U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 01:36 AM

7,201 posts, read 13,614,815 times

Advertisements

Having worked in an Animal Hospital, I want to remind all of you about the July 4th holiday holiday coming up. For some reason the sociopaths out there love to use firecrackers and cherry bombs to kill and maim any cats or dogs they can get their hands on. Even farm animals have not been spared.

WARNING: To get my point across I'll be graphic. Cats and dogs get their ears and parts of their skull and faces blown off. Dogs get their noses blown off and are blinded. Both get their rectums blown out. They get strings of firecrackers tied to them and die in extreme agony from the burns.... most of these animals do die. They can't be saved. The damage is too severe and they're almost all in extreme pain.

How anyone can let their cats roam freely in this day and age is beyond me. Don't be misled. Rural areas are not safe either. Outside Murfreesboro TN, in the country, farmland, some sociopath/s poured lighter fluid on a cat and burned it to death. The cat ran screaming along a fence and a driver passerby saw it and stopped. But it died before they could get help for it. Yes, this was out in the country. That nice farm boy down the road from your house, the one you see in church every Sunday, the one with that big smile can be a sadistic psychopath. There is no way to tell by looking at them. You cannot see a warped and twisted mind. They look like everyone else.

KEEP YOUR CATS INSIDE, at least until the 4th is over.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 06:39 AM

73,328 posts, read 69,100,868 times
It hurts so much to read about this kind of thing, but if you made one person think and decide to keep their cat in this weekend, you've done a great service.

Even on regular days, outdoor cats in the country aren't always safe. My sister's cat was killed by two Germans shepherds that belonged to a neighbor. She keeps her new kitty inside.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:39 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,433,372 times
It's heartbreaking, but true. I live in the country but I always bring my friends in on the 4th. Not only are there fireworks out here, but shotguns going off also. A good reminder, thank you.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It hurts so much to read about this kind of thing, but if you made one person think and decide to keep their cat in this weekend, you've done a great service.
Thank you. Sadly, there are those who wont believe it can happen to their cats or dogs. Even in the best of neighborhoods there lurk sadistic sociopaths and those who simply hate cats. These people usually resort to shooting and poisoning their neighbor's pets. At one time we didn't have to worry about our children playing outside and our pets taking a stroll around the neighborhood. Those days are long gone.

Quote:
Even on regular days, outdoor cats in the country aren't always safe. My sister's cat was killed by two Germans shepherds that belonged to a neighbor. She keeps her new kitty inside.
There are as many dangers out in the country as there are in the cities. Here we have several predators that kill cats allowed to roam. Not just the neighbor's dogs kill them but coyotes, fox, raccoons and large owls and hawks make meals of cats and small dogs. In some parts of FL the allagatrors eat them. As for sociopaths, they're everywhere; from the inner city ghettos to the pristine farmlands to the high priced guarded gated communities of all countries.

And of course we see not only dead wildlife out here on these country roads, but dead cats and dogs all the time. Mostly cats. A neighbor here once watched a car veer to the side to run over another neighbor's dog. This happened almost in front of our property.

All kitties need to be kept inside just as all children need to be constantly watched these days due to all the warped pedophiles out there. There's cat proof fencing for those with back yards.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdurncat13 View Post
It's heartbreaking, but true. I live in the country but I always bring my friends in on the 4th. Not only are there fireworks out here, but shotguns going off also. A good reminder, thank you.
Even though I live in a rural area, we have the same problems with sociopaths. When we had the three dogs they had a fenced in area of 1/4 acre. We would not let them out alone on July 4th and Halloween since two were black. The depraved look for black cats and dogs, mainly cats to torture and sacrifice on Halloween. That's another holiday to keep pets inside even if you have a fence.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:06 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,433,372 times
I've always been careful on Halloween also. I seem to end up with black cats. Right now I have six out of 14 that are black.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdurncat13 View Post
I've always been careful on Halloween also. I seem to end up with black cats. Right now I have six out of 14 that are black.
Here most of the shelters and Rescues will not adopt out black cats for a few weeks before the Halloween holiday. There was another dead cat on the road to town yesterday. Someone's cat didn't make it home last night.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:00 PM

9,353 posts, read 18,798,340 times
ALSO.... many pets (my dogs in particular) are frightened by the fireworks .... and some will run off to hide.... never to be seen again..... the only way i can get bailey to go out in the yard to do her business in these 3 weeks surrounding july 4 is to throw diced chicken gizzards out there for her to chase..... the week or so surrounding new years is very nearly as bad.....

Old 06-29-2011, 02:16 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,993,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Having worked in an Animal Hospital, I want to remind all of you about the July 4th holiday holiday coming up. For some reason the sociopaths out there love to use firecrackers and cherry bombs to kill and maim any cats or dogs they can get their hands on. Even farm animals have not been spared.

WARNING: To get my point across I'll be graphic. Cats and dogs get their ears and parts of their skull and faces blown off. Dogs get their noses blown off and are blinded. Both get their rectums blown out. They get strings of firecrackers tied to them and die in extreme agony from the burns.... most of these animals do die. They can't be saved. The damage is too severe and they're almost all in extreme pain.

How anyone can let their cats roam freely in this day and age is beyond me. Don't be misled. Rural areas are not safe either. Outside Murfreesboro TN, in the country, farmland, some sociopath/s poured lighter fluid on a cat and burned it to death. The cat ran screaming along a fence and a driver passerby saw it and stopped. But it died before they could get help for it. Yes, this was out in the country. That nice farm boy down the road from your house, the one you see in church every Sunday, the one with that big smile can be a sadistic psychopath. There is no way to tell by looking at them. You cannot see a warped and twisted mind. They look like everyone else.

KEEP YOUR CATS INSIDE, at least until the 4th is over.
Thank you for this thread. I live very close to Murfreesboro and what you wrote makes me sick to my stomach. It is a nice town, but like you said, there is no way to tell by looking at people.

I completely agree with you about not letting cats roam free. I had an outdoor cat when I was growing up and it died because a dog, on a leash being walked by his owner, saw my cat and ran after it. The owner was a teen and wasn't strong enough to hold the dog back and he slipped through the leash. It was a chow-chow. My cat had to be put to sleep because he was bitten so many times, there was no way to save him. This happened less than a week before my wedding. I vowed that day I would NEVER let my cats outside and my husband and I have two cats who are strictly indoor cats. When I lived in L.A. a few of our neighbors cats were eaten by coyotes.

We live in a sick world. I don't know how you could ever hurt an animal. Even if you aren't an animal person, who could harm one?!?! They are so innocent. It breaks my heart. God bless you.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:03 PM

11,798 posts, read 23,685,310 times
That lighter-fluid story made me sick. Some people aren't worth the ammunition it would take to kill them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats