Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 07:59 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,462,874 times

Advertisements

Hi guys!
I am just really desperate with this water bowl problem. I searched back on the forums and even tried to Google other ideas, but nothing really was helping.

My two cats are brothers from the same litter and have very different personalities, but one thing they have in common is tipping the stupid water bowl! I have tried multiple times to get the correct kind of bowl. The first one was heavy ceramic (when they were little kittens) and they'd move it around and splash water all over my carpet. The next thing I tried was a dog's water bowl, a medium size one that had a rubber bottom so it couldn't slide. Well the past week, it's been toppled over on their big food mat, water everywhere. What is the deal?

I also tried a cat water fountain, 2 of them to be exact, and they found a way to shift that all over the floor, even when I put a rubber non-slip surface thingy down! Now I am just getting mad. I was even thinking about putting a bottle of water (like the ones in crates for dogs) and attaching it to the wall somehow so they'd at least get water. I am sooo tired of coming home to water all over the floor. No matter what bowl I try, it's all over!

Any ideas are welcome! Thanks guys. Sorry to vent. In the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal, but a few times I've even fallen on the floor cause I didn't notice a huge puddle of water
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 09:16 AM

41,728 posts, read 74,675,578 times
Get a big, flat tray with raised sides and screw the water bowl into it!

Our male flips over his food dish, but not the water dish. Yet ...

Old 09-07-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
OH MY GOSH this is the best idea ever. I have a tray with raised sides that I put their food dish on, and it's pretty big (I think it was meant for a huge dog! haha). I'm doing this tonight. Actually I'll have my husband do it. Thanks Ohiogirl! Hopefully your cat doesn't do that

Old 09-07-2011, 09:40 AM

It may not be such a good idea after all ... You've got to make sure the water won't leak out of the bowl. Maybe a rubber washer? Or skip the screw and try Krazy Glue?

Old 09-07-2011, 09:40 AM

54 posts, read 138,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Our male flips over his food dish, but not the water dish. Yet ...

Awesome idea! I'm going to try this one too. Our oldest cat has been a "bowl flipper" or splasher since birth. Now we have a large ceramic dish that he can't flip, but he still splashes it all out once he has had a drink.

I had actually gotten to the point where I was so tired of wiping up the splashes I was playing waitress, giving him fresh water only when came and tapped me on the leg to request it, and then emptying the bowl after he drank to avoid the mess.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:57 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,774,933 times
I keep the sink in one of the bathrooms full of water.
It's easy to change or keep full, and the cats jump up there whenever they want to drink.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:14 AM

We keep the cats' upstairs water bowl near the trash cans in the kitchen -- if they spill it, I look at it as a sign that I need to mop the floor anyway ... The water's already there, so I might as well, right?

Old 09-07-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I keep the sink in one of the bathrooms full of water.
It's easy to change or keep full, and the cats jump up there whenever they want to drink.
That would be a good idea, but...

We don't let our cats roam around the house when we're at work, we have a large room upstairs that we keep them in during the day. We don't have a basement (UGH) so we let them have fun up there. They have food, water, tons of toys, their litter box is in the corner, it's just a big room with a nice window they can perch on.

I've come home to too much destruction! when they wrestle with each other it's like a herd of rhinos barreling through the upstairs. It's only while we're at work, when I get home I let them roam the house. The dog is crated all day too while we're gone, figure they can have an entire room to themselves

Old 09-07-2011, 10:41 AM

My husband has rubber washers, maybe I can ask him to look into it. He likes small projects that I find around the house, so perhaps he can take care of this for me. I didn't even think that drilling a hole in the water bowl would make it leak. DUH me!

Old 09-07-2011, 10:45 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,534,437 times
I have one of these. Neater Feeder I don't put water in it, and it's not exactly heavy, but it may work. Maybe you could screw the whole thing to the wall, LOL.

I don't think drilling a hole in a bowl is a good idea. One, you won't be able to get it out of there to clean well, and two, you will have the leak issue. You can certainly try attaching a regular bowl to something heavy (like maybe a block of lead? ) but I would say get a bowl that is flared out at the bottom and then you can screw down something that clamps that rim to a piece of wood or the floor itself or whatever. With the right hardware it would be removable with just a twist but not removable by the cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats