U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 12:46 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,712,416 times

Advertisements

I've considered declawing or (sadly) putting her up for adoption through the local shelter.

All of the options that have been given to me thus far are time- and cost-intensive. The cheapest option I've found for declawing the front two claws is $250. That's pretty steep IMO. Not to mention, I don't really want to cut her toes off.

Other options have been to trim her nails monthly ($20/month) and this doesn't guarantee she'll stop clawing my carpet, or put Soft Paws on ($40/month for supplies and application). It's also been suggested to buy her more scratch posts, which she already has one, and it doesn't prevent her from scratching up my carpet.

I really don't know how to adjust her behavior. I put the radio on when I'm out. I put out more toys for her to play with throughout the apartment. I play with her more when I'm home. But she still claws up the carpeting along the walls.

I recently started a new job and I'm already stressed as it is. She is becoming an additional headache for me and it's literally making me sick. I really am a compassionate person and I do enjoy having pets. But this is just becoming an unnecessary hassle for me.

I'm at wit's end here. I've actually thought about dropping her off at the shelter where I adopted her because of this. I hate to do this, but it's taking a toll on my mental, physical, and (potentially) financial well-being.

Any thoughts/opinions/suggestions?

Last edited by Z3N1TH 0N3; 08-31-2011 at 01:09 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 01:17 PM

14,062 posts, read 6,758,293 times
Don't declaw, that is amputation. Sounds like the cat has seperation anxiety. It should probably go to a home where someone is there all day. Tough to do.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:38 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,565,377 times
Yes, don't declaw. My cat does this as well, usually when she wants to go out. I allow her to go outside but only b/c I know that it is safe (low traffic, shelter, etc.) That said, if you can provide a pation area or even a cat habitat for her, then she will probably stop clawing up the carpet. Moreover, if you own your own home, you could just get rid of the carpet. However, all of these solutions are costly.

$40/month for the Softpaws is really not that expensive, especially if it fixes the problem. However, it sounds as if, regardless of how compassionate you are, you really don't have the time, energy or money to deal with this situation properly. So, I would find a local, no-kill shelter and rehome her.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:52 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,496,659 times
Get sisal scratchers and clip your cats nails with toenail clippers. Not very difficult at all. But, your decision depends on your devotion because it doesn't seem like you are that attached. I couldn't give up my cat over scratching personally, but maybe you can. I also find declawing unnecessary and it almost always leads to cats that bite a lot more (they use their claws as a form of defense and when they don't have those, they find a different form of defense), is expensive and cruel.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Sounds like the cat has seperation anxiety. It should probably go to a home where someone is there all day. Tough to do.
Yes, sadly this is what I'm thinking I must do.

With my new job that I just started a few weeks ago, I'm not home very often. And of course, I'm usually out on the weekends enjoying my free time. I think she does require attention that I can no longer provide her with my new schedule. This will be a tough decision indeed.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Get sisal scratchers and clip your cats nails with toenail clippers. Not very difficult at all. But, your decision depends on your devotion because it doesn't seem like you are that attached.
I've had her for a little under a year now. I guess I'm not attached to her in the way as some people are attached to their pets. One lady I knew used her company credit card (without asking) to pay for her dog's surgery. That is just plain nuts to me, but many of you might have done the same thing. I'm certainly not in the same category as that, though I do love my pets and take care of them as best I can.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:12 PM

4,308 posts, read 12,727,389 times
You can buy proper claw trimmers at petsmart for less than $10. Why don't you just do that? And maybe a few more toys to keep her occupied?

Old 08-31-2011, 03:31 PM

9,918 posts, read 22,911,820 times
It's not always this simple, but I tend to think at least if you haven't tried all these yet it could be a matter of figuring out scratching preferences. My cat never scratched the carpet and always wanted vertical surfaces. (Instead she might scratch the corner of my couch, for example.) And she turned out to like mainly sisal rope. But this is not true for every cat. Some like carpet the best, and some really love those cardboard things. (Mine never liked the cardboard.)

It sounds like your cat would really prefer a horizontal surface if she's scratching on the floor. So it might make sense to try some flat or perhaps angled scratchers if your current one is vertical. These are often cheaper anyway and thus fairly easy to try out. Try the cardboard, try the sisal, try a flat carpet scrap taped down with double sided tape. Put the scratcher in the area where she's already scratching. Make it attractive by rubbing on some catnip (or you can get catnip spray) and keep refreshing that for a while. I think she'll get it.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:33 PM

4,919 posts, read 21,625,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
though I do love my pets and take care of them as best I can.
You have two options facing you. One is to do and spend what is necessary to keep the cat. The other is to accept your at the point where removing the cat is the best option.

To me, it sounds like you have been looking at and dealing with option one to the point you (and it only matters what you are capable of doing) have come to conclusion that option two needs to be explored. If you choose option 2, you have no reason to regret or feel inadequate because you and only you are the one dealing with this. Since I;m not dealing with it, and you never mentioned that anyone else posting here lives with you and are also dealing with this, the ONLY person who knows the starin and disruption is you. With that said, here's my recommendation for dealing with option 2.
1. Try to first find someone you know who is acpable of dealing with this to see if they are willing to become the cats new owner. Freinds and relatives that you interact with all the time are your first best choice because you already know the person.
2. See if there is a dedicated rehoming service for cats in your area. A rehoming service (unlike a rescue) works specifically to find people wanting cats and work with you and them to place that cat with them. Most times, you will have to keep the cast with you until they find a set of prospects for you to choose from. Some rehoming services specialize in certain issues such as elderly, or other area so the closest you can find to you cats needs the best.
3. Find a reputable cat rescue that can adequetely take care of your cat as they find a new home for it. Check them out carefully to make sure they are not just a group of nut jobs that wants to save the whole cat world and have 500 cats living in a trailer.
4. Place ads and posters looking for a home. This is difficlut because you will be dealing with callers who really want a cat all the way to nut jobs.
5. Shelter, if all else fails, the shelter may be the last resort. Going this route you must accept that there is a possbility that it can be euthanized due to overcrowing when space becomes limited.
The items that you should never do is NEVER let it go into the "wild" thinking your doing something good by giving it a chance. Odds are it will die, get killed or end up in a shelter anyways.

The decission is yours and yours alone to make. Having the maturity and emotional strenght to know that you may not be able to take care of the cat in the present enviroment shows a whole lot more love for that cat than most wll admit.

Best of luck.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:36 PM

333 posts, read 997,692 times
I can't imagine just giving up a pet w/o trying various options. But that's just me...

Like Greg said...cats like different surfaces to scratch. If one isn't working, try another one. Get a cat tree with different scratching surfaces....
Petsmart.com - Cat: Furniture & Scratchers: Whisker City&#0174 Cat Lounge and Scratch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats