Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 10:16 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,287,338 times

Advertisements

Sirius got his 2nd FVRCP vaccine at 13 weeks old and is due for his 3rd and final at 16-17 weeks old. The vet told me that I should get his rabies vaccination along with this one. After his last FVRCP he was not feeling well for a few days. He didn't eat much the day after (even had a slight fever) but he was fine after about 3 days.

I'm worried that doing 2 at once would be worse or is it not really cumulative?
I don't want him to get any sicker than he was last time. And is the rabies any worse afterwards than FVRCP or not?

Thanks all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 10:55 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,536,702 times
I prefer getting all the shots separately. I also get the full set once and stop. I only get the other shots if required by law, or if I plan to board someplace other than my vets.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:49 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times
I would separate the shots by a week or two. Don't let the vet brush your concerns off, you have a right to have it done the way you want.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:18 AM

575 posts, read 1,995,790 times
My vet has told me that if you do not separate by a minimum of two weeks then you are not allowing the immune system enough time to recover and you may as well give them at the same time.

My concern though in some of you comments is that if your vet truly seems to brush off your opinion and not share the same concerns that you do, perhaps you may want to interview some other vets for his second shot. I know that you were new to the vet so maybe that one wasn't the right one for you. A good vet shouldn't be critical or uncaring to your thoughts or worries.

There is a non adjuvant version of the FVRCP now and that is what I would make sure you get - it's made by Merial. Do not let them give that injection using the VETJET - the FDA is now issuing warnings against it due to it causing femur fractures in kittens

I also give the kitten series and then no more - but vaccines are a hot button with everyone and you need to really do your own research on QUALITY websites and decide what and how often to give. Fortunately, if you decide not to vaccinate for few years and you decide you are not comfortable with that - you can always give them another booster at an upcoming visit - it's not a no return situation

Old 09-08-2011, 10:26 AM

My vet is actually pretty good about my concerns. They told me they would assess his overall vitals when he comes in for his FVRCP and determine if they think he should get the rabies at the same time. He said it's entirely up to me when I want each done though. I just looked at it as, either he gets 2 and gets sicker than 1 (or the same amount) or he gets 1, gets sick, waits 3 more weeks, gets another, then gets sick again. I was just wondering if it might be better to get it all done at once but it doesn't seem as if it's advisable.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:00 AM

Oh - my mistake, I thought either in this thread or another it kinda sounded like your vet just seemed to not take your concern very seriously. Good then

I think sometimes that any cat or dog can get a vaccine and shake it off like nobody's business. I think more often then not they exhibit the usual symptoms for a day of being a bit more sleepy than normal and not really eating much.

Any vomiting, diarrhea, or fever need to be taken seriously. Reactions to vaccines are classified in stages 1-5 (I think) and range from skin reactions to anaphylaxis, to death. Any reaction you noticed should be reported to your vet. And you should keep watch over the areas of injection for about 3 days for redness and skin swelling or hair loss and for several weeks (yes) for lump to appear - report that immediately.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:13 PM

My senior boy has always gotten sick and ill feeling for a few days after the three year FVRCP-when he was still getting it. (He hasn't had one in years) He's never had any issues with the annual PureVax rabies.

I am very glad to know there is a PureVax distemper now.

I agree with you about the vet-jet kittymom4. Do you know anything about the nasal vaccines?

I keep forgetting to ask my vet about them, there always seems to be something more pressing to discuss. Since my adult cats no longer get FVRCP the subject of this vaccine doesn't come up, but my no-longer-a-kitten is about to get her first three year (and probably only, depending on future circumstances) FVRCP booster (she had the kitten series at the appropriate age), and I will be asking her about the nasal vaccine, and the non-adjuntavated distemper!

Old 09-08-2011, 12:21 PM

So what exactly should I ask my vet when I call? Ask for purevax or what?

And if they don't offer it should I not keep going to my current vet?

And in googling adjuvant it seems that it helps boost the immune system so wouldn't it be safe to assume my kitten might get sicker with the adjuvant free vaccine?

Old 09-08-2011, 12:31 PM

The adjuvant is thought to possibly be the cause of VAS (vaccine associated sarcoma)

It's not boosting the immune system, it boosts the body's immune response to the antigen being introduced, supposedly making the immunity last longer,that is why the PureVax rabies is only approved as a one year vaccine, so far. I expect that will change eventually.

But at the same time of course, it can make the cat feel sicker, since it is boosting the body's immune response.

*I am not a vet, and this is only my unscientific understanding about these particular vaccines.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:39 PM

The adjuvant is usually aluminum and when they biopsy tumors found in VAS they usually find the aluminum in the tissue from the vaccines.

Catsmom is right about it boosting the immune response - adjuvants are also used in human vaccines.

Felines are just known for reacting differently to things. Medicines, vaccines, and even research indicating microchips causing foreign body sarcomas. Their bodies and immune systems are just different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats