U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 09:20 PM

3,712 posts, read 10,122,709 times

Advertisements

I thought they were mostly all getting along well - except for Hannah who still seems to be a ****** around any of the boys.... but someone is peeing inappropriately!

I have no idea who, since I've never seen anything in action. I went to scoop the upstairs litter box -that doesn't get used much- and stepped in something liquid although it didn't smell. and no, there's no water around there. that was odd.and it wasn't yellow (it was on heavy duty grey plastic, tough to even see wet!).

this morning in the bathroom I noticed one of the bathmats has been peed on recently, so that went into the wash (along with a good dose of Nature's Miracle).

Tonight, I'm folding laundry and a bunch of the t-shirts smell. I don't see any staining, no sign of something wet in a particular spot that leaked through to other shirts.

Everyone uses the litterboxes downstairs. Canute does like to sleep in the laundry basket, but he's done that for years and never peed there. I think I saw Henry there recently which is a little unusual, but he's always been very good. None of them has ever displayed such behavior!

Any suggestions? I don't understand how the laundry can smell with no obvious pee spots. but those shirts will have to be re-washed. I do put a little rescue remedy in the main water bubbler. I've never had cats that did this (only one that was afraid of litter who's mother didn't teach it any better).

Advice? I don't even know who it is!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 09:46 PM

18,847 posts, read 33,785,983 times
Pierre started marking when Mickey arrived. He was a nuetered Siamese, never marked before, after that, he marked everything, all the time. It was gross. Honestly, I would have got rid of him. But my Mom kept him. He ruined furniture, created messes, pee everywhere...nothing we ever did could fix it.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:55 AM

7,079 posts, read 14,590,104 times
Someone may be sick, you will have to start being the Pee Police and following cats around until you discover who it is.

Watch for specific behaviors such as running from box to box, or frequent unproductive squatting in or out of the litter box, scratching in the box longer than normal, straining in the box, or outside of the box.

Eventually the sick one may come and squat right in front of you to let you know it is her or him.

Once you know who it is, right to the vet, UTIs hurt! (and in males can become fatal very quickly by sudden blockage)

Old 08-25-2011, 08:57 PM

with 5 cats, running around to spy on them all the time is an impossible task. especially when you add in hours sleeping (and they aren't) and hours working.

I have not seen any unusual behavior in the litterbox, or anyone running looking like they're in trouble. scratching in the box longer than normal - ha! Canute has always wanted to dig to China! I can't put too much litter in because he'll toss a lot out.

If I see anything, I'll act on it as soon as I can. but.. I can't run around around the house checking constantly to see if one of the 5 is sauntering to the box, and the boxes aren't anywhere I normally am. I do scoop them at least a couple of times a day, though.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:29 PM

Oh, well. See, I wouldn't be thinking of it in terms of "can't".

From my point of view, when there is a cat that may be ill, I'll do what it takes to figure out which cat it is and get him or her to the vet before it's too late. .

Since cats are the masters of hiding illness and pain, if you wait until one actually looks sick, it may be too late, and/or you will be faced with a much more major problem. Not to mention urinary tract issues hurt.

Since cats can't come to us and say, "hey it hurts when I pee", we have to be the ones to notice if a cat is acting like it hurts when s/he pees, such as avoiding the litter box.

Occasional inconvenience, such as keeping a sharper eye the cats for a few days, is just another part of pet ownership. It's not like you have to do it forever. For that matter, I would think you'd rather find out sooner rather than later who is having the problem, simply to have an end to having your things peed on.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:29 AM

actually, I haven't noticed anything else since those 2. there has been no change in litterbox behavior. water is being consumed at it's normal rate. Yes, I take the health of my cats seriously. But I still don't believe you would stay home from work and stay up all night to station yourself at the litter boxes in order to watch when 5 cats come to do their business. The walk very quietly when they want to, I can't tell when someone is down there. I've already been monitoring for Magnus who has colitis to see what food is working for him and how he's doing. really wish it wasn't the $32/8lb food that did the best (he can handle of mix of other digestive type foods, but not exclusively on the non-Hills).

I don't believe it is an illness, I suspect it may be much more of a merging issue since it's been barely 1 month since all 5 have been together and Hannah is still very ******y about anyone getting too close to her personal space. She already has shown some signs of personality change: she used to love being combed and now hates it and runs - or we get into hissy arguments. But she is still affectionate, likes being petted & massaged and often follows me around. She took a while when I first got her to acclimate. but again: she's fine with the others if they don't get too close.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:55 AM

You could be right about territorial marking. Some feliway plug in diffusers can help.

However with males you can't be too careful as they can block very suddenly. Once blocked they die within 24 hours without emergency treatment.

I never suggested you stay home from work or stay up all night. But it is possible for anyone to keep a sharper eye out for litter box habits when a problem is suspected, than most people normally do on a daily basis.

I say 'most people' because I am not like 'most'. I know the bathroom habits of all four of my cats quite well and can tell most times whose pee or poop it is in any of the boxes.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:36 PM

I happened to catch Canute & Henry in teh box after dinner this evening. They didn't seem to have any problems. Yes, I agree cystitis and UTIs can be very dangerous with males (and, as I know, very painful). But I really don't think it's anything medical.

See, the very odd thing was that while much of the laundry smelled very bad.. there were no urine stains or other spots! I can't imagine how anyone could have peed in the basket and not left some sort of visual evidence! very odd. The bath mat was wet to the touch and looked like trace yellow staining on the underside - but it's not happened since (thank goodness!).

somewhere I've got some Cat Ease spray - which I've used when I remember in the carriers. I coudl try spritzing it around the house? do you think that would help? It's supposed to be a pheramone solution...

Henry & William were having a lovely game of chase this morning - happy playing, no issues at all. Cats are sometimes confusing!

Old 08-31-2011, 07:58 AM

update: it is exactly as I thought- it's Hannah. The boys are all just fine. I had William in to the vet for an ear infection checkup and asked them to do a urinary check simply because he was there and we could rule him out. he was fine. Brought Hannah in yesterday evening, since I suspected her most, and had her checked. She's the picture of health. However, I have just caught her after the fact - leaving the room (only cat in there) with a fresh puddle of pee on the plastic in front of the litterbox! Since she's always been a somewhat anxious cat, and her health is fine, the vet has put her on clomacalm for about 4 months and then we'll reassess. Oh I hope it works - and works soon!

Old 08-31-2011, 08:10 AM

Thanks for the update. Was a urine culture done for Hannah? A culture takes a few days and is the most thorough way to check for urinary tract problems.

I hope the clomicalm helps reduce Hannah's stress. But if she is forming crystals it won't get to the root of the problem. If she has idiopathic cystitis it may help because reducing stress will reduce the inflammation in her urinary tract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats