U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2011, 07:29 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,684,697 times

Advertisements

My cats loved those greenies treats, so my philosophy was if they'll eat it, they get it.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 07:48 AM

9,918 posts, read 21,721,496 times
I would say, if you can, go to another vet who is open to sub-q fluid treatment. If you can find out what happened to the one that left who actually brought up the fluids, you can go see that vet again, or just find another one in town. If the area is large enough you're bound to find one who is not too far away who might work out better. In my opinion there is no particular reason to be loyal to the same practice you've been visiting, especially if the vet you are seeing is clearly more interested in dogs. If your area is large enough you might even find a cat-only vet if that interests you. I take Amber to a solo practitioner vet who sees only cats in a small office. Seems to be working out well for now. At any rate, call around to some vets, tell them the situation and see what they say. It's possible that other office staff at some practices, at lest a vet assistant anyway, could tell you if the vet is aware of and recommends subcutaneous fluid treatment for CRF cats. For that matter, see if you can get a call back from a vet. That should be a good sign if they do in fact call.

To a certain extent give the kitty whatever treats she likes, that's what I would say. It's unlikely that they do anything significant for dental health though, as far as I know. I give mine Zuke's Natural Purrs (chicken, but I can't get her to eat chicken canned food) which is a chewy treat and Wysong Dream Treats (pheasant, of all things, she LOVES that!) Reminds me, I keep forgetting to order more Dream Treats, can't find those in the stores I've looked in around here. These things are freeze-dried essentially raw, very good stuff. It's a large piece, though, and I've never tried giving it to her whole. Oh and she gets a Greenies pill pocket (chicken, again) twice a day anyway, heh.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:58 AM

2,890 posts, read 5,740,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I've never understood why vets don't put cats on sub q as soon as their bloodwork shows failing kidney numbers.
It's not hard to do, just takes a little practice is all. I was very stressed about it for a couple of months and then it just became part of the routine.
I agree. It's better to learn when it's not super critical - that's even more reason to get cat owners started early.

It was difficult at first and then we (me, husband, and cats) got used to it. Even my husband was giving subQs, and he has a tough time with stuff like that. If you plan on having pets, it's an excellent skill to learn.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:42 AM

1,784 posts, read 2,532,946 times
Well, that former vet who recommended the subQs is now far away. There is only one other cat-only vet I can find (which I would REALLY prefer) which is semi-far from here. Both our cats HATE the car so that's a tough one. I do want to call another vet I know who makes house calls, though I'm not sure she would come as far as we are from her. Well, it's Sunday now so it's not the best day to be trying to call vets...

Greg, never heard of Dream Treats! I understand the pheasant thing; both of mine used to love quail (Before Grain), now not so much. Still waiting for mouse-flavored food. Sardine was the worst can I've ever opened.

Happy to report Cali is still eating well IF I give her anything but k/d! I just hope she can still live as long; our vet scared me by saying k/d could extend her life by two years. It sounded like he doesn't expect her to live that long otherwise. She is at the beginning stage of the disease. Her BUN worsened from three months ago but her creatinine improved, so who knows how to interpret that. I'd rather see her happy with what she's eating than barely eat and get skinnier, but we've already covered this.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,310 times
I have an 18 year old male kitty who's litter mate died 13 months ago of the same symptoms . He refuses the costly,special prescription food I purchased from the vet and runs the gamut from ravenous to apathetic with the ground wet food I give him. I've given him those tiny cans a teaspoon at a time and leave the can in a tupperware with a few ice cubes so it stays SAFE The only rule I follow is feeding him every time he wants to eat. I get fresh beef liver from the butcher and barely cook it in a sautee pan with a little water (still pink inside ) THIS IS SO EASY AND QUICK. I then grab my little emulsion blender and just pulse it into a slurry.(also super quick and easy to clean.) Just be careful -NO RAW FOOD-REMEMBER THEY ARE SICK AND FOOD BOURNE ILLNESS IS AN ISSUE -YOU DON'T WANT MORE PROBLEMS !!! My guy is fragile-he has good days and bad days but he is comfortable and happy most of the time. I am just grateful he is still with me. His decline is slow and I know there is no cure. I must say we started him on RENAVAST and I think it has helped a lot. I know this is very controversial but my experience has been a good one and I am grateful for having it as a resource. Good luck and know you are not alone.
Wendy

Old 01-25-2015, 01:57 PM

13,253 posts, read 38,603,866 times
Renavast is not controversial. It's a bonafide, proven, guaranteed snake-oil. If your cat is responding with better health, it's because of all the other things you're doing to help him - including the change in diet you've already spelled out.

Next - cats can (and in the wild exclusively do) eat raw food. They are not human, they don't have human digestive systems. Their bodies process food differently than we do. Although if something is ravaged by salmonella, they are likely to get sick - a bit of salmonella taint in the raw food won't bother them at all. They have a natural resistance (not immunity) to it.

Just like humans are able to handle raw garlic, yet to a cat it's a toxic deadly poison.

Housecats can handle a lot of different types of food, but thrive with wet food, particularly high meat content and low (or non existent) vegetable/fruit/grain content.

Mostly though, the thing with RenAvast - the ingredients are "proprietary" which makes the supplement dubious, at best, potentially harmful, at worst. They don't list the ingredients. When a cat is sick, ingredients matter.

Old 01-25-2015, 04:06 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,203,942 times
Our teeny kitty doesn't have kidney disease, she is just very old and very tiny. For the last couple of years, I have been feeding her special to try and keep her weight up. I have to do the pate' wet foods also because she is a gravy licker but won't touch the chunks. The only thing I didn't see mentioned was a high calorie paste from the pet store. We get it in the aisle with the kitten formula at our local PetCo (but I have seen it in other pet stores). It comes in a toothpaste tube looking package and just says something like "High calorie supplement". We put in on top of her canned food and mix it in. She is still holding around the 5 lb. mark, so it certainly isn't hurting.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:49 PM

2 posts, read 764 times
my boy cat aged 16 still plays like a kitten and yes he has teeth problems and early stage chronic kidney disease Will eat royal canin both wet and dry renal diet for about a month and then grow sick of it then I have to move him on to the hill's kd wet and dry and the same thing happens... I want him to eat! but I don't want him to get unwell because of feeding him other food than the kd diet food.. he wants to eat really badly so much so that he ate a piece of bread the other day that he found and he would chew your hand off for something different..I DON'T know what I should do about this and I don't want to do more harm than good????????

Old 01-16-2019, 10:51 PM

2 posts, read 764 times
my boy cat aged 16 still plays like a kitten and yes he has teeth problems and early stage chronic kidney disease Will eat royal canin both wet and dry renal diet for about a month and then grow sick of it then I have to move him on to the hill's kd wet and dry and the same thing happens, he's not throwing up or unwell in any way and he's chasing pigeons in the back yard he's so hungry so no loss of appetite either ... I want him to eat! but I don't want him to get unwell because of feeding him other food than the kd diet food.. he wants to eat really badly so much so that he ate a piece of bread the other day that he found and he would chew your hand off for something different..I DON'T know what I should do about this and I don't want to do more harm than good????????

Old 01-17-2019, 11:33 AM

12,955 posts, read 4,218,789 times
Dump the kibble and feed him only wet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or