Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 08:49 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,061,719 times

Advertisements

I suspect that it's territorial, too. Our two cats lived with my sister-in-law for about a year-and-a-half and we brought them back into a new apartment six months ago, and it's been like this the whole time. We do have a 2nd, younger female cat here, too, and they get into spats sometimes. I don't think they've ever really liked one another. The computer room seems to be the older (female) cat's territory and the recliner chairs in the living room (and to some extent the bed) are the younger (female) cat's domain.

My wife and I think the primary reason the older cat spends so much time on the computer desk is because she's infatuated with me. She seems very happy up here 98% of the time. I think she likes the petting and attention, and she seems to make a point of getting in way of the mouse/keyboard/monitor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 09:06 AM

5,009 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I don't think it's obvious that it's the sound at all. Sounds to me like a territorial/attention thing.

For example, my cat might get up on the table where we are doing some writing of various stuff. She might lie somewhat near something we need to reach for in a little while. Then, when we go to reach for it, she'll swat, kinda like "Hey that's mine!" LOL Or perhaps related to the fact that there she is somewhat actively seeking out attention, but attention is not given in that case. Never been a hiss that I can remember, but sometimes she'll give like a whine or other vocalization. Now I can't say for sure this is the same attitude your cat is having, but I never made a big deal of this behavior. It has happened occasionally for several years.

Now, if this is a recent development with the older cat, there may be more cause for concern. Did you change anything about the setup recently? Any other changes with the cat recently? I mean, if this is a new issue, and you haven't changed anything about the computer setup, then I'd take her to the vet to be sure there's not something wrong. Sometimes a change in behavior can be a signal to other problems. If you've been seeing this for a couple years, and she's been to the vet in the last few months and checked out okay, then it's probably fine. Any doubt and you're concerned, call the vet. It can't hurt.

And no it is highly unlikely it has anything to do with any shot. Not sure where that comes from. Assuming she was vaccinated in the past she should still be protected from those things.
My cat does this too but to me it's simply "friskiness," (I wouldn't even call it territorial, more of 'pay attention to me, I'm feeling playful,' so no biggie) not what the OP is describing. The sudden, aggressive nature of the OP's cat's behavior--especially the hissing--is concerning. My cat only hisses and growls when she's really angry or afraid, never when she's playing.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:16 PM

4 posts, read 5,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
I have a 13 or 14 year old female torby cat (tortoise shell patch tabby) who is very affectionate and follows me around everywhere, but sometimes she gets psycho!

It happens when we're at the computer. She likes to lay on my large desk between the keyboard and the monitor. Sometimes she'll start hissing, whining (squealing/meowing), and swatting at me for no apparent reason. (She's fully clawed.) It almost seems like I'm torturing her in some sort of a way but it happens when I'm not touching her at all.

Could this be some sort of a territorial thing? Is it possible that she needs a distemper shot?

(It's happening right now as I type this. I just got hissed at and swatted.)
It coul be S SIMPLE THAT THE COMPUTER IS AFFECTING HER. IS SHE LIKE THIS WHEN SHE NEAR A TV OR MICROWAVE THAT'S ON?

Old 04-28-2012, 05:53 PM

35 posts, read 68,756 times
One of my cats was a kitty i found in a parking lot. Grew into a16lb tom cat- looked with a grey bengal with all the rosetts (not fat, just huge!).

He would sleep on the sub, like a little perch. Everytime we left the subwoofer on and the tv was on but the volume was low- he would go crazy. Hissing, swatting and acting insane. Took us awhile to realize it was some sort of noise or sound from the subwoofer that he often slept on.

He diagnosed himself- we left the tv on one day and we came home to the speaker ripped to shreds.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:26 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
What is funny is my little Bunny cat loves on the computer. Like loves it to death. It has to sleep on the lap tops, if you are typing he wants to sleep on the keyboard. He is very insistent but in a loving rubbing way. When ever I leave the room he goes on top of the lap top and sleeps and hugs on it. I call my laptop his gf Karen. lol Anyone know why?

He also does this with the tv controller. He hugs it until he falls asleep if he can't get to Karen first. The tv controller is his second choice.
Attached Thumbnails
Affectionate Cat Goes Psycho Nuts for No Apparent Reason, Hissing and Swatting at Me-0-3.jpeg  

Old 04-28-2012, 07:01 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times
^^^Awwww... that pic is so cute!!!

When I am in my computer room...
My cat will come to "pester" me every time, never fails... seriously it is "pester"... she will rub herself against me circling around multiple times, nibble at me to give her attention, just driving me nuts... not because she is hungry or anything but because she wants attention.
I locked her out a few times and my DD said (and I heard) a couple of time she will be pawing the door or even throwing herself (like on 2 legs) on the door to get in.

No hissing though...

She does love me I have to say.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:34 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,848,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post

Could this be some sort of a territorial thing? Is it possible that she needs a distemper shot?

(It's happening right now as I type this. I just got hissed at and swatted.)

I don't think anyone has addressed this. You might have been kidding, but an oddly large amount of people seem to have this misconception. I used to gets calls all the time that a dog or cat bit or scratched someone and needed his 'distemper shot'

Distemper is a very dangerous disease in cats, also know as Panleukopenia. It is highly contagious. Young kittens should be vaccinated and any cat allowed outside should be vaccinated regularly. It has nothing to do with temperament or aggressive behavior.

Okay, sorry, I feel better now.

You've had some good theories, but one other thought...is your cat resting against the computer's vent? JJ does this, and it causes the computer to overheat. It quickly gets very hot, and there's a metal piece in that area that can heat to the point it could cause a mild burn. If she's resting against it and it slowly starts to heat up, the heat itself may be waking her and causing her to act aggressively because she doesn't know what hurt her. JJ actually did this to me once (and then went into a grooming frenzy in the area where his hip was touching the metal).

Now, he also does this stuff ALL THE TIME because mommy isn't allowed to have any other interests. We've mostly solved this by coming to a compromise. He has his own bed on my desk (which is where he is right now), and it's positioned close enough so I can pet and fawn over him at intervals. Perhaps try something like that? It might solve the problem if it's caused by the computer OR territorial aggression.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:35 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Whenever she finds me sitting at the computer, my kitty comes over and rubs my ankles which is something she normally does not do. My computer cart also serves as my desk so when I am using it to pay bills or write and the computer is off, she also does this.

I think maybe it's just when I am on the computer it's for a long time and I am not paying attention to her. So just sitting at it without it even being on, she is going to demand her attention.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:38 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I don't think anyone has addressed this. You might have been kidding, but an oddly large amount of people seem to have this misconception. I used to gets calls all the time that a dog or cat bit or scratched someone and needed his 'distemper shot'

Distemper is a very dangerous disease in cats, also know as Panleukopenia. It is highly contagious. Young kittens should be vaccinated and any cat allowed outside should be vaccinated regularly. It has nothing to do with temperament or aggressive behavior.

Okay, sorry, I feel better now.
Thank you! I was going to give you a rep but it wouldn't let me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats