Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 10:22 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,283,470 times

Advertisements

If thiamine deficiency doesn't mean anything to you, don't feel bad. I asked 3 of my sisters' friends who have had cats all their lives (they are in their 50s') and they hadn't heard of it or its' fatal consequences. If you think I'm sounding a bit dramatic please read my first post (ever, anywhere) under -elderly cat can't stop eating- (not my thread) page 3, most all of page 3. I'll wait... Wellness cat food was/is deficient in thiamine RE: THEIR companies recall letter. Unfortunately I didn't get the memo, my boy died a prolonged, debilitating death. Raw fish contains an enzyme, thiaminase, that depletes B-1 or thiamine. google thiamine deficiencies in cats. Once you see the neurological symptoms it seems to me it might be too late but try anyway. If you have been feeding your cat ANY fish cat food, even some that say chicken ,beef whatever, in the flavor, they often have fish by-products as the main ingredients. GET him to a vet and get a B-1 shot, it's water soluble, so no o.d. B-1 is essential to cats. Don't wait for test results. All of my cats' blood work was fine, so I don't think they test for vitamin deficiencies routinely. Wellness was tested independently by some consumers with sick cats and found to be high in zinc' ,later confirmed in their cats. I'm starting a Wellness thread later tonight, you really need to know this too. The web site Truth About Pet Food should be required reading for pet people. Educate yourself on veterinary medical websites IVIS is a start (figure out the registration for yourself, you're smart!) Even if some of it seems over your head for now, that's how you learn. I'll tell you what search tips I've learned and maybe you can give me some tips too. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 06:05 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
BTW, the other thing you want when you're trying a bunch of cans and/or mixing and have leftovers for the next feeding is Kitty Kap lids. These lids have a cat face on top and ears that stick out. It should say "Kitty Kap Patented" on the inside. (I ran across a knockoff of similar design when I just did an online search.) These are the ONLY lids that fit every freakin different size of can. I've gotten some others, and there's always one size of can they don't fit, and I always seem to have food in that size can. Not sure whose cans are what sizes, just know that there's at least 4 sizes and I haven't found one this cover won't cover. (Just thinking about it as I fed Amber a portion of mainly the Soulistic chicken/tilapia/tuna with some Tiki sardines mixed in, and used the lids to cover the remainders.)

I've kept on buying food in 3oz cans because it's been easier to judge portions at about 2 cans per day. But these lids fit 5.5oz cans as well. They even fit the oddball Addiction cans which is an unusual diameter as I recall. Having a few of these around makes life easier for sure. I got them at Petsmart, but they're probably sold a lot of places.
They don't fit the Merrick Before Grain cans. I do have a lid that fits them, it came with a sample pack of prescription c/d. Don't know what I will do when it splits!

I don't feed my cats any fish foods, haven't in years.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:37 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,648,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
Raw fish contains an enzyme, thiaminase, that depletes B-1 or thiamine. google thiamine deficiencies in cats.
I am sorry for your loss. The Wellness recall is very troubling indeed, and there is of course a chance that it could happen to other foods we tend to consider high quality.

As far as the fish goes, I haven't done extensive reading yet, but the obvious first links are about a diet high in RAW fish. Since the fish in canned cat food is not raw, it should not contain thiaminase. They have to make sure it's not heated too high, though, apparently, which I suppose could have been the issue with Wellness.

It is something I will continue to study and thanks for bringing it up. It leaves me with more of a question than ever. I mean, as of right now I have a cat that will eat chicken dry food or wet food that has some fish in it. The sources say avoid all dry food. They say avoid fish. Being stuck in the middle of those two is killing me and hopefully not killing my cat....

Old 06-04-2011, 02:31 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,602,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
It is something I will continue to study and thanks for bringing it up. It leaves me with more of a question than ever. I mean, as of right now I have a cat that will eat chicken dry food or wet food that has some fish in it. The sources say avoid all dry food. They say avoid fish. Being stuck in the middle of those two is killing me and hopefully not killing my cat....
I think you're doing the best you can for your cat and definitely NOT killing her. I think all you can do is try to feed your cat the best food you know of. My cat Cooper had been eating a mostly dry food diet until I learned here that wet is better. I'd say fish wet food is better than chicken dry. On catinfo.org she says that even the worst quality wet food is better than high quality dry.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:30 AM

Feeding Fish to Dogs or Cats is NOT Advisable

Old 01-04-2012, 09:41 AM

As if we didn't already know it was not advisable.

But yeah, a reminder of that preservative especially is helpful. Fish meal, look out for that mainly in dry foods.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:46 AM

And yet there is a new PO today whose cat is vomiting and she's feeding a Salmon cat food.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:03 AM

New people are going to come on who haven't learned some things yet. And some will still disagree anyway. And some won't bother to search or to read other threads even if they're at the top. That's just the way it is.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:40 AM

157 posts, read 587,141 times
just a note on refrigerating leftovers in the cans...since many cans are lined with this BHP, I've read NOT to store leftovers after the can has been opened, that apparently when this chemical becomes potent...so since reading this I've been taking any leftovers out of the can and storing in a glass jar.
has anyone else read this somewhere????

Old 01-05-2012, 08:47 AM

I hadn't heard it, but it should be relatively easy to Google/research.

When you can provide a link, you should start a new thread.

That info shouldn't get buried. Thanks for letting us know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats