Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 02:18 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times

Advertisements

I bought some bitter spray at the pet store for cords. Maybe spray the blanket? It is odorless. I had to replace a keyboard, cable modem, wireless modem, phone USB cord, printer cable and an MP3 cord due to one baby. How he didn't burn his mouth or die I'll never know! I used those cord wrapper thingies then periodically spray them.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 09:41 PM

575 posts, read 1,995,302 times
Weird cats!! Well since Mak is so young I think I still have hope that it's a baby thing that will go away! But he does that bite down thing too! He will just sit next to me and like wrap his whole mouth around my arm or my knee and bite down and turn his head like I'm a ham bone or something LOL it's funny now - but not when he's 5 and still doing this crap. So we are really trying to get the point across that this is not acceptable - and trying not to play with him with our hands and stuff. It's hard though.

I did catch him in the act of the blanket chewing. He was trying to cuddle down for a nap. He started to knead and suck on the blanket then he went in for the chew. Which I suspected it was some sort of a comfort thing but didn't know for sure till I saw it. So again - hopefully soon he will out grow it - until then My nice winter down comforter is staying put away. Luckily the two bed blankets that have the holes were bought at Penney's on Clearance for about $25 each - they were still nice enough and I wanted to keep them - but I'm not heartbroken over it. My comforter would have been another story!

Old 09-22-2011, 10:44 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Maybe he is teething, kittens go thru that stage, same as babies and puppies, those little teeth just want something to sink into. Beau chewed up Barbie dolls, and decapitated several. Murderous little brute that he was...

Old 09-23-2011, 11:58 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,602,293 times
Jasper: Just noticed you're a moderator now, is that new or have I not been on here much? Congrats, either way!!

I think with Fritz that somehow he's teething even though he's over a year old. When he does it his eyes are closed and he looks so happy! Maybe it's just an OCD behavior he's adopted.

Kittymom: Your kitty sounds like he's trying to nurse since he's kneeding at the same time. Maybe replace your arm with a toy when he tries to bite. We tried this with Fritz and it works.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:08 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
I've noticed boy cats tend to do this more than girls.

We have 4 cats, our girl cat doesn't do that, 2 of our boy cats do. all our cats were rescue cats, abused strays. I suppose they do that because they didn't get enough nursing from their mama cat.

The only cat that doesn't do that, I bottle fed him. He couldn't have been more than 2 weeks old when we got him, barely as big as my hand. He didn't have teeth, so I fed him KMR with a kitten bottle.. I fed him 7-8 times a day, he really enjoyed that. I guess he learned to be more secure with the initial "mama" attention

Also, I've noticed those that do the "woll sucking" never outgrow it. I've had cats do so way into adulthood. Just work around it. also, when they do that, it sometimes indicates they are hungry. Perhaps the food you're giving them isn't caloricaly dense enough, they may need something more dense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats