Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 11:36 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,288,274 times

Advertisements

My kitty currently eats raw chicken in a mushy like form with water added. We have been trying to switch him to a high quality gain free wet. For over a week I have been mixing in some with his raw. Right now it's about half and half. Each day for a few days I've tried giving him a bit straight out of the can. It's not as soupy as his combo food. He looks very confused by it like he doesn't even realize it's food. He will circle it and sniff and lick but not really eat. Then he tries to bury it. I could try and add water but I want to get to a point where he will eat out of the can. Any suggestions or advice?

I'd like to keep this on topic and not a raw vs wet debate. We have our reasons fo switching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 12:57 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,721 times
So you want him to eat the wet food directly from the can? Why? Why not put it in a food bowl, mix it with a little water and serve it to him that way?

My cats generally prefer the water added and since kidney disease is so common in cats I want them to have as much water as possible.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:58 PM

575 posts, read 1,996,551 times
I guess I would switch off raw the same way you would switch to raw. Slowly. Mixing mostly the raw with a bit of canned. Keeping in mind that what he is used to is chicken so that flavor is likely to go over the best. Try a few brands if one isn't seeming to be eaten very well. Keep it simple - I do know the Weruva Paw Lickin' Chicken is just shredded Chicken with no veggies or other stuff in it so you could try that flavor. The Wereuva On the Cat Wok is just shredded chicken and beef. I'm not familiar with many brands so someone else may give you some options here.

Just like converting cats to raw I would say give it patience and time. You're asking him to adjust to a whole different type of food. As I am trying to get mine off of kibble and START eating raw currently some people have suggested putting a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese on the food as cats really love that You may give that a try. I would just add a bit of the canned at a time to get him used to the new flavor and texture - almost like hiding a few peas in mashed potatoes for little kids

Sorry to hear the raw feeding didn't work out for you though

Old 08-31-2011, 01:27 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post
My kitty currently eats raw chicken in a mushy like form with water added. We have been trying to switch him to a high quality gain free wet. For over a week I have been mixing in some with his raw. Right now it's about half and half. Each day for a few days I've tried giving him a bit straight out of the can. It's not as soupy as his combo food. He looks very confused by it like he doesn't even realize it's food. He will circle it and sniff and lick but not really eat. Then he tries to bury it. I could try and add water but I want to get to a point where he will eat out of the can. Any suggestions or advice?

I'd like to keep this on topic and not a raw vs wet debate. We have our reasons fo switching.
If he's trying to bury the new food, maybe he's trying to tell you something (i.e. that he thinks it's, er, sh*t, LOL ).

I know that you have had difficulty re: preparation of the raw food--completely understandable. However, given his reaction, I would suggest finding a pre-made raw food in your area and feeding him that instead so that you do not have to go through the preps yourself. It sounds like he really likes his raw diet.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:40 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
You just gotta mix and transition s l o w l y. And you may have to try different cans. There are some different decent grain-free varieties you can try from Weruva and such. It can be a big pain and just a head-scratcher as to what the cat does and doesn't like. For example, my cat loves chicken treats and chicken-based dry food. But I can't get her to eat chicken canned food straight; she'll eat some canned chicken if it's mixed in with tuna and/or salmon. That said, though I give that as an example, I do recommend not resorting to fish if you can help it because then you'll be stuck with fish forever, LOL.

I'm going to assume by "eat out of the can" you mean straight from the can and not mixed with anything. And that you don't mean using the can instead of a bowl (as in pop the top and set the can on the floor). The latter would really not be advisable, nor would it work too well except maybe with extremely hungry cat.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I'm going to assume by "eat out of the can" you mean straight from the can and not mixed with anything. And that you don't mean using the can instead of a bowl (as in pop the top and set the can on the floor). The latter would really not be advisable, nor would it work too well except maybe with extremely hungry cat.
Exactly what I meant. I would never just plop the can down.

As for sticking with raw, it's not an option. It's just to much work with the thawing and our schedules. It's a personal decision that has been made. I've done a lot of research and I've decided my kitty can live a happy and healthy life with wet food.

I'll transition slowly. I've tried Wellness, Wellness core and Merrick Before Grain (chicken for all 3) and she's done better with the Wellness one's. She didn't really want the Merrick BG. I might try some evo 95% chicken. Any other grain free brands that you can recommend?

Old 08-31-2011, 04:33 PM

97 posts, read 210,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post

First of all, why on earth are you switching from raw to wet???

jk

Old 08-31-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats-r-us View Post
First of all, why on earth are you switching from raw to wet???

jk

Old 08-31-2011, 04:42 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
when transitioning any type of food the general rule of thumb is the first week to substitute 10 percent of the raw food with the canned food. The second week substitute 25 percent, the third and fourth week 50 percent. the fifth week substitute 75 percent with wet food and the sixth week you should be able to feed them 100 percent wet food.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-31-2011, 06:28 PM

575 posts, read 1,996,551 times
Someone else chime in here - but I'm not sure if the EVO 95% are meant to be complete diets or supplement toppers to kibble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats