U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-29-2011, 07:49 PM
 
8,231 posts, read 13,034,527 times
Reputation: 11194

Advertisements

The cats have fleas so I got some Advantage but I think I got most of it on their fur. They are not cooperative at all and I didn't have anyone to help me.

Has anyone else had this happen and what were the results? If they still have fleas in a week what do I do? Assume they didn't get any in their system and try again?

So far 2 fleas on me and one on a towel
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-29-2011, 09:12 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
4,033 posts, read 9,513,229 times
Reputation: 4968
Oh dear.

Fleas are a bi-ch and a half, and much more difficult to get rid of than simply using Advantage.

First thing, don't put it on them again in a couple of weeks; wait the full four weeks until they are due again. Even on their fur, it will deter fleas.

Second, if they have fleas, the cats will get tapeworms, which are produced from the ingestion of fleas. So, I would go ahead and treat them for tape worms as well. The over-the-counter tablets work well but you may have an issue getting it down their throats. My suggestion is to grab/pinch by the scruff of the neck *firmly* (yeah, they'll squeel, but you're not hurting them as much as they would lead you to believe, and this HAS to be done). Sit down with your legs crossed with the cat on its back, spread eagle, on top of your legs and administer the pill. The cats mouth should be open already from the holding of the scruff; use tweezers to put the pill in his/her mouth if the cat will bite or refuses to open his/her mouth.

Try a similar procedure the next time that you administer the flea med. Open the flea medicine and place upright within grabbing distance. Grab the cat by the scruff of the neck and peal back a nice layer of fur right above the shoulderblades; it usually stays pealed back for a good 30 seconds, exposing the skin. Still holding the cat, grab the flea med and pour in a line across the exposed area. Release.

In the meantime, I suggest either calling an exterminator (expensive but easy) or bombing your home, especially if you have carpets, although fleas will still thrive even on wood floors and tiles, to get rid of the fleas that are now living in the home. Get a flea powder to dust over carpet, vaccuum and throw out the vaccuum bag immediately. In fact, throw it out every time you vaccuum. You will probably have to repeat the carpet dusting a few times to get rid of the fleas. If you have wood floors, bombing the house should be sufficient; not sure if I would bomb and dust carpets, as that stuff is really toxic. I would do one or the other.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2011, 10:07 PM
 
Location: Near Nashville TN
7,201 posts, read 13,502,833 times
Reputation: 5423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
The cats have fleas so I got some Advantage but I think I got most of it on their fur. They are not cooperative at all and I didn't have anyone to help me.

Has anyone else had this happen and what were the results? If they still have fleas in a week what do I do? Assume they didn't get any in their system and try again?

So far 2 fleas on me and one on a towel
We got rid of a horrible flea infestation when we had the three dogs using GHR (growth hormone regulator). It stops the grubs all over your home from developing into fleas. They die in an immature state long before they can bite and breed. And I vacuumed every day, washed their bedding and dried it on the high setting every few days. My husband sprayed the yard and dog houses. These were inside-outside dogs with a large fenced area. A serious flea infestation isn't too easy to get rid of. My new vet recommends Revolution every month as this would get any heart worm also. But this is a systemic and I hesitate to use it monthly on my cats. The dogs are at the Rainbow Bridge. Using a GHR is harmless to you and your cats.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2011, 09:17 AM
 
Location: In a house
13,251 posts, read 40,370,207 times
Reputation: 20198
You don't need to go through all that trauma to get a pill down a cat's throat. I mean, that'll work, but it will likely make both you and the cat miserable.

What my vet does (and it seems to work with even the most ornery of cats, I've seen her do it):

Place the cat on a table or chair, where it's at chest height to you for an easier reach. Or get down on the floor where the cat is. You need to be able to hover over it.

Put yourself behind the cat (or the cat facing away from you).

Reach over cat's head, thumb to the side of one ear, fingers to the side of the other ear, but in FRONT of the ears, not behind them. Your palm would be on the crown of his head. GENTLY give the corners of cat's jaw a squeeze with this hand. You don't have to apply much pressure at all, he -will- open his mouth. It's an automatic reflex.

While his mouth is open, pop the pill in, then - because your fingers are ALREADY right near where they need to be..slide your hand forward more and hold kitty's chin shut against the top jaw. Make your hand like a muzzle around the front of his face. And gently blow an exhaled breath near his nose. He will automatically swallow. It's another reflex.

That's it. Cover, press, pop, blow, release.

Works almost every time, and takes less than 10 seconds.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2011, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
4,033 posts, read 9,513,229 times
Reputation: 4968
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You don't need to go through all that trauma to get a pill down a cat's throat. I mean, that'll work, but it will likely make both you and the cat miserable.

What my vet does (and it seems to work with even the most ornery of cats, I've seen her do it):

Place the cat on a table or chair, where it's at chest height to you for an easier reach. Or get down on the floor where the cat is. You need to be able to hover over it.

Put yourself behind the cat (or the cat facing away from you).

Reach over cat's head, thumb to the side of one ear, fingers to the side of the other ear, but in FRONT of the ears, not behind them. Your palm would be on the crown of his head. GENTLY give the corners of cat's jaw a squeeze with this hand. You don't have to apply much pressure at all, he -will- open his mouth. It's an automatic reflex.

While his mouth is open, pop the pill in, then - because your fingers are ALREADY right near where they need to be..slide your hand forward more and hold kitty's chin shut against the top jaw. Make your hand like a muzzle around the front of his face. And gently blow an exhaled breath near his nose. He will automatically swallow. It's another reflex.

That's it. Cover, press, pop, blow, release.

Works almost every time, and takes less than 10 seconds.
LOL, yes that's much better than my method

To the OP: how is the flea situation?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2011, 02:56 PM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
2,806 posts, read 7,091,201 times
Reputation: 3290
Another pill-giving technique...

(and this is assuming the pill pockets don't work...my cats love the "Greenies" brand pill pockets, especially the duck and green pea flavor!)

Put a small amount of water into a syringe (you can buy syringes at petsmart), and cut the pill up so it's small enough to fit into the hole...then just squirt it into your cat's mouth. Voila! The water helps to make sure the pill actually goes down...cats can be super tricky and "pretend" the pill has been swallowed, but then spit it out later. What I usually do is kneel on the floor behind the cat, then maneuver so I'm kind of "straddling", then gently lift the head with my left hand, and gently nudge the side of the mouth with the tip of the syringe in my other hand...reflexively, the cat's mouth opens and then *squirt*...done.

Flea infestations are a major pain in the butt...sorry you're dealing with that.
The main thing is to make sure all fabric, bedding and surfaces are washed and wiped daily, and daily mopping (or vacuuming if you have carpet). If you leave a bowl with soapy water on a white cloth or towel under a light at night, many fleas will jump in there to their death. A little bit of apple cider vinegar (in a ratio of 3 parts water to one part vinegar) mixed into their food makes their scent undesirable to insects and deters them from jumping on them/biting them, (it also helps regulate ph levels).

Good luck, I hope you conquer those little nuisances quickly!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2011, 05:23 PM
 
8,231 posts, read 13,034,527 times
Reputation: 11194
As far as the house goes I haven't seen anymore....but I've got a semi feral that runs in and out of the house and I haven't even dosed him yet (yeah, that'll be different) so I don't know how lucky I'll really get.

Hard to tell with the cats, I've never had black cats before but its impossible to see anything.

And their fur pops right back which is why it didn't apply. I even tried a small velcro roller to try to hold the hair to one side.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2011, 08:56 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
4,033 posts, read 9,513,229 times
Reputation: 4968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
As far as the house goes I haven't seen anymore....but I've got a semi feral that runs in and out of the house and I haven't even dosed him yet (yeah, that'll be different) so I don't know how lucky I'll really get.

Hard to tell with the cats, I've never had black cats before but its impossible to see anything.

And their fur pops right back which is why it didn't apply. I even tried a small velcro roller to try to hold the hair to one side.
Clearly, your cats are cleaner than mine My cat's fur sticks straight up

Okay, here come the crazy suggestions: how about a [baby] barrette? Or just a small-toothed comb that you can hold with one hand while pulling back the fur (and holding the cat, with the same hand) while you apply? Gosh, that is so much easier to suggest than it probably is to achieve

Well, at least the flea pandemic was a false alarm.

Oh, and LMAO about the feral: yeah, that WILL be different, LOL!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2011, 10:20 PM
 
Location: Talmadge, San Diego, CA
14,714 posts, read 29,369,720 times
Reputation: 9148
I buy Advantage from eBay, and it comes in a kit. The kit consists of a tiny glass vial, a tube of Advantage, and a little syringe (needless). With the syringe, you can just squirt the Advantage in the fur at the name of your cat's neck, and it's much easier.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top