U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 01:58 AM

7,201 posts, read 13,722,040 times

Advertisements

Our cats are all over a year old now and have stopped playing with their large number of toys scattered throughout the house. Occasionally they'll bat one of the catnip mice around. This week we're going to round up all the toys and put them away except for a few toy mice. They loved the roller ball rings but don't even look at them anymore. They don't get excited at the interactive feathers on a stick either. I bought several different kind. The crinkle tunnel lays unused for weeks. The plastic and rayon play gym also. Ignored. Only the cat trees and scratching posts still get a workout every day. They're not babies anymore....

Are your adult cats still playing with toys? If so, what kind?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 04:03 AM

8,189 posts, read 30,051,593 times
The laser is the favorite toy at my house. My cats are 17, 12, and almost a year. They all play with the laser. Even the dog loves it.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:30 AM

2,806 posts, read 7,169,674 times
My 14 yr. old female STILL loves toys...catnip mice are her favorite, but I still bust a wand out every day...doesn't matter what's at the other end of it, be it a feather, crinkly thing, or just those fuzzy, long strings, she'll play with it. And she LOOOOOVES brown paper grocery bags, she has a party in those any chance she gets .

Her lifelong feline companion Humphrey I. (who passed in 2008 ) was the complete opposite...he had virtually no interest in playing after the age of about 5. He preferred snuggling .

My boy cats, both under the age of 3, enjoy playing with each other and the dogs much more than toys...they like to jump, chase, pounce...but they've had little to no interest in actual toys.

Now, catnip is another story...if they're nipped-out, they'll play with anything, even a crumpled-up paper bag .

Old 04-11-2011, 04:49 AM

36,502 posts, read 50,324,075 times
I've also found adult cats don't play with toys as long as they have a buddy to play with. Oscar and Langley romp and "fight" and chase each other all the time. Lucy the dog joins in sometimes too but toys just aren't interesting after a certain age. I wish they would play with toys as it is very entertaining to watch. Both our boys are 8 and are very big into napping and snuggling. I can't keep Oscar off me. He is obnoxiously affectionate.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:10 AM

8,926 posts, read 16,492,642 times
I rotate most toys but some are left out all the time.

The 12 year old's fur mice for example. He likes to play with them in the middle of the night. He throws them down the stairs, chases them down, brings them back up and throws them down again, singing all the while. Sometimes I find them on the stairs when I come home from work so I know he plays with them during the day too. They are kept in a pile right in front of a certain box.

The 7 year old plays with her tennis ball (as long as I am careful to NEVER touch it, lol) plastic straws and cat nip pillows. She also relocates objects daily from around the house to under my desk.

The kitten..heeheehee she has several favorites that she hides and finds again, I never know what of her favorite toys I will find in my bed in the morning, or scattered around the floor when I come home.

They love their Box Forts and Paper Bag Forts, also rotated.

All three enjoy the interactive toys too, I rotate them, also.

My other kitty doesn't play with toys very often, even interactive.

And of course they all play with one another.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:18 AM

7,023 posts, read 10,438,112 times
Some cats just aren't interested in toys. Mine never really were. They don't care for them at all.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:43 AM

18,845 posts, read 35,330,074 times
Jasper likes straws. He has some balls and catnip toys, but he pretty much ignores them. My last cat, Mickey, was a toy fanatic, he carried them around, put them in his food and water dish, constantly threw them on me to get me to play fetch with him, a game he NEVER got tired of. I would wake up in the morning in a bed full of toys he put on me at night to get me to play with him. He was also a "spider hunter", and would go to the basement hunting each day. But he did not hunt mice, he would watch them, but not ever catch them.

Recently, Monkey, Daddy's cat, caught a mouse, and put it delibrately in Daddy's hunting boots. Then, just watched the boot intently. Daddy has no idea why Monkey put a live mouse in his work boots.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:56 AM

8,926 posts, read 16,492,642 times
I find fur mice (12 yo's toys) and fur balls (kitten's toys) in my shoes fairly often. And in my purse and gym bag, too. I love finding these gifts.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:03 AM

7,329 posts, read 15,412,692 times
My 6 year old still chases a small furry toy occasionally, but not often. When she lies on her side sometimes I softly lob one at her tummy and she "kills" it with her back feet. I think she's getting out her annoyance at her bratty brother that way.
When she was a kitten we used to play a game I called Psycho where she sat in the empty tub and I poked the shower curtain with my finger and she grabbed it. I was really sad when she outgrew it- I still liked it!
My 2 year old still likes to chase a crumpled paper ball. He's starting to lose interest in his other games.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:15 AM

38,788 posts, read 68,878,772 times
Our cats are 5 and they play with their toys every day. Our dining room looks like a cat-toy minefield; they like to take the toys in the dining room and bat them around there, because the toys scoot farther on the bare floor.

Every once in awhile I'll gather up a bunch of mice and place one between each baluster on the staircase. They have great fun batting them onto the stairs, and then chasing them down the stairs, or onto the floor below, and then batting them all over the dining room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Jasper likes straws.
Our cats like pens and crumpled up foil. Toss a crumpled tea bag envelope in their direction, and they go wild! They also play hockey with the caps from juice jugs; it's great when they play together! Cookie is a natural defenseman (defensewoman? defensecat?). Someday I'll have to capture that on video.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats