U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 06:21 PM

9,362 posts, read 23,532,705 times

Advertisements

Cats are so weird. It's as though they are on a perpetual acid trip.

I have an indoor/outdoor cat. She likes to go out for about fifteen or twenty minutes each morning. Every single morning when she goes to the door and I open it, she walks to the threshold and spends several seconds looking out as though she just landed on a new planet. The yard is fenced and it's not as though there are predators out there. I think she is looking for aliens.

How weird is your cat?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 07:53 PM

4,033 posts, read 9,210,456 times
My indoor/outdoor does the same thing; it takes her a good 15 seconds to bolt out the door. She also looks out (we live on the 3rd floor) below for several minutes before going all the way downstairs; it's really funny seeing just her head popped out from the third floor railing (:

She will also insist on going out only to insist on coming right back in; I guess she went out and found something she didn't like.

Oh, and did I also mention that she has learned how to flick the front door handle? It still creeps me out every time she does it!

Old 08-19-2011, 09:11 PM

27,090 posts, read 7,859,906 times
We love these fun cat threads...yes they are SO weird but we love them that way.

Roxie licks me anytime we are close...I am not allowed to pet her, only she can do any interaction...which is licking me. A lot.

Marlie has an incredible fascination with a knit glove that I bought for $.50/pr to use around the house. He plays with nothing else except this glove. Ever.

Fuzzie waits until about 2am, then prowls for her prey...she finds a stuffed mouse, gets it in her mouth, then asserts very loudly in a gutteral voice that she has "caught" something.

And then there is Jackie. He sleeps in the bathtub, has favorites scents he likes to smell (soap, fragrant flowers, hair), consistently knocks anything on the bedside table off to the floor and looks really happy with himself afterwards....

I love my cats.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:14 PM

9,362 posts, read 23,532,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
We love these fun cat threads...yes they are SO weird but we love them that way.

Roxie licks me anytime we are close...I am not allowed to pet her, only she can do any interaction...which is licking me. A lot.

Marlie has an incredible fascination with a knit glove that I bought for $.50/pr to use around the house. He plays with nothing else except this glove. Ever.

Fuzzie waits until about 2am, then prowls for her prey...she finds a stuffed mouse, gets it in her mouth, then asserts very loudly in a gutteral voice that she has "caught" something.

And then there is Jackie. He sleeps in the bathtub, has favorites scents he likes to smell (soap, fragrant flowers, hair), consistently knocks anything on the bedside table off to the floor and looks really happy with himself afterwards....

I love my cats.
They must all have gotten different assignments from their alien god.....

Old 08-19-2011, 09:51 PM

7,067 posts, read 14,584,598 times
Cats are very cautious by nature and it is instinctive for them to stand and inspect an area before bounding out into it.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:15 PM

18,847 posts, read 33,782,806 times
Jasper looks at the door intently, he thinks about going outside, but does not.

He sleeps under the covers. And now, in this new apartment, he opens doors to everything, cupboards, doors, just to check it out...

Beau is strange, he will all the sudden just start tearing around the house, for no reason. He KNOWS when he is BAD...once he jumped on the table, and stole a roll, and ran away to eat his roll, while running away, he had his tail straight over his back, that is his "I know I am being a bad boy" sign.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:44 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,692,133 times
i agree they are strange. Some cat that you own yourself will be all over you in the house and when they go out side they will run away from you n not let you catch them........come home when they want to

Old 08-20-2011, 07:20 PM

4,033 posts, read 9,210,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

I love my cats.
Well, what do you expect when you give a boy cat a girl's name, LOL

Old 08-20-2011, 08:34 PM

8,232 posts, read 12,585,714 times
One of mine hops around on the bed to get me up to let him out every night around 1:30 or 2:00 in the morning. So I get up, we walk out to the door area which is also where their food is. He goes and starts eating. Exasperated I go back to bed. 15 minutes later he gets me up again. Every night!

Old 08-20-2011, 09:01 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,162,817 times
Robin knows that the bedroom upstairs is her brother's room and generally off limits. But every night she'll HOWL outside the room until I let her in. She'll run around like a complete manic and knock things over for about five minutes. Then I'll go to the door and open it, and she bolts downstairs so fast she almost falls over herself. I have NO idea what any of that is about.

Another weird thing with Robin is her phobia of enclosed spaces. If she's locked in the bathroom or bedroom she panics to the point she'll urinate on herself.

JJ is the weirdest cat I've ever had. He's scary smart, but only uses his powers for evil. He's hilarious when he gets frustrated- he'll chase his tail, attack the bed, and do full back flips.

Example of JJ's weirdness...

Mom broke a plate in the kitchen. There was one finger sized chunk we couldn't find, and Mom was freaking out and saying JJ would eat it. She's very dramatic, and I was kind of rolling my eyes and saying not even JJ would chew on a big piece of ceramaic (the plate wasn't even dirty.). Then I hear nomnomclackclanknomnom...I turn around and here's JJ chewing on the plate like it's a fine steak.

Heather was our cat who recently passed away from a brain tumor. I used to own a cactus that I'd had for years, and it was kept up on a very high bookcase. I came home one day to find the cactus on the floor and Heather with her face swollen to about five times it's normal size. Here's the kicker though- she was still eating it. Just gnawing away getting poked in the face by spikes like it was nothing. It ended up being an emergency vet run and for a few months half her face was bald where they shaved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats