U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 01:35 AM

3,119 posts, read 7,583,312 times

Advertisements

I have a 13 or 14 year old female torby cat (tortoise shell patch tabby) who is very affectionate and follows me around everywhere, but sometimes she gets psycho!

It happens when we're at the computer. She likes to lay on my large desk between the keyboard and the monitor. Sometimes she'll start hissing, whining (squealing/meowing), and swatting at me for no apparent reason. (She's fully clawed.) It almost seems like I'm torturing her in some sort of a way but it happens when I'm not touching her at all.

Could this be some sort of a territorial thing? Is it possible that she needs a distemper shot?

(It's happening right now as I type this. I just got hissed at and swatted.)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 01:49 AM

11,798 posts, read 23,449,239 times
I'd say a visit to the veterinarian is in order. Something isn't right.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:35 AM

2,806 posts, read 7,062,536 times
Has this behavior always been the case, or is this a recent development? If it's a recent thing, I agree with catman that a trip to the vet is a good idea. If she's always had this tendency, it's probably a territorial thing, as you suggested.

My BF's cat gets territorial about certain areas in the house and gets upset if anyone "invades" her space while she's there...the computer in the kitchen is one of these places, ironically...if she decides she wants to be on the table where the computer is, she will yell and swipe at whoever sits in the chair and reaches for the mouse. She's also like that about his bed during the day...no one is "allowed" to sit on the bed if she's resting there. If we're in any of "her" places first, she'll tolerate our presence there, but if she's there first she'll get mad, LOL! She's quite the little Queen...she doesn't like it if humans laugh too hysterically either, that REALLY ****** her off...she'll get right in the offending person's face and yell at them. She's very healthy, all blood & chemistry perfectly normal, in fact she hasn't been sick in the 6 years I've known her...some kitties are just very serious about being in charge, and she's one of them.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:02 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,328,898 times
My 7yr. old Tom is psycho. I can love him and pet him for a good amount of time and then all of a sudden in a split second he's hissing, clawing and biting. He's always been like that. I just usually run the other way.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:10 AM

7,329 posts, read 15,057,622 times
If this is new behavior, I'd take her to the vet too. It's possible, though, that she just resents all the attention you're paying to that stupid computer. Animals, like kids, sometimes go the "bad attention is better than no attention" route.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:03 AM

10,135 posts, read 25,293,650 times
I would check the computer sounds with a meter. Cats have different hearing than humans and can hear some sounds that are not audible to us.

Or, see if she will do it when the computer is turned off in the exact same situation.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:24 AM

3,119 posts, read 7,583,312 times
She only seems to do it at the computer. Elsewhere she's fine.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:55 AM

10,135 posts, read 25,293,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
She only seems to do it at the computer. Elsewhere she's fine.

And, only when the computer is on?

Old 06-14-2011, 02:19 PM

18,845 posts, read 34,667,546 times
Beau will bite when someone is petting him, he just gets over stimulated. Just by watching him, you know when the "bite" is coming...pet, pet, BITE...

Old 06-14-2011, 02:25 PM

556 posts, read 1,480,235 times
Anna does that whenever someone grabs her out of the window. She will hiss at us. But then you put her down and put your hand out, she will lick you lol.

She's an oddball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats