Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 11:43 AM

333 posts, read 1,063,741 times

Advertisements

So...I have a kitty that found me. As most of you know...I have three girls that I adopted last May. I was sitting on my chair one day - and I looked and my girls were all by the front door. I nearly had a heart attack when I saw a kitty head on the other side of the glass! I thought..."How on EARTH did Betty get out there?!!?" Then I counted heads....FOUR heads.

June Bug (as we have named her) has taken up residence around my house. She's been hanging around for about a month now. I started feeding her in hopes that the shelter where I got my girls would take her in. They were leading me to believe that if I "cared for her" for some time, she wouldn't be considered a stray - and they'd be able to help. Here we are a month later - and they still have no room for her. I contacted two other humane societies today to see what I can do.

June Bug is a beautiful, loving and talkative kitty who really wants a home. I'm so sad for her. I'm even more sad as it appears that she has either been dumped or abandoned...because she's been declawed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 11:57 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
Can you try bringing her in with your cats, at least for now? A declawed cat is much too defenseless to be outside. I don't usually recommend Craigslist because shady people sometimes respond to those ads but if you really check them out, and homecheck them (I'd look for someone who already has a cat, or cat supplies from a recently passed kitty, to be more sure they're really looking for a pet) it could be a good solution. The fact she's already declawed might be a plus for some people. Just be sure you explain a declawed cat needs to be 100% indoors, and they agree.

P.S. She's beautiful!

Old 06-21-2011, 12:02 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Yeah she's very pretty, I hope she gets a new home!

Cats seem to fall out of the sky around this house. We always have one or two hanging around.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:28 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Ugh. Someone dumped/abandoned a cat or she ran away/got lost.

It's possible that it's the latter, even though it's been a month. Have you had anyone check for a microchip? And reported that you found a cat? Clearly she was once a pet so it's possible she has a chip. That doesn't mean anyone wants her back, but there are always weird stories out there about cats somehow getting far away and she could be missing from someone far away enough that they wouldn't be looking in your neighborhood.

Outside is a tough environment for declawed kitty so it would be better to bring in somehow, but obviously you wouldn't want to have her mix with your own cats. This would be a problem even if you wanted to keep her, I suspect, assuming your own cats still have their claws.

Seems like she would do well if she could be in a position to be adopted by someone. Hope you can figure that out.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:28 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,140 times
What a precious little girl June Bug is. I sure hope one of the other shelters will take her. She looks very adoptable to me. Thanks for caring for her!!

Old 06-21-2011, 12:33 PM

Unfortunately for me...taking her in to my own house isn't an option. Obviously I don't know her health issues - and yes, my girls do have all of their claws so I would never subject her to that. I'm working on some family members...that may be able to foster, but they're not easily budging.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:34 PM

And yes...she is absolutely beautiful. Her pics don't do her justice! And she's SUPER soft.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:11 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
I used to have 12 cats, all strays, and one of them arrived declawed. He was a Sealpoint Siamese, and was left behind when someone moved out. The other 11 cats all had their claws, and there were no problems with fighting or the other cats using their claws on him. I wouldn't worry about that.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:42 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,874 times
id bring her in. if shes declawed shes totally helpless out there.

even though i have a no vacancy sign up, id bring in a declawed one and find a home for it. it would just have to live in a private room till then LOL

Old 06-21-2011, 01:55 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Please try and bring this cat in. Without her claws she's helpless outside. Your cats having claws shouldn't matter. Also, the huge pictures you added are a real problem for those of us that can't get cable PC. Reducing them to to 500Pixels across allows us to see them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats