANKS!

Most people do not have free vet clinics where they live so have to start at the vet as soon as they get the free kitten. It's going to be a lot more than $85 to get the free kitten completely vetted. And what do you do if it's positive for FIV or FeLV? You can soon have a very sick kitty on your hands and vet bills soaring into the stratosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 01:42 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times
I think Petsmart is equally as reasonable. These animals come from rescue groups so I support them wholeheartedly.
Hopefully we won't need a new cat anytime soon but I sure am tempted every time I go to Petsmart on Adoption Day.

We got our beloved but gone Pumpkin at a Petsmart Adoption Day. He had been to 3 or 4 weekend events and was totally offish to everybody who showed any interest until DH stopped by. Then it was love at first sight-for both of them. Attendants could not believe how Pumpkin reacted to seeing DH. He was our beloved companion for 15 years and he was grown when he came to us. I miss him all these years later.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:20 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,643,570 times
Remember that those adoption fees go to the shelter org, not Petco or Petsmart. The stores DONATE the space for these agencies to place cats for adoption (as well as to hold events with dogs sometimes, etc.) The fee is the same fee you would pay if you went to adopt at that particular shelter.

It's a small price to pay to know that your cat has been checked out AND to help keep a shelter in business.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:22 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,270,219 times
Ruby came from a shelter and was only $45.00 because she was an "older cat" . She was spayed, came with a microchip , a free doctor's visit and a huge bag a Wellness kibble. She is really the most affable cat I have ever had.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-09-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I think Petsmart is equally as reasonable. These animals come from rescue groups so I support them wholeheartedly.
We also support them by donating money every time we go there for cat food. Many cats find homes through these pet stores allowing Rescues to bring them in.

Quote:
Hopefully we won't need a new cat anytime soon but I sure am tempted every time I go to Petsmart on Adoption Day.

We got our beloved but gone Pumpkin at a Petsmart Adoption Day. He had been to 3 or 4 weekend events and was totally offish to everybody who showed any interest until DH stopped by. Then it was love at first sight-for both of them. Attendants could not believe how Pumpkin reacted to seeing DH. He was our beloved companion for 15 years and he was grown when he came to us. I miss him all these years later.
Oh God, I know how missing a special pet can go on and on and on.......

Old 04-09-2011, 10:08 PM

Default Greg and Nancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Remember that those adoption fees go to the shelter org, not Petco or Petsmart. The stores DONATE the space for these agencies to place cats for adoption (as well as to hold events with dogs sometimes, etc.) The fee is the same fee you would pay if you went to adopt at that particular shelter.

It's a small price to pay to know that your cat has been checked out AND to help keep a shelter in business.
Indeed it is a small price. None of the kittens on Craigslist had been tested. None had shots or had ever seen a vet. You don't know what you're bringing home. One home we went to was literally crawling away with fleas. The kittens, medium haired orange boys, were covered with them. We left there as fast as we could and I later sent her an email explaining how to clean up the mess as diplomatically as possible. She emailed me back that most of the kittens had died since I was there. She claimed she couldn't afford to spay the mother cats, not even at our low-cost spay clinic. I was depressed for the rest of the day. Tears come to my eyes just remembering and writing this. They were so cute but so pale and so emaciated and so covered in fleas. We left our clothes in the garage when we got home that night. We sprayed each other with DeepWoods-Off before entering the house. We sprayed the car with DW-Off and left the windows open. We took hot showers. We so feared a flea invasion knowing we were going to get some kittens.

The next day we went to our local shelter knowing it was a kill-shelter and came home with 2 kitties. Both checked for FIV and FeLV, wormed, no fleas or ear mites, both had their 1st kitten shot. The 6 wk old baby had a bad URI but we took her anyway. I knew by looking at her she would die if we left her. And she was adorable. Very fuzzy with ultra long whiskers. They said if she died they would replace her and we wouldn't have to pay again. We called our vet from the Shelter, explained where we were, and took both kitties straight there on the way home. She responded to the meds and canned food immediately and thrived. She's daddy's girl and his favorite.

They cost $103 each and that included a later rabies shot and spaying. We could have gotten $40 back on each cat with proof of spay, but we let them keep the $80 as a donation.

The Petcos and PetsMarts here are the best thing that ever happened to homeless kittens and cats. The cages empty almost as fast as they can fill them with kittens. Older cats take longer. It's sad to see them there after a few weeks as the kittens come and go. But some of the older cats do find homes.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:28 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,489,814 times
The animals up for adoption at PetCo in my area come from The Humane Society and other near-by shelters.
I don't remember how much we paid for our Leonard. I do remember he was half price because he wasn't a kitten and he had been adopted and returned once already. We got a SMOKING DEAL ...he is a sweeeeeetie pie!
One dog is also adopted.
It is cheaper to adopt, however, the rest of our furkid family weren't planned adoptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats