Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2011, 11:17 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times

Advertisements

My 18 yr old cat has arthritis in her back legs....I have given her vet-provided Cosequin in the past and it does help, but wondering if any of you have ever tried an OTC product for your cat.....? With good results?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 11:24 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,552,682 times
What kind of OTC are you talking about? There are no human pain meds that are safe for cats.

Why did you stop the cosequin? It is very effective for mild to medium arthritis pain in cats. But it has to be given every day, it is a cumulative effect supplement, not an as needed type of thing.

Ask your vet about either adequan injections or laser treatment. Both are very effective at controlling arthritis pain and keeping kitty mobile.

I was planning on the adequan injections when my senior boy starts getting bad (he's only a little stiff just now) but now that the laser therapy is available I will probably just go straight to that.

This is the company my vet uses. Turn down your speakers, there's an annoying loud video (good morning america endorsement of the product) that starts up when you access the page.

Companion Therapy Lasers for Pain Relief and Healing | Vet Lasers | Laser Therapy for Companion Pets

Old 08-14-2011, 11:32 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
Actually I am still giving Cosequin but just about out now....I had never heard of an OTC pain med being ok, but just wanted to check.

Might ask about the laser...she also gets oral Metacam suspension for inflammation and pain when it seems to be a bad day.

Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
What kind of OTC are you talking about? There are no human pain meds that are safe for cats.

Why did you stop the cosequin? It is very effective for mild to medium arthritis pain in cats. But it has to be given every day, it is a cumulative effect supplement, not an as needed type of thing.

Ask your vet about either adequan injections or laser treatment. Both are very effective at controlling arthritis pain and keeping kitty mobile.

I was planning on the adequan injections when my senior boy starts getting bad (he's only a little stiff just now) but now that the laser therapy is available I will probably just go straight to that.

This is the company my vet uses. Turn down your speakers, there's an annoying loud video (good morning america endorsement of the product) that starts up when you access the page.

Companion Therapy Lasers for Pain Relief and Healing | Vet Lasers | Laser Therapy for Companion Pets

Old 08-14-2011, 11:38 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,552,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Actually I am still giving Cosequin but just about out now....I had never heard of an OTC pain med being ok, but just wanted to check.

Might ask about the laser...she also gets oral Metacam suspension for inflammation and pain when it seems to be a bad day.

Thanks...
You're welcome. Do you know that metacam is very controversial and causes acute kidney failure in cats. I think it should not be used for cats ever, except in nothing to lose situations, as perhaps a way to ease the pain of a cat who is going to die soon anyway. I hope you are using it as infrequently as possible. I wish vets would stop prescribing it for cats.

I can post links for more information if you want.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:48 PM

157 posts, read 587,066 times
catsmom2 has given you very good advice, the Metacam is not safe for cats....ask your Vet about replacing it with BURPONORPHINE(buprenex)...this is a much safer choice.
others are Butorphanol or Tamadol. but IMO Bupronorphine is the best choice.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:53 PM

157 posts, read 587,066 times
don't know what happened to my first reply so this maybe a repeat?

catsmom2 is very right in saying that metacam isn't safe for cats....nor are steroids.
the best choice for a pain med is BUPRONORPHINE(buprenex) this has the least side effects..
other choices are Butorphanal or Tranadol
Please ask your Vet about this...♥

Old 11-06-2011, 07:38 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,052,256 times
There is a glucosomine cat treat in packets that I get at Petsmart or Petco. About $ 6 and its tasty and the cat loves it. Has made the biggest difference in my calico, who was isolating herself and not being social until I started this treat. She is a different cat now. She is about 8 or 9 and is full of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats