Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 07:04 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,942,608 times

Advertisements

I am doing a ton of research tonight so sorry about all the posts! There are some recommendations by international vets to try tagamet for a cat suffering with Feline Stomatitis. I picked some up tonight but just wondered if any of you have administered it to your cat and noticed any difference? I have the dosage amount and really wish I could have found it in liquid form but the pill will have to do and will have to divided a lot!

But, if it helps, it will be worth it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 07:42 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,664,771 times
Alley, I have no experience with Tagament for cats. Sorry.

But, I just wanted to say I am floored by your show of absolute dedication to your cat. The way you keep digging, the way you just won't stop.......nothing deters you in your "mission" to bring semblance of healing to your baby.

My heart is moved. (((HUGS))) I know what it is like, friend, to love so deeply and so completely, that nothing prevents you in the search for wellness. I, for who I am, have tears in my eyes right now.......May Blessings come pouring your way, so that you experience the complete JOY of witnessing the healing of your baby.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:43 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,854,114 times
never herd of it...but i agree with GoE

Old 03-20-2011, 08:09 PM

Thank you both! You have no idea how much your encouragement means to me.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:56 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times
Certainly worth trying. I know it has been used in CRF kitties. Your kitty isn't on any other medicines is he? Tagamet does have some interactions with things like HBP medicine.

What is the safe feline dosage? How long before you might see results? What does your vet think?

You might find this link interesting. It is a CRF website, but discusses mouth ulcers and offers more links on other mouth disorders and treatments:

Tanya's Feline CRF Website - Treatments

Do you want tips on administering pills. (link to my own thread in this forum)

//www.city-data.com/forum/cats/...l-any-cat.html

Old 03-20-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Certainly worth trying. I know it has been used in CRF kitties. Your kitty isn't on any other medicines is he? Tagamet does have some interactions with things like HBP medicine.

What is the safe feline dosage? How long before you might see results? What does your vet think?

You might find this link interesting. It is a CRF website, but discusses mouth ulcers and offers more links on other mouth disorders and treatments:

Tanya's Feline CRF Website - Treatments

Do you want tips on administering pills. (link to my own thread in this forum)

//www.city-data.com/forum/cats/...l-any-cat.html
Thank you for the links and tips! The dosage is 1/4 tablet and it is not guaranteed to provide positive results and has no set timeline as it hasn't been used in enough cases to provide a baseline. I have had to administer it to both foster cats and dogs in the past and do not feel that it is best to involve any of the vets I have worked with through my newest findings. For one thing, she is not on any prescriptions - just Biotene rinse and gels which interact with nothing, and secondly because the only accepted protocol with all the vets is the removal of all teeth - any other therapy, findings, etc. are not ones that they are interested in. Removal of the teeth is easiest and most effective (granted if you look at actual trial data they don't seem to ever tell you that over 50% of the cats who had removal of all the teeth ended up with losing one or both eyes, or at least vision and that they also recommended Metacam which most of the cat lovers on this board realize is more of death sentence than miracle drug for any cat).

The next time I will collaborate with a vet on this journey is when I am able to start the FDA Exemption Process for the treatment that is not accepted for animals in this country however has proven effective in Europe for many cases. I have a vet that is interested but may be deterred when he realizes the amount of paperwork this will take! But, I hope not! Heck, if I have to move back to England for the short time to get the treatment started, I would just so that we could avoid the paperwork mess. So, with that in mind, I had her blood drawn on Friday and sent off to start the PETS Travel Scheme just in case. Hopefully her Rabies titer comes back within the next couple weeks so that we can start the clock for waiting six months.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:39 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
My vet told me to give my CRF cat 1/2 of a Pepcid AC daily, to help with her tummy. It seemed to help as she did not vomit after that.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Thank you both! You have no idea how much your encouragement means to me.
(((HUGS))) Oh, yes I do, Alley! I walk in your shoes many times!! (((HUGS)))

Old 03-22-2011, 02:05 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,491,908 times
How did you know your cat had Feline Stomatitis? What signs were there?

Old 03-23-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
How did you know your cat had Feline Stomatitis? What signs were there?
Lola, I believe in one of Alley's posts, she told us the vet diagnosed her baby with a rare form of Stomatitis.

Alley, just my thoughts. IF you can get your cat's Ph levels normal in her stomach and GI tract, and get her peristalsis improved, AND feed her top quality food, you might see the symptoms she has improved.

Tagament, I do know, will upset the stomach Ph and can in the long run cause more problems. You are NOT in an easy situation, for one solution you will find, will create more problems, and another solution seems like a good one, but with little results.

Best of luck. Keep on searching. You will find a solution, for I hear the distinct sound of determination in your "voice". (((HUGS)))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats