Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 07:18 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times

Advertisements

We have the turbo here too. I've always kept one, even though, until the kitten came, none of the current cats used it. Kitten loves it, every time she walks by it she gives the ball a whack, it's hilarious, and she spends a lot of time playing with it too.

The funniest thing is when I have someone here. It's the first thing she shows company, her turbo scratcher and what she can do with it.

She likes to pull something (a rug or newspaper for example) half way over it sometimes and watch the ball disappear and reappear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Yeah, there are always those things that are not really toys but turn out to be very interesting. Plastic bags are in that category, yes. Amber will lie on them but the big thing is licking them. And any cardboard box is attractive. She's not quite like the famous Maru with boxes, but still plenty interested (at 15!) A year or two ago when it came out I got here a sort of cat furniture piece made out of cardboard. Caboodle Corrugated Cat Furniture Perfect, right, given that she likes boxes? Not really. She was never much interested in that, preferring instead the real boxes, of course. I should have known....

How dare you presume to know what she wanted!

Old 04-12-2011, 07:28 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
My cat has a turbo. She uses it as a perch to watch me on the computer. Her favorite toys are snakes. Snakes, translated from cat to English, is white shoelaces. She loves killing them, batting at them, biting them, dragging them around the house and caterwauling so we know that it's time to play "kill snake."

She also chews plastic and cardboard, but she doesn't actually eat it. She just likes chewing on it. It must be a texture thing. And yes, she does chew. And gnaw. Amazing that an animal who is incapable of chewing, can chew so much. Surely I'm hallucinating and I don't actually see bits and pieces of 12-pack charmin plastic wrappers and cardboard boxes all over the house. Or maybe the leprachauns did it. Yeah.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:38 AM

I have two box chewers, but it is the boy who is really dedicated. It's difficult to find just the right box for him though. I offer them to him when they come in, his whole face lights up when he sees me tearing flaps off a box, but most are not up to par.

The one he has now came from PetCo and my goodness it's a good one. He's going to have it down to the ground in no time.

And the kitten is enjoying playing with the little pieces of cardboard, I am finding them all over the house, including in my bed!

Last edited by catsmom21; 04-24-2011 at 06:09 AM..

Old 04-12-2011, 09:42 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Yeah, there are always those things that are not really toys but turn out to be very interesting. Plastic bags are in that category, yes. Amber will lie on them but the big thing is licking them. And any cardboard box is attractive. She's not quite like the famous Maru with boxes, but still plenty interested (at 15!) A year or two ago when it came out I got here a sort of cat furniture piece made out of cardboard. Caboodle Corrugated Cat Furniture Perfect, right, given that she likes boxes? Not really. She was never much interested in that, preferring instead the real boxes, of course. I should have known....
That's a cat for you!!

Old 04-12-2011, 12:53 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
My cat has a turbo. She uses it as a perch to watch me on the computer. Her favorite toys are snakes. Snakes, translated from cat to English, is white shoelaces. She loves killing them, batting at them, biting them, dragging them around the house and caterwauling so we know that it's time to play "kill snake."
Snakes are part of their diet in the wild. I can't let my Phaedra near any kind of string or shoelace. She was already rushed to the vet for x-rays because she cut (not chewed) the elastic sting from a toy and swallowed it. She passed a short one time before that. After the 2nd time the vet suggested we remove anything "string" like from her environment. We feared she'd need surgery but she had apparently passed the second one as well and started to eat and pass feces again.

Quote:
She also chews plastic and cardboard, but she doesn't actually eat it. She just likes chewing on it. It must be a texture thing. And yes, she does chew. And gnaw.
Their molars are like scissors. The teeth bypass each other. They cut through meat and gristle when a cat eats it's normal diet. They go up and down. They don't have the kind of hinged jaw cattle and people have to actually "chew" as we do. They have no grinding surface on their molars. Their molars shear the meat into small pieces they can swallow. Fangs are just to hold their prey.

Quote:
Amazing that an animal who is incapable of chewing, can chew so much. Surely I'm hallucinating and I don't actually see bits and pieces of 12-pack charmin plastic wrappers and cardboard boxes all over the house. Or maybe the leprachauns did it. Yeah.
Think SHEARING, not chewing as we would on a piece of meat or fruit.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:54 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
That's a cat for you!!
Exactly. Keep it simple. You buy stuff for the cat and the most interesting bit is the bag or box it came in (unless it's food, of course). So just stick to the bags and boxes.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:57 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I have two box chewers, but it is the boy who is really dedicated. It's difficult to find just the right box for him though. I offer them to him when they come in, his whole face lights up when he sees me tearing flaps off a box, but most are not up to par.

The one he has now came from PetCo and my goodness it's a good one. He's going to have it down to the ground in no time.

And the kitten is enjoying playing with the little pieces of cardboard, I am finding them all over the house, including in my bed!
I bet it's keeping his teeth nice and white.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:01 PM

3 posts, read 3,320 times
my cat is a few weeks old loves to play with anything he mostly is active and wants attention

Old 02-29-2012, 04:03 PM

3 posts, read 3,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I bet it's keeping his teeth nice and white.
hahaha my cat does the same thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats