Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2007, 04:39 PM

726 posts, read 1,228,791 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find an way to help feral cats in my area. All I can find is sites that push adoption.

What about the problem? Are there programs for this issue or not?
I live in Carlisle Pa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 08:12 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,593 times
Check out Alley Cat Allies. They are a national trap/fix/release advocacy group. Their website has a ton of information, and they might be able to put you in touch with local folks working on it.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:09 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,475,039 times
Another group is IndyFeral - Welcome to IndyFeral's Home on the Web!. Lots of good information. There are a lot of other groups all around.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,114 times
Please sit down and really think. Kind hearted people set up places for feral cats to live. First they do not have shelter. They suffer every time it rains and bakes in the hot sun finally the lucky ones freeze to death in the winter snow and ice. Next is trying to find food and water. As they get older the young cats get the food while the slowly starve to deat. Not to mention the environment. The native wild life are hunted down and are eaten alive. Go near one of the colonies. It is very quiet. No birds, nothing alive except skinny starving cats.

The humain thing to do is give them Tylenol. Buy som cheap canned cat food and a bottle of Tylenol. Do not worry Tylenol is deadly to cats only! Tylenol will not hurt dogs, birds, or even rabbits. Crush the Tylenol. Put two teaspoons of crushed Tylenol in each can of cat food. Then lace the fans where the feral cats hunt and live. The cat will enjoy it's first full meal in months. After the cat finished eating will painlessly go to sleep. After an hour of reap sleep the cats heart will stop.
Some uniformed people will say it is cruel and call you a monster. Who is the real monster? The person who compashonly put the poor suffering feature painlessly out of it' suffering or the monster who condemned the innocent cat to a life of cruel suffering and an eventualy slow painful live of hardship suffering and starvation?

Old 08-11-2015, 07:59 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,784,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodmuse View Post
I am trying to find an way to help feral cats in my area. All I can find is sites that push adoption.

What about the problem? Are there programs for this issue or not?
I live in Carlisle Pa.
Unfortunately, and a trajedy, feral cats have it pretty rough. Here in Los Angeles more than 20,000 cats are destroyed every year. Cats have 300% less chance of being adopted than a dog (6500 destroyed every year)

People who neglect to have their animals fixed, and allow their cats to roam the streets at night are to blame mostly.

I have three cats that were saved from the streets, and fortunately, for us and them, they were either abandoned or young when we saved them, because they adapted to being house cats very quickly. On the other hand, about twenty years ago we saved a mother and her two kittens, who had become wild. The mother remained an awesome pet and she stayed with us until she passed after 14 years. The kittens remained wild, though would show up to eat, and sometimes sleep, but eventually moved on, though we did manage tio get them both fixed. We'd see one of them roaming around the area for years.

We are actually caring for three ferals now, but they remain outside. They have plenty of food, water and shelter when they want it, however they'll most likely never become pets. One has a chance, but we haven't seen him in four days, so we are a tad concerned.

I wish I had good news for you, but I simply do not. The cat population has exploded, and is overwhelming the systems that once might have saved them.

Last edited by steven_h; 08-11-2015 at 08:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats