Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 05:39 AM

7,490 posts, read 7,160,377 times

Advertisements

I have fed both my cats Wellness Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal & Rice Recipe for several years. There coat has been slick, they love the food, and have always had great health.

I switched both of them over to Wellness Core Dry. Ever since then, I have noticed that periodically they have a tendency to throw up the food after eating.

Is it due to the Core being a dryer consistency than the Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal & Rice Recipe? Or is it less palatable?

If you have experienced this with your cat, I would be interested in hearing about it.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 07:11 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times
Did you switch the food all at once, or do it gradually?

It sounds like the new food doesn't agree with them. I'd go back to the other food, or get them on a grain free canned diet.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:27 AM

Yes, have had both of them on it for about a year and at times it has worked better than others. Went this weekend to buy the Indoor formula and so far it seems to be working much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Did you switch the food all at once, or do it gradually?

It sounds like the new food doesn't agree with them. I'd go back to the other food, or get them on a grain free canned diet.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:35 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
My cat did vomit frequently on Wellness canned and developed UTI problems on wellness dry before that. I have sworn off wellness in any form all together but I am a definite convert to canned over dry now for my cats.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:38 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,131,850 times
if your cats are getting sick from a particular cat food you need to stop it immediately - the reason really doesnt matter just stop feeding it to them -

Old 10-06-2011, 10:25 AM

575 posts, read 1,995,642 times
My mom feeds Wellness kibble (I've lectured her about this LOL) but one of her cats vomits it up about once a week. Some say it's because of the kibble size and the cat's just swallow whole.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:25 AM

So far the Indoor formula seems to be working much better. One of my cats is commonly having hairballs even with regular brushing and hairball ointment so an occasional one here or there is not a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittymom4 View Post
My mom feeds Wellness kibble (I've lectured her about this LOL) but one of her cats vomits it up about once a week. Some say it's because of the kibble size and the cat's just swallow whole.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:16 PM

575 posts, read 1,995,642 times
Have you tried Laxatone for the hairballs? Works pretty well.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:35 PM

12,540 posts, read 2,137,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
My cat did vomit frequently on Wellness canned and developed UTI problems on wellness dry before that. I have sworn off wellness in any form all together but I am a definite convert to canned over dry now for my cats.
It's interesting you mention UTI...my 10 year old girl has a really nasty UTI (we're on our 2nd kind of antibiotic) and I had bought a small bag of Wellness Core with a coupon they sent me. She seemed to like it (I was mixing very small amounts into their regular food, but now I'm wondering if it was the cause of the UTI...interesting.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:52 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graytabbie View Post
It's interesting you mention UTI...my 10 year old girl has a really nasty UTI (we're on our 2nd kind of antibiotic) and I had bought a small bag of Wellness Core with a coupon they sent me. She seemed to like it (I was mixing very small amounts into their regular food, but now I'm wondering if it was the cause of the UTI...interesting.
Has your vet done a culture on her urine? A culture is sent out to a lab and takes a few days for results. The culture will determine the best antibiotic for the bacterial infection, and also show if there are any crystals being formed and what kind.

Often UTIs are caused by crystals in the urine. Wellness seems to cause the urine pH to rise in some cats, which makes the urine to low in acidity, causing struvite crystals to form. I am not a vet, but have a cat with FLUTD (Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disorder) and have had two cats test with elevated pH while eating canned wellness foods, and a third cat develop a UTI while eating a Wellness dry food (all happened several years before the buyout)

No antibiotic will help with crystal formation, the antibiotic is for bacterial infection only. If kitty is forming crystals I would recommend you start by switching to a high quality grain free canned diet, but not Wellness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats