Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 10:47 AM

5,331 posts, read 8,539,987 times

Advertisements

My elderly cat has been throwing up fairly often lately (will be going to vet to checked out soon) - and I am trying to figure out the best way to clean the carpet.

I'm considering buying a steam cleaner, but I'd like to avoid that if I don't have to.

So, I'm open to hearing other methods that are effective.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 10:53 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,122,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E E View Post
My elderly cat has been throwing up fairly often lately (will be going to vet to checked out soon) - and I am trying to figure out the best way to clean the carpet.

I'm considering buying a steam cleaner, but I'd like to avoid that if I don't have to.

So, I'm open to hearing other methods that are effective.
Thanks!
We remove the solid matter with a paper towel and then clean the carpet with a little dish soap in hot water. The secret is to do it quickly before the dye they put in the cat food stains the carpet.

If there is any residual odor (as evidenced by cats trying to "cover up" the spot), we spray some Petastic on it (better than Nature's Miracle, IMHO).

We have three cats and on the average clean up 5 - 6 barfs a week. Gotta love em.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-05-2011, 11:14 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,465,092 times
Gather: vinyl or latex disposable gloves, paper towels, plastic wastecan liner, small bucket with hot water and Dawn, clean rag.

Put on gloves, scoop all with paper towels and put in bag, scrub spot with Dawn and water rinsing often, blot with paper towels. Everything in the bag and everything in the trash.

If there is a stain i.e. dark vomit on light rug, spray with Resolve, blot, repeat, repeat, repeat until stain is gone.

Remember, nothing can permanently stain polyester carpet. It's just a matter of how many times you spray and blot with Resolve or similar product.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:21 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,122,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Gather: vinyl or latex disposable gloves, paper towels, plastic wastecan liner, small bucket with hot water and Dawn, clean rag.

Put on gloves, scoop all with paper towels and put in bag, scrub spot with Dawn and water rinsing often, blot with paper towels. Everything in the bag and everything in the trash.

If there is a stain i.e. dark vomit on light rug, spray with Resolve, blot, repeat, repeat, repeat until stain is gone.

Remember, nothing can permanently stain polyester carpet. It's just a matter of how many times you spray and blot with Resolve or similar product.
Wish ours was polyester and not wool, because it stains like crazy.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-05-2011, 11:27 AM

thanks for the suggestions -

question: does using hot water cause the stains to set in more? and is there a way to disinfect the area? I'm concerned about germs remaining in the carpet

Old 09-05-2011, 01:05 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times
I don't think that there is alot of "germs" in cat vomit. I changed my cat's food, because some are more staining on the carpet than others. I went to Royal Canin, and give small portion sizes. I also give very small portion sizes of Fancy Feast. I feed my cat about 4 times a day. Tablespoon in morning, After work, again around 7pm, and before bed, at 11 pm.

If you are worried about germs, go with a steam machine.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:19 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,465,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E E View Post
thanks for the suggestions -

question: does using hot water cause the stains to set in more? and is there a way to disinfect the area? I'm concerned about germs remaining in the carpet

Stains do not set in polyester. If you have wool carpeting, you are in .1% of the population. I am assuming that you do not.

Germs do not survive in carpet. And, they do not grow. You wear gloves to avoid any active viruses or having bacteria enter little cuts or scrapes in your skin.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:45 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Dish soap, rags and lots of elbow grease.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:34 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,938 times
The dog always got to it before we did. Sorry, it's gross, but it was reality.

We also used a small hand held carpet cleaner that worked great.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:43 PM

thanks folks!

I've got clean carpet now!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats