U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 10:49 AM

35,316 posts, read 47,568,522 times

Advertisements

I've had 3 well behaved cats for the last 12 years so i'm not anti cat,however to me they are just cats and will be disposed of if they start becoming vicious.
The analogy with the children doesnt work for me as Human children are on a higher standard,i dont look at cats and children as equals,
if kids get out of control then we explore ways to fix the problem, luckily all my kids are well behaved successes in life.

PS I did say i'd give the cat a chance that neutering might correct the problem
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 11:17 AM

8,307 posts, read 37,145,727 times
I try to resist personifying cats. They are incredible little creatures with many admirable qualities, but I am quite certain that no cat on earth has ever felt remorse for any condition caused by or arising from its own actions, including without limitation its own gross negligence or willful misconduct (which is perhaps one of those admirable qualities).

It seems to me that an intact tom confined to a house or an apartment is at high risk of developing some less desirable behavioral idiosyncracies. He'll probably be a much better citizen sans androgens, although neutering isn't guaranteed to do much of anything. His brain and body have developed under the influences of a normal male hormone cocktail so things like spraying, yodeling and "fight lust" may be hardwired. The lack of androgens means that he may not be willing to fight to the death with a rival tom, but the will to fight may persist. Neutering after maturity makes a "dude without balls" rather than a eunuch.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:23 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,145,514 times
He will be about 2/3 we are not sure. THE GOOD NEWS He has a appointment to get this issue taken care of. I want to thank all of you to make me realize he MUST be neutered. I was always afraid for him to go through pain. The ASPCA in Reno said it will be fast and he will be fine and live a more calmer life.

Again thank you all and I am feeling less upset about his HISSY FITS and the battle wounds I gained from all this.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:31 PM

7,329 posts, read 15,276,822 times
Thanks for giving this guy a chance! Let us know how it goes.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:04 PM

7,201 posts, read 13,608,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30STM View Post
He will be about 2/3 we are not sure. THE GOOD NEWS He has a appointment to get this issue taken care of. I want to thank all of you to make me realize he MUST be neutered. I was always afraid for him to go through pain. The ASPCA in Reno said it will be fast and he will be fine and live a more calmer life.

Again thank you all and I am feeling less upset about his HISSY FITS and the battle wounds I gained from all this.
It's a fast easy surgery and most of them don't seem to realize anything happened when they come out of the anesthesia. They can also give him a shot of painkiller to make sure he has no discomfort afterward. I would not own an intact Tom unless I was a breeder.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:43 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,145,514 times
I called around most vets want to charge about 200 in NV but the aspca in Reno will do it for $25 and that includes meds. So He is going sometime July wen I can take some time off. He has been okay but very loud no more hissing thank god

Old 06-27-2011, 08:14 AM

8,506 posts, read 16,147,091 times
Thanks for the update! Let us know how he does after his neuter. You'll be glad to have it over with, and he will be a happier cat!

Old 06-28-2011, 06:44 AM

73,185 posts, read 69,025,065 times
Quote:

It is not bad, and they recover quickly. You are doing the right thing.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:42 PM

8,954 posts, read 19,384,769 times
Quote:
I came home tonight and when i opened the door he hissed at me 2x and when I went to pick him up and pet him he clawed my arm real bad.

I rescued him in Sept of 2010 he was put out by the owner who moved and I took him in . He is VERY spoiled very loved and normally the SWEETEST cat you can ever have. Everyone loves him. He is a Siamese boy not fixed since he is a house cat my arm and hand are still bleeding I am shaken. now he ran in to the bathroom and did number 2 in my bathtub. THis is all is so out of character almost like this is not my cat. i never hit him even when he is a lil bad. Fact he seldom is bad I raise my voice to him a bit when he is but never hit him. He has a better life then most humans and I am always buying him toys, treats you name it. No one is here to hurt him. PS I never owned a cat before and was wondering could it be because he wants to be with a female cat an he is mad at me? I don't know any help is much appreciated.

If anything I am not mad I am hurt and afraid to pick him up or go near him since i am afraid he may attack me again.
The problem is he needs "fixed" to calm him down then he needs to accept you as his master.

Siamese cats are VERY close to their original owner and you smell different to him. If the cat won't accept you and bond with you you'll need to take him back the shelter.

This bred has a legend history of being guards for the King of Siam centuries so IF this cat accepts you you will have a good pet for his lifetime.

"The Siamese cat is the most popular shorthaired, purebred cat in the world. According
to legend, these cats were first seen in the temples of Siam. The first Siames cats in
literature occur in a five-hundred year old manuscript in the National Library at
Bangkok. They are pictured in drawings of cats in "The Cat book Poems" of ancient
Thailand. These cats served as pets and "temple guards." Kings and priests of Siam
revered their Siamese cats, and only royalty or wealthy persons were allowed to own
them. For this reason, the Siamese is known as the Royal Cat of Siam. In 1884, King
Chulalongkorn (son of Monkut, whose story is told in The King and I) presented a pair of
sealpoint Siamese, Pho and Mia, as a farewell gift to Owen Gould, the British Consul
General in Bangkok. These were the first cats taken from Siam to England, and the gift
was a great honor, since the royal family had bred them in the palace."

History of the Traditional Siamese

Old 06-29-2011, 09:28 PM

8,506 posts, read 16,147,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
The problem is he needs "fixed" to calm him down then he needs to accept you as his master.

Siamese cats are VERY close to their original owner and you smell different to him. If the cat won't accept you and bond with you you'll need to take him back the shelter.
The poster has already stated they are going to get him neutered as advised by many of us.

The cat was abandoned by the neighbor and rescued by the poster, not adopted from a shelter.

However even if the cat was adopted from a shelter, I disagree with your advice. Pets are for life, not until they become inconvenient or difficult. You don't rescue a cat, keep him for almost a year, then dump him "back at the shelter" because of a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats