U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2011, 01:25 AM

29,853 posts, read 49,497,594 times

Advertisements

I was at a baby shower today, and my friend's brother & sister-in-law (who were hosting the party) have a new boy/girl pair of Savannah kittens... they are SO cool looking, and I totally fell in love. Any idea how big they'll get, and are they really a hybrid cross with Servil? Or are these fully domesticated?

Meet Luke (Skywalker) and Ellie... and sorry for the lousy photos, but I only had my cell phone.

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-01-2011 at 01:36 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 08:15 AM

6,591 posts, read 23,979,685 times
the origional savannah as a cross between the serval cat and various breeds of domestic cat...
now however most are multi generational meaning savannah to savannah or savannah to *insert domestic breed here*

so to ME the level of how "domestic" a savannah realy is is very dependant on what generation it is, anything over 50% serval id say not something id considered "domesticated" though in the right homes that can take an active high drive cat thats large and often a little more "trouble" (they are mischevious) they make wonderfull companons...
but i certainly wouldnt call a high content savannah "domestic"

looking at those pics id say they are lower content (they dont have the distinc ocelli or the "tear stain" markings of the high content savannahs) so id say they are probbaly going to be a little more "domesticated" overall than a high content but there still not like "normal" cats lol.

beautiful kittens though

Old 08-01-2011, 08:25 AM

9,918 posts, read 23,355,292 times
Apparently they really are a cross between a serval, at least at first generation. Not sure, I only read just a little. Very cool looking. It sounds on the surface anyway like an iffy and perhaps not at all ideal way to breed cats though. Savannah appears to be a very new breed. I only know what I can search online, though, so you can do that too and find the same stuff. Oh, and I see foxywench knows a bit too.

I do know there are some wild-looking breeds that are entirely domesticated lines, such as ocicat. Despite that name (sounding like ocelot) and their appearance (often wild cat-looking spots) there is no wild blood in an ocicat. If I were looking to get an exotic-looking purebred cat like this, I'd look more to ocicat or similar than anything that's a true domestic-wild hybrid. It doesn't, from the initial info I looked at, sound like savannahs have significant behavior problems, but I've been too caught up recently with animal rescues, hearing what happens with people who breed either wild animals or wild-domestic hybrids (I met a wolf-dog a few weeks ago), etc. There's a lot of nasty stuff going on out there....

Old 08-01-2011, 10:28 AM

575 posts, read 1,875,980 times
Savannah's are very active and require a lot of outdoor running space. People that properly care for them usually have nice outdoor enclosures for them that are secure.

I love the Savanna's! I thought about getting one but realized very quickly that I do not have the proper house for one! The are very active and agile cats!

You need to secure one from a VERY VERY good breeder. Lots of fly by night breeders are popping up as they are getting more popular. There are lots in Florida in California. Expect to pay big money for one from a good breeder with good lines (like a few thousand).

Savannahs are rated F1-F5 and it will depend on how far from "serval" cross you get. We were thinking about an F3 - they keep a lot of the Serval look, are a bit smaller in size and have a bit more stable temperament.

As to Greg42's comment - as a whole they do NOT have significant behavior problem's as a whole. That's bad breeding and people not understanding what they are getting when they get a Serval. Saying Savannah's have bad temperaments is like saying Pit Bulls are rotten dogs. Depends on the owner.

Research your breed and be educated. Exactly why I decided not to get one myself. I love them, but knew my house is too small for one You need to be dedicated to providing a proper home for that kind of cat.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:49 AM

9,918 posts, read 23,355,292 times
Actually, that wasn't my point. It doesn't sound like savannahs typically have behavioral problems at all, and I'm acutely aware of painting breeds with a broad brush such as what happens with pit bulls. I just have a general aversion to scenarios where there are people breeding wild animals in captivity, other than something like a zoo for preservation purposes.

But, to be fair, I'm probably reading a lot into it to equate anything happening with savannahs to some of the other things I've seen. I really don't know that to be true. I'm sure like anytime you are looking for a certain breed animal you have be sure to work with reputable breeders.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:55 PM

Point taken Greg42. I think there is a bit too much going on with the "let's make a hybrid" in animals these days. At what point are you just designing fancy mutt dogs and cats and getting put put a huge price tag on them? Like the Toyger cats for instance? I just don't get it. And a Labradoodle a Puggle? Lets get real - if you saw one of those in a pound you'd laugh, but slap a high price tag from a "breeder" and all the sudden people wait for a year to get one!

At what point do we stop messing with genetics just to make "designer dogs" and "designer cats".

Old 08-01-2011, 10:38 PM

29,853 posts, read 49,497,594 times
Thanks for the info everyone, and it's interesting to hear their history... I'm not planning to get one (I have MORE than enough pets already & prefer rescues), was just curious as to their level of "wildness." I don't know exactly where these kittens came from, or what level/generation they are, but I'm sure they came from somebody legitimate. This family also has two young children, so I imagine they did plenty of research before deciding on this breed. Regardless, they are VERY cute!!

Old 08-02-2011, 10:36 AM

They are beautiful cats. You can look up some breeders and lots of them have nice pictures. Some will even have video. To watch these cats move is just fascinating! They have so much of the serval in them and it's like watching a bobcat move around your house.

What I found so cool was they have what's called a "snake hiss" they don't hiss like a regular cat. They hiss like a big wild jungle cat - like panther - that mimics a snake sound and it's to ward off predators! It's sooo neat to hear! Makes you take a step back LOL

We have a "wild life store" - I hate the store actually, but that's not the point and they actually have a full fledged Serval in the store. He's on "display" in the store. Someone I think takes him home at night but it's still no place for that cat to be But I've been up there a few times just to look at him. He's absolutely beautiful! I wish I could break the glass and run away with him!

Old 08-04-2011, 07:34 PM

18,842 posts, read 35,651,604 times
I have seen these cats on "Animal Planet". I know from cats I have had, that I prefer very domesticated cats. Jasper is a Bengal, and his meow is very loud, he is louder than a Siamese, and often makes sort of "wild cat" sounds. And if these cats are anything like Jasper, they have very definite personalities, not inclined to be cuddle bugs, like Ragdolls. These cats are active. If you want a cuddle cat, a Ragdoll would be a better choice.

Jasper purrs, and likes to be with me, but he is not a "velcro cat". I don't know if this is a breed issue or his own quirk. But I think it is a breed issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats