Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 05:58 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,154,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
vomiting and kidney problems are one of the side effects to using flea and tick repellants...frontline, advantage, etc....especially harmfull to older cats.
Perhaps a side effect, but not an overwhelmingly common one. Most animals tolerate species-specific rx (or the generic equivalent) flea and tick meds just fine.

Plus the OP didn't even mention the use of flea and tick repellent....and if money is an issue it's unlikely the cat was being dosed with Frontline or Advantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 10:17 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,272,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Perhaps a side effect, but not an overwhelmingly common one. Most animals tolerate species-specific rx (or the generic equivalent) flea and tick meds just fine.

Plus the OP didn't even mention the use of flea and tick repellent....and if money is an issue it's unlikely the cat was being dosed with Frontline or Advantage.
Actually it is fairly common...........The OP mentioned the vet has concerns for his elderly cats kidneys....I'm just stating a possible cause.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:06 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,850,269 times
here is the rub... The blood tests will confirm any possible illness but are you ready to deal with those results. If it is nothing and blood work is ok... no problem. If the blood work shows problems are you able to accept that you may not be able to afford the treatments needed and that your parents may not be willing to put forth more money to deal with them either.
In my youth I had simular situations with my pets, I had to deal with the fact my parents didn't want to put more money into a pets illness, it is after all THEIR money. I had extremely hard choices to make that went against what I really wanted to do.
My current cat is living with renal failure. I live very near a poverty level income. Still I do without alot of things others take for granted so I can treat my cat with my own money. I don't have a cell phone, I don't have cable TV and I don't have a home phone (land line). I also don't eat out. I haven't bought a par of jeans in over a year. I don't do trips (I use to travel to visit friends) and I don't drive any further then I really need.
This might just be a time when you might need to look at your personal expenses (esp the ones you parents pay for) and ask yourself how can I cut costs so I can do without something so I can treat my cat to medical expenses.
I hope your cat is fine. Make sure she has plenty of can food, less dry and lots of water about. Also make sure you feed her a diet low in Phosphorus just in case it is her kidneys. Stay away from any kitty litter that creates dust which while urinating could cause irritation leading into kidney/bladder infections.
There is no magical pill, no cheap way of treating illnesses in pets. You can become economically savvy with treatment but you will have to do your own research. Lots of information on line can be extremely old outdated news. Pay attention to websites dates/updates etc. I learned so much with my kitty in RF. Most of what I learn was websites that say they are current really are not.
Good luck with your kitty. I know you love your pet very well. You want what is best for your beloved fur ball.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:04 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,756,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerowyn View Post
here is the rub... The blood tests will confirm any possible illness but are you ready to deal with those results. If it is nothing and blood work is ok... no problem. If the blood work shows problems are you able to accept that you may not be able to afford the treatments needed and that your parents may not be willing to put forth more money to deal with them either.
In my youth I had simular situations with my pets, I had to deal with the fact my parents didn't want to put more money into a pets illness, it is after all THEIR money. I had extremely hard choices to make that went against what I really wanted to do.
My current cat is living with renal failure. I live very near a poverty level income. Still I do without alot of things others take for granted so I can treat my cat with my own money. I don't have a cell phone, I don't have cable TV and I don't have a home phone (land line). I also don't eat out. I haven't bought a par of jeans in over a year. I don't do trips (I use to travel to visit friends) and I don't drive any further then I really need.
This might just be a time when you might need to look at your personal expenses (esp the ones you parents pay for) and ask yourself how can I cut costs so I can do without something so I can treat my cat to medical expenses.
I hope your cat is fine. Make sure she has plenty of can food, less dry and lots of water about. Also make sure you feed her a diet low in Phosphorus just in case it is her kidneys. Stay away from any kitty litter that creates dust which while urinating could cause irritation leading into kidney/bladder infections.
There is no magical pill, no cheap way of treating illnesses in pets. You can become economically savvy with treatment but you will have to do your own research. Lots of information on line can be extremely old outdated news. Pay attention to websites dates/updates etc. I learned so much with my kitty in RF. Most of what I learn was websites that say they are current really are not.
Good luck with your kitty. I know you love your pet very well. You want what is best for your beloved fur ball.
I'm sorry to hear about your lifestyle. I have had troubles growing up, but none were related to poverty issues. I grew up in a middle class family in a small community near a college town, so I had a pretty normal life.

My plan is to get the blood work and then give my cat vitamins she needs or change her diet to what the vet says.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:31 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,284,294 times
Default blood tests for vitamins need to become a routine 1st step in initial consult

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your lifestyle. I have had troubles growing up, but none were related to poverty issues. I grew up in a middle class family in a small community near a college town, so I had a pretty normal life.

My plan is to get the blood work and then give my cat vitamins she needs or change her diet to what the vet says.

Just to be sure that you realize how important what you wrote is.. Vitamin blood work is NOT routinely done But I really think it is becoming key with the types of food issues that are being routinely reported now. Re; Iams recall and Wellness recall.
There have also been excess amounts of Vitamin D found recently in other pet foods recalled. I am extremely concerned with heavy metals contamination. I'm following up on some info (leads). And Ethoxyquin keeps coming up.

Some information I have not been able to bring myself to read yet. I still get blind sided some times even when I'm being careful.

Veterinarians are not trained (I've been reading text books and course outlines for last 10 years) to suspect thiamine deficiency or vitamin imbalances because they are supposed to be rare. I would insist on a B-1 (thiamine) shot every time I had to take him to the vet and vitamin blood work.

The other would have to do with Salmonella and other bacterial infections in pet foods. HUS an anemic illness is the outcome but not immediately considered in humans so probably not in cats either.

Let us know how you and your kitty are if you want to.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:57 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,161,250 times
So many speculations but in the end none can be substantiated without the Bloodwork.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:47 PM

Im taking my cat into the vet today. Please pray it goes well. Were getting blood work done.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:10 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,536,306 times
Keep us posted. If it is kidney problems, let us know, as we can provide some affordable solutions to keep it in check.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:29 PM

The doctor does think it's kidney stuff, but well find out. My cat lost weight and thats not good.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:08 PM

Thyroid level is at 2.6 (grey zone)

Kidneys weren't that great.

He wanted me to get a B-12 test and it would cost $140 which I don't have the money for.

Her blood work already cost $140 and they already overcharged me on my check-up, so they gave me a balance instead of money back.

The other option was an ultrasound.

What should I do?

And he checked for symptoms of B-12 and she shows no signs of bladder problems or vommiting.

My cat weighed 8 lbs several years ago, and now weights 6 lbs 8 oz. She is 12 years old.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats