Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2011, 10:20 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,288,018 times

Advertisements

My kitty was playing last night running around going nuts and then he just stopped and started coughing and it was really dry. He did this for about a minute or so but nothing came up. Then he was back to going nuts like nothing happened. It was the first time this happened so it freaked me out.

Does this sound like a up and coming hairball? My kitten does not shed at all whatsoever yet so I was surprised. We are very careful to keep things away from him that he could eat so I don't think he got ahold of anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 12:36 PM

5,012 posts, read 10,692,515 times
Even if they don't apparently shed, cats have hairballs b/c they are constantly grooming themselves and, consequently, constantly ingesting hair.

Was he coughing or wretching? I can't say for sure if it was a hairball, which is usually a coughing-like noise, but may also be indicative of something else; wretching usually means that something has not agreed with them, although they can also vomit hairballs, and wretching can also be indicative of something else.

It could be that he will begin to "cough" up hairballs soon, especially if he is not being treated for hairballs; many recommend Laxatone, others prefer non-petroleum based products. I would begin treating him for hairballs and see if that prevents some of the coughing. If not, then I would take him to the vet.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:05 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
Sirius is a little young yet for hair ball trouble, though I suppose it's possible. More likely he either just got over excited and choked on some saliva, or got a bit of dust caught in his throat, or maybe he lost his breath for a minute.

Keep an eye out and if it keeps happening, of course bring him to the vet.

If you do decide to try some type of hairball remedy, be sure to give it on an empty stomach at least 2 hours before feeding. This is because hair ball remedies interfere with nutrient absorption. Plus, you want the stuff to glom onto hair, not food.

How's the little fellow doing otherwise? How about an updated picture?

Old 09-29-2011, 06:15 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
I brushed my cats, just to get loose fur off them, so it won't get in the tummy. The younger you start, the easier it is. He will think it is a toy. And new game you are playing with him.

Does he get wet food? Plenty of water?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats