Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 02:23 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,616,013 times

Advertisements

I'm dropping Wellness cans. (I told Petco this today re: my worry & the possible Wellness & zinc or copper toxicity -- in ALL Wellness canned cat food -- & Petco never heard of this. I called Wellness last wk & they didn't either of this, yet online there's info re: "independent tests @ UC Davis indicating high zinc & copper in Wellness cans").

I'm ONLY currently using Weruva (Paw Lickin' Chicken) as my main canned food. But I want a 2nd backup canned food (in case Weruva turns up recalled, etc.). I have Weruva which then IS grain-free, & for sure, has BPA-free cans. I still use a bit of Wellness Core Fish & Fowl dry food, to add to her diet as treats, but am unsure to leave ANY dry food (even Wellness grain-free dry) in her diet, period?

I want ONLY grain-free & BPA-free cans too, so this makes it harder. Natural Balance has only potatoes in their cans but some call this starch & thus grain-free?) & others say no it is a grain? Blue Buffalo has grain-free cans, I think. Newman's is not w/ out grain but is Organic. Orijen is unsure to me but I may have seen issues a few yrs ago w/ it, not sure.

I think it best to have 2 canned foods (grain-free, if possible & different brands in case one gets recalled) & a dry food grain-free, to add as needed, to give more nutrition -- but not dehydrate a cat solely feeding dry.

If anyone can sum this up, so I can use ONLY 2 GOOD canned brands alternately (& maybe a GOOD dry food to use as treats), then I'd be grateful.

Thanks again all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 03:50 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times
I'm not up-to-date on which foods use BPA in their cans...I definitely need to do some research on that, but as far as foods that have worked for my most finicky kitty, (Harley), I can say that Blue Buffalo was a HUGE hit .
Blue Wilderness is the grain-free variety, and it comes in chicken, turkey, duck, & salmon flavors for sure (not sure about beef...haven't seen it at Petsmart and don't feed any beef to my cats so haven't actually looked).
She recently decided to love Soulistic chicken cat food in gravy, and she also likes the Soulistic chicken in pumpkin soup pouches.
Before Grain was also a hit with her, she likes the chicken and quail flavor as well as the turkey.
She looooved evo and innova for about a month, then decided she hated it, LOL ! Luckily, my boys will eat anything and everything I put before them, so none of this expensive food goes to waste if my Queen turns her nose up at it .

Old 06-14-2011, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
I'm not up-to-date on which foods use BPA in their cans...I definitely need to do some research on that, but as far as foods that have worked for my most finicky kitty, (Harley), I can say that Blue Buffalo was a HUGE hit .
Blue Wilderness is the grain-free variety, and it comes in chicken, turkey, duck, & salmon flavors for sure (not sure about beef...haven't seen it at Petsmart and don't feed any beef to my cats so haven't actually looked).
She recently decided to love Soulistic chicken cat food in gravy, and she also likes the Soulistic chicken in pumpkin soup pouches.
Before Grain was also a hit with her, she likes the chicken and quail flavor as well as the turkey.
She looooved evo and innova for about a month, then decided she hated it, LOL ! Luckily, my boys will eat anything and everything I put before them, so none of this expensive food goes to waste if my Queen turns her nose up at it .

Thanks.

So for grain-free dry I'm still using leftover bag of Wellness Core. I then may switch to Blue Buff grain-free dry or another dry...if I keep ANY dry on hand, I don't know re: dry issue -- anyone know if I should drop dry ALTOGETHER?

Also, I'm looking @ Soulistic but need to know re: BPA cans? Also, Trader Joe's here in AZ (believe this or not as I asked them) has very good cat food (it is not grain-free but @ .59/5.5 oz can is very good $) & has very good ingredients listed in order.

But...I have no idea what it is like for cats & asking if anyone uses it? I won't use it as primary but may as 2ndary cans.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:59 AM

Oops I forgot to add "Taste of The Wild", dry or canned, to my list of maybe? It is rated well but again, recalls do worry me.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:37 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
after Oscar's 3rd UTI and hundreds of dollars in vet bills I returned 3 cases of Wellness and now we have about 6 different kinds to try. Some they let sit out till it is dry and yucky....I can take a hint, but I hate dumping expensive cat food. They do not like Innova, do like Fancy Feast and Blue Buffalo.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:20 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
I dropped EVO after they were bought out by Proctor & Gamble a year ago, and switched my finicky feline to Nature's Variety Instinct grain-free canned. He likes it a lot, and has had no health problems since the change. I do use the Orijen grain-free dry as a bedtime snack/treat (no more than a couple of tablespoons full) and he REALLY likes that.

I was also just recently at my local petfood store (I prefer to shop at the local places rather than the national chains) and they were offering samples of a new variety that I hadn't heard of before. It's a freeze-dried raw offering, which they recommend reconstituting with water to boost fluid intake, and at least based on Finn's initial reaction, it must be pretty tasty. It's called Stella and Chewy's, and I am considering getting some to use as an alternative to the Orijen for a bedtime snack. I hadn't considered using a raw diet for him before now, mainly due to storage/preparation concerns, but having a freeze-dried option that can be reconstituted seems like a good compromise.

Good luck, and I hope you find an option that both you and your cat like.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:41 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
I'm not up on BPA-free cans. Weruva is good stuff. Soulistic is made in the same place. I also use sometimes Tiki Cat (although most of their varieties have fish, if you are avoiding that) and Fussie Cat (most has tuna). At this stage with them all marked Product of Thailand and judging by the consistency of the food inside I believe they're all made in the same plant.

So if you really want some kind of recall protection you may want to look outside those as any recall from that plant would likely affect them all (and some others, like Solid Gold tuna, etc. I can't say for certain that they're all made in the same plant in Thailand, but it seems likely. It also seems likely that there won't be a recall from there, but you never know.) Merrick Before Grain is a possible option, although Merrick has had recalls. Blue Buffalo perhaps. (Mine doesn't like either of these anyway.) If you want to go really crazy and you can find it, try Addiction. Mine won't eat this, but it's great stuff from Australia. The Nature's Variety Instinct is a possibility as well.

Potato is not a grain but is a starch. It turns up in some cans but not all. It's almost a given in grain-free dry.

There's also an Instinct dry, but my cat liked Orijen much better, and it's a very good quality food made in Canada. I'm currently playing with some Epigen dry from Wysong; this is a "starch-free" formula. The ingredients list things like "potato protein", heh, so they still don't have the potato totally out. The cat actually likes this one too, in the original chicken variety. Wysong has a large number of other products as well all over the map; I've never figured out if the cans or other products meant to be served wet would really be something my cat would eat or not. Very hard to find in most stores so generally necessitates online ordering. I'm surprised the Wysong stuff doesn't get more play on here with so many interested in holistic approaches, but I guess it's because it's rather hard to find.

And yeah, since it was mentioned above, my cat was eating EVO dry (and before that just Innova dry) when the P&G buyout of Natura was announced. That's when we switched over to mainly Orijen at the time, then more canned food over time as well.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:47 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,721 times
If you're looking at Soulistic, it actually comes in a pouch so you don't have to worry about BPA. My cats LOVE Soulistic. They also liked Natural Balance for a while, now we're at 50% likibility. The Natural Balance LID foods are grain-free. Yes, they have potatoes, but potatoes don't seem to affect my grain-allergic cat so there is a difference. I keep dry food out even though my cats mostly eat the wet food. Occasionally they'll munch on the dry. I know this is frowned upon here, but I don't want to completely take it away from them. Try Solid Gold, my cats LOVE it. They were on Nature's Variety and liked it for a while and then for no apparent reason stopped eating it...

Old 06-14-2011, 04:25 PM

Thank you again for replies. I'm totally confused. lol

Soulistic is possible too, & still wondering if simply Trader Joe's el cheapo brand is ok? TJ's is only .59/can & this helps me alot w/ vet bills & teeth cleanings, etc.

I wouldn't go this way if it isn't ok, but if ok, I'd save a ton.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:33 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
If you're looking at Soulistic, it actually comes in a pouch so you don't have to worry about BPA.
I forgot about the pouches. The one I'm getting is in a can, and track record with pouches has been cat doesn't eat.

But here's the thing: unless you know for 100% certain, I wouldn't just assume that the pouch doesn't have BPA. BPA is in all kinds of weird things. You know the thermal paper receipts you get at stores? About half of that has BPA in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats