Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-07-2011, 04:32 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
1,142 posts, read 2,131,647 times
Reputation: 1349

Advertisements

one of my cats, miss jelly had the same problem and did the same thing - your cats are having a depth perception problem - go to amazon or a pet store and buy a water fountain for your cats - there is a constant stream of water running similar to a water fall plus it keeps the water cool - it does require being plugged into an outlet but it was worth it to me -
the reason i know its a depth perception problem is i had on my coffee table a candle arrangement surrounded by small black rocks - one day while reading and the house was quiet i heard this clink - i went to look in the kitchen to find out about that noise - i looked around and at first saw nothing had fallen but as i looked at the floor there in miss jelly's water bowl was one of the black rocks - also when the cats are pushing the water bowl around the movement in the water helps them see where the water is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-07-2011, 04:34 PM
 
13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Reputation: 16580
beatlecrazy...I just use and old heavy stainless steel pot....all 6 cats and 2 dogs drink from it...just a matter of keeping it topped up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2011, 07:18 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,051 posts, read 2,473,081 times
Reputation: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
one of my cats, miss jelly had the same problem and did the same thing - your cats are having a depth perception problem - go to amazon or a pet store and buy a water fountain for your cats - there is a constant stream of water running similar to a water fall plus it keeps the water cool - it does require being plugged into an outlet but it was worth it to me -
the reason i know its a depth perception problem is i had on my coffee table a candle arrangement surrounded by small black rocks - one day while reading and the house was quiet i heard this clink - i went to look in the kitchen to find out about that noise - i looked around and at first saw nothing had fallen but as i looked at the floor there in miss jelly's water bowl was one of the black rocks - also when the cats are pushing the water bowl around the movement in the water helps them see where the water is
Hi PJ - we did try a water fountain too, but they splash it everywhere. They managed to even knock it over, even though the thing weights over 10 pounds. I seriously think they take turns charging at the bowl/fountain and getting it to spill. Kind of like a really fun game to them.

I had a similar arrangement on my coffee table last fall, and I'd always come home to black rocks on the floor, so I had to take it off. Maybe putting something IN the bowl would work for now too. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2011, 07:19 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,051 posts, read 2,473,081 times
Reputation: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
beatlecrazy...I just use and old heavy stainless steel pot....all 6 cats and 2 dogs drink from it...just a matter of keeping it topped up.
Thanks purehuman - another great idea to add to the mix!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 07:35 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,051 posts, read 2,473,081 times
Reputation: 963
Okay, so last night I tried the method of putting the water bowl inside of a large pan, so at least if they try to splash or tip it, the water will land in the pan instead of either on their mat or all over the floor. IT WORKED!! I'm so excited. Nothing was tipped OR splashed, and they were happily drinking out of it this morning when I went to refill the bowl. Thanks everyone for your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2011, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Reputation: 35863
I have used a "gerbil jar" for all my cats over the past 30 years. Here's what I did.

I bought a two foot high scratching post but if you are handy with tools you can make your own holder. I attached the type of water bottle one finds in gerbil or hamster cages. It consists of a quart size bottle and the metal to attach it to the bars of a cage but I attached it to the scratching post.

When showing a new kitty how to use it, I poke the little ball bearing that stops the water so they can see there is water there. It took all my Siamese cats about two minutes to catch on. Once one did, the others followed. My present kitty took a little longer; about maybe a couple of weeks but she is not a clever meezer.

She still got water from a dish while she was learning how to use the gerbil jar. Eventually the cats learn to lick the spout that fits in the bottom of the jar to get their water.

No muss, no fuss and if you need to monitor how much your cat is drinking, this is a good way to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2011, 03:12 PM
 
Location: SE Michigan
6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Reputation: 10355
Son glad the large pan idea worked! I was going to suggest that too....I've had a couple of puppies who splashed and played and overturned water bowls, so I put the water bowl inside a large, shallow plastic pan.

Right now I have a very large, very heavy, silver-plated bowl. A local hospital donated them to our rescue a few years ago; I'm not sure what the original purpose was. But the dogs and cats share it and when full, I can't imagine cats tipping it over. But your beasties sound really determined. And strong!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2011, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,051 posts, read 2,473,081 times
Reputation: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Son glad the large pan idea worked! I was going to suggest that too....I've had a couple of puppies who splashed and played and overturned water bowls, so I put the water bowl inside a large, shallow plastic pan.

Right now I have a very large, very heavy, silver-plated bowl. A local hospital donated them to our rescue a few years ago; I'm not sure what the original purpose was. But the dogs and cats share it and when full, I can't imagine cats tipping it over. But your beasties sound really determined. And strong!
Haha, they are determined, all the time even when sleeping! The one that I suspect of always tipping it is the chubby one, he always rams into stuff to see it go flying. Last night he took a running start and charged right into my arrangement of (fake) flowers that I was trying to put on the coffee table, a new fall assortment. I went into the kitchen and I heard "SLAM!" then the flowers were everywhere, the glass vase was toppled, all the beads inside were scattered, and he's sitting on top of some of the flowers purring. Ahhh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2011, 08:03 PM
 
Location: Monadnock region
3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
Reputation: 2470
I did something similar with my first office cat. Fleder seemed to like to play with her water dish - or splash the water out of it, not sure which. I didn't like it the floor being constantly wet.. so I found a heavy plaster water dish and set it in a very small plastic dish pan. Then she couldn't really get at it to move it around, and if she insisted on splashing (still not quite as easy to get to) at least the water would be contained! yet she could still easily drink out of it. It worked, and I never had any more trouble with wet floors or dumped dishes after that!

Now I use a petmate bubbler for my cats! it holds 1.5 gallons and you can adjust the amount of bubbles that cycle the water. easy to fill, easy to wash, I love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2011, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Philaburbia
41,947 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Reputation: 66884
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlecrazy View Post
The one that I suspect of always tipping it is the chubby one, he always rams into stuff to see it go flying. Last night he took a running start and charged right into my arrangement of (fake) flowers that I was trying to put on the coffee table, a new fall assortment. I went into the kitchen and I heard "SLAM!" then the flowers were everywhere, the glass vase was toppled, all the beads inside were scattered, and he's sitting on top of some of the flowers purring. Ahhh!
Sorry that I'm LMAO at your misfortune, but ... What a handful he must be!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top