U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 01:38 PM

4,914 posts, read 12,056,713 times

Advertisements

My cat is now 12 years old and the vet suggested she get a blood test to check for kidney problems. My parents are cheap and it's sad since they have enough money for the not so much blood test.

Our last cat they got a blood check, but they are being mean to me. I am wondering if I should just go in and use my credit card.

Also, was the vet trying to just get money off me? He was kind of back and 4th about her kidneys. And my has like a hairball once a day or vommiting. I can't tell the difference. No excess peeing or drinking.

Anyways, should I wait for my parents to change their mind? If it was their pet I think they would not hesistate in spending the money.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 02:44 PM

6,191 posts, read 17,304,246 times
If this is your cat as you state, pay for the blood test already! If you have a credit card and are able to, why are you waiting for your parents to pay for it? I'm confused.

Kidney problems are common in older cats, especially if they eat nothing but dry pellets (kibble.) Daily vomiting is not good. If it's hairballs, that's an easy fix. If this were my cat, I'd get the bloodwork done, like yesterday.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:52 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,174,804 times
Cats should get bloodwork regularly, at least yearly. By watching changes over time, they can identify and treat problems wile they are still treatable.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:23 PM

1,559 posts, read 3,628,093 times
See if your vet will work out a payment plan for you or maybe work out a discount. How old are you? Can you bring the cat to the vet yourself? Hang in there and give lots of love to your kitty in the meantime.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:43 PM

I have no money and my parents pay for the credit card anyways. And now I been giving my cat dry food and wet food.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:50 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,598,533 times
First of all, cats don't need blood work yearly, so ignore anyone that says that. They need it before surgery and if there is any indication of something wrong. If money is the issue you need to figure out where you priorities are...because what if your cat does end up needing medication or further medical care if they are diagnosed with kidney disease or something else serious? If you are truly concerned about your cat, get the blood test. Not sure how old you are, but if it is your cat, it is your responsibility to pay for the test. But just realize that the test could be the cheapest cost in this journey if your cat has something else more serious. So, it may be time for you to get a job so that your parents don't have to pay for your credit card too. Good Luck.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:54 PM

7,201 posts, read 13,869,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I have no money and my parents pay for the credit card anyways. And now I been giving my cat dry food and wet food.
At 20 years old, even in this poor economy, there are always jobs for people your age at places like Wal*Mart or Joe's Diner or a store at a Mall. I got my first job at 15 years old with working papers. This way you can take care of your own cat and your own expenses.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:01 PM

6,191 posts, read 17,304,246 times
I would stress to your parents that daily or frequent vomiting may be nothing but hairballs or food intolerance - but may also be a sign of something serious or potentially lethal. Your vet is probably trying to rule out "something serious" and this is a wise move, especially for a senior cat.

Cats are very good at hiding illness or pain, that's why diagnostic tests are so important. A basic CBC (complete blood count) shouldn't cost too much.... between $35-40 where I live, maybe a bit more where you are. If finances are a concern, call your local humane society and ask about lower cost vets.

Any other symptoms besides the vomiting...lethargy, not eating or eating less, not using the litter box normally, looking a bit ratty (not grooming), whites of the eyes showing, anything different? Do you know how to test if a cat is dehydrated or not? Basic test is pinch up the skin along the cat's back or shoulders, when you release it the skin should snap back into place right away. Gums should be pink and moist, not pale and sticky-feeling.

It is great you're giving her wet food along with the dry, good for you.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:17 PM

My mom thinks she will give the cat a blood test. And I got the cat when I was 10. And I go to school full time and I have worked a little. But all my cash goes to bills.

I am hoping with a blood test we can tell if my cat needs certain vitamins. I heard there are cheap ways to help cats with kidney problems.

The vet said when he checked her that her skin is snapping back. She looks a little ratty. She is playful still. Gums are fine. She still drinks, pees, and eats normally I think.

Vomitting might be food intolerance and some are hairballs.

The vet said her kidneys might be a lil inflamed. And also my grandma had my cat while I wasnt living at home and so my grandma forgot to feed her. So I cant tell if she is skinny because of that or something else.

And the economy is not so great here and were in an underpopulated area. Its a half hour away to more jobs and over a hill that costs gas.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:50 PM

1,559 posts, read 3,628,093 times
Sounds like a tough situation. I guess first of all you need to figure out if there is actually anything wrong with the cat before you start looking into how to help her.

How long have you had her back from your grandma's? She could have been stressed and if your grandma wasn't feeding her that could be why she is skinny.

It seems that you are doing the best you can. It's hard when you live in a rural area and there are no jobs around. I completely understand this. It is extremely hard to get work. Don't worry about comments like 'go get a job'. If folks haven't lived in extremely rural areas than they can't understand so let that just roll of your back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats