Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 11:47 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,610,249 times

Advertisements

But they DO get their Rabbit (says their cust. serv.) from China. Again, anyone have pros/cons or not trust them or Chinese Rabbit, period (it is same Chinese Rabbit both in Nature's cans & their Raw Rabbit frozen paks )?

Any safer place to get Raw frozen Rabbit other than Nature's Variety?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 11:48 AM

5,331 posts, read 8,540,802 times
what is the reason you don't want the rabbit to be from China?

Old 11-07-2011, 01:15 PM

135 posts, read 566,512 times
I've had some reservations about this as well. But my older cat (19) has IBS and seems to do very well on it as this is the only thing she eats (frozen nuggets).

Old 11-07-2011, 03:29 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,676,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
But they DO get their Rabbit (says their cust. serv.) from China. Again, anyone have pros/cons or not trust them or Chinese Rabbit, period (it is same Chinese Rabbit both in Nature's cans & their Raw Rabbit frozen paks )?

Any safer place to get Raw frozen Rabbit other than Nature's Variety?
Yes, all their rabbit is sourced from China.

You can obtain frozen rabbit from any reputable local butcher. Almost all rabbit meal is from china and one in Italy. However, you can ask around to see if you can get "food grade" rabbit meal. Food grade is tested within the USA for human consumption, even if sourced from China.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Yes, all their rabbit is sourced from China.

You can obtain frozen rabbit from any reputable local butcher. Almost all rabbit meal is from china and one in Italy. However, you can ask around to see if you can get "food grade" rabbit meal. Food grade is tested within the USA for human consumption, even if sourced from China.

I again will try their Raw Frozen Rabbit, then. Many here use it & it sells well, thus it must be ok (I guess). But if anyone thinks it is not a good idea to use Nature's Variety Rabbit, period, please let us know. I still am a bit unsure though many have claimed it is fine overall.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:18 AM

On 2nd thought I've found a thread from early this yr on here that is about NV Raw Rabbit.

It is BEST to drop the idea of their Rabbit, I now firmly think. I was so wanting to use it but no way am I sure/safe enough, thus it isn't going to be used - period. Just quick update for those thinking like me.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:01 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,650,216 times
I don't know what kind of budget you have but my cat's new favorite treat is Wysong Dream Treats which are made of freeze-dried raw pheasant. Not quite the same as something like the Nature's Variety frozen, but if you're looking for something raw to give as a treat that could be an option. You'll probably have to order direct; they're not found in many stores. I was intrigued by the unusual meat source which to me seems like an appropriate prey. Pheasant would be something a cat would catch, don't you think? And it turned out she loves it.

There's at least one other commercial source of rabbit off the top of my head, but it's not raw. Addiction, a pet food company from New Zealand (maybe Australia, but the plant is definitely in New Zealand), makes a canned rabbit. Again it's hard to find and expensive. They also make food from a marsupial called brushtail. It's an invasive species in New Zealand, but cats supposedly love this so rounding them up to make cat food is a win-win. (I had a can; my cat won't eat anything with that ground up texture! Argh!) I can't say for certain that the rabbit is also sourced locally to them, but it says Black Forest Rabbit on the can, and the Black Forest is an area in New Zealand. There are some veggies in these cans. They also have a new to me product, raw dehydrated brushtail. Interesting, I may have to try that if I can find a source. Looks a little veggie-heavy though.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:56 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,676,227 times
Addiction's main plant is in NZ. They do source some of their meats from Asia-Pacific countries, but the bulk of the product is local game and food grade game meal. They do have a their USA distribution out of Washington and there are a bunch of stores in the USA that are now carryng it although not all varieties. Addiction is what many call the manufactured packaged version of wild game raw food. High up the scale but prices are also on the higher end.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I don't know what kind of budget you have but my cat's new favorite treat is Wysong Dream Treats which are made of freeze-dried raw pheasant. Not quite the same as something like the Nature's Variety frozen, but if you're looking for something raw to give as a treat that could be an option. You'll probably have to order direct; they're not found in many stores. I was intrigued by the unusual meat source which to me seems like an appropriate prey. Pheasant would be something a cat would catch, don't you think? And it turned out she loves it.

There's at least one other commercial source of rabbit off the top of my head, but it's not raw. Addiction, a pet food company from New Zealand (maybe Australia, but the plant is definitely in New Zealand), makes a canned rabbit. Again it's hard to find and expensive. They also make food from a marsupial called brushtail. It's an invasive species in New Zealand, but cats supposedly love this so rounding them up to make cat food is a win-win. (I had a can; my cat won't eat anything with that ground up texture! Argh!) I can't say for certain that the rabbit is also sourced locally to them, but it says Black Forest Rabbit on the can, and the Black Forest is an area in New Zealand. There are some veggies in these cans. They also have a new to me product, raw dehydrated brushtail. Interesting, I may have to try that if I can find a source. Looks a little veggie-heavy though.

Greg, do you use any other Wysong foods? It seems they're all tailored for cats AND dogs, thus is this ok to feed a cat due to different needs for nutrition for a cat vs a dog? I'm lost as to how they combine these products to make them uni-species? I've never seen a company do that or did I miss something? Thanks.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:46 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,540,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric99gt View Post
I've had some reservations about this as well. But my older cat (19) has IBS and seems to do very well on it as this is the only thing she eats (frozen nuggets).
My older cat may have IBS (not sure) - I've gotten so tired of cleaning up the puke that I'm sticking with the frozen rabbit for now - its the only thing he doesn't vomit up and actually really likes to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats