Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 08:43 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,260,641 times

Advertisements

We have 7 cats and each one of them knows their own name.

Their names are:
Ollie
Nordie
Olga
Moon Unit
Dweezil
Rico
Katie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 08:43 PM

2 posts, read 1,673 times
I love my felines xox

Old 01-19-2015, 10:40 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,848 times
My cats all know their names and when I call them they look directly at me for a few seconds before they go deaf and I become invisible.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:40 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,366,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
My cats all know their names and when I call them they look directly at me for a few seconds before they go deaf and I become invisible.
Oh yes. I've heard it referred to as 'selective hearing', and have no doubt it exists in all felines. I have a theory that they have a biological 'switch' somewhere in their little brains that immediately trips in a millisecond to shut down their hearing when they hear something they don't like or don't agree with (the word No for example).
My cats all know their names quite well. Whether or not they will respond to that name at any given time is a crap shoot, and totally dependent on the mood they're in. Blank stares, or half closed eyes are not uncommon when I try to communicate with them in a reasonable manner.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:55 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,185 times
The youngest does, the oldest doesnt.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:42 PM

20,378 posts, read 14,647,504 times
I would say that Nimbus could simply be responding to the sounds or tones of our voices, except that if he's sitting there and you talk and use his name in conversation in the middle of a sentence, he swivels his ear at you, or looks at you. Same for the word "cat." He understands that those words may be relevant to his interests. I have no idea if he is aware that they are actual descriptors for his own self.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:05 PM

605 posts, read 704,851 times
The real question is, do you know YOUR name when your cat calls you? If you haven't bothered to learn it, I'm sure they think why should they?

Old 01-19-2015, 04:35 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,692,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Yes, they all recognize and respond to their names. Even The Ball S*ck.

The old cat, Bertha, has had different names over the years and answered to them all. She started out as "Pepper", then when DH started calling her "God D**n Cat" all the time, she answered to that. Our younger daughter and I called her "GD" (I didn't like hearing her called "God D**n"). When we got the kittens, our daughter started referring to her as "Aunt Bertha" because she was old and large and crabby toward the kittens, like a large old crabby aunt. So "Bertha" suited her, and she's been called that ever since. And answers to it! I think she's forgotten she was once "Pepper" and "God D**n Cat".
my kitten was called Cisco named change Muffin she liked that name and knew it
always did come and I think at times she did think I am a dog!

Old 01-19-2015, 06:49 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,421,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annilyna View Post
The real question is, do you know YOUR name when your cat calls you? If you haven't bothered to learn it, I'm sure they think why should they?
Actually I do. I'm sure they think I've got selective hearing at times, since I don't always jump to do their bidding.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:39 PM

436 posts, read 578,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
My dad and I used to have a running argument as to whether or not cats can learn their names. He said "Absolutely not" and I said "Yes"...sometimes.

I have had cats who I think responded to their names but not all of mine did. One kitty would perk up her ears if she heard her name mentioned, not called, while she was sleeping.

Since cats don't come when they are called if they don't feel like it, calling them probably won't show whether or not they know we are calling them. Or if they do and just don't care.

My cat Gracie will come when I call "Gracie, STRING CHEESE" and have said cheese in my hand. That's one of her favorite treats. But I think she may think her name is Graciestringcheese. Who can tell?

Anyway, does your cat know his or her name?

100% my cats know their names. My black cat can be at the opposite end of a 2500 square foot house napping and if she hears her name she will come running with her pretty little kitty cat face looking up as if to say you called me? I have three cats and when you call one of their names that cat will look and the others will ignore. One cat you have to say her name two or three times before she looks but that black cat will come running like a dog when you call her name. In fact you can just be talking about her and she will come running in from the other room. It's so cute!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats