Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 01:00 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,285,219 times

Advertisements

Has (how has) Big Pet Food co-opted our educated good intentions with targeted marketing to increase their profits.

Let's do a "10 Things the Pet Food Companies don't want you to know" focusing on Their Idea of Grain-Free.

I have found some Very interesting information on many sites.

Look for industry magazine/websites, advertising, focus groups etc. as well as the usual sites.

Some of the cat forum sites are just focus groups and propaganda machines for Big Pet Food, can you find the connections?

Be creative, look well beyond the first few results pages, follow a hunch ... and bring back what you find, even if it's still "raw" data ...

With all of us taking a closer look at the ways we may be being manipulated, perhaps we can make some of the money Pet Food Companies have spent on advertising and calculated good will gestures as meaningless as some of their claims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 01:24 PM

Pet Foods: Ingredients Versus Nutrients

My initial look into how a Grain-Free product is approached by Pet Food companies showed that many/most substitute a starch, even in wet, canned cat food, where it is not necessary for the manufacturing process as it is when producing dry cat food.

What are these non-grain substitutes, and what are the health implications of feeding our cats These non species appropriate ingredients?

Old 10-03-2011, 01:39 PM

That was TOO easy, but now let's get in depth.

The mother of all petfood trends: grain free - Petfood-Connection

Dr. Tim's | Premium All Natural Pet Food

This is a link already in the article, I wanted to be sure you saw it.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:14 PM

Since 1958, PFI has served as the voice of the US pet food industry,

Pet Food Institute - The Voice of the Pet Food Industry

Old 10-03-2011, 10:31 PM

17 posts, read 39,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
Has (how has) Big Pet Food co-opted our educated good intentions with targeted marketing to increase their profits.

Let's do a "10 Things the Pet Food Companies don't want you to know" focusing on Their Idea of Grain-Free.

I have found some Very interesting information on many sites.

Look for industry magazine/websites, advertising, focus groups etc. as well as the usual sites.

Some of the cat forum sites are just focus groups and propaganda machines for Big Pet Food, can you find the connections?

Be creative, look well beyond the first few results pages, follow a hunch ... and bring back what you find, even if it's still "raw" data ...

With all of us taking a closer look at the ways we may be being manipulated, perhaps we can make some of the money Pet Food Companies have spent on advertising and calculated good will gestures as meaningless as some of their claims.
I have been toying with the idea of changing my cats' food, although they seem to be doing just fine with their current big name brand. I guess I have fallen victim to the marketing ploys, if that's truly what they are. I read the attached articles, but I'm still not sold on this grain-free phenomenon being a ploy. One of my cats does have allergies and I wonder what would happen if I switched to a less grain formula. Are there any other opinions out there? It would be great if people would let us know whether they did or didn't see a difference after a switch! Thanks!

Old 10-04-2011, 06:22 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,630,802 times
I had a cat with allergies who could not tolerate grains and these formulas were very valuable - but I also question the wisdom of substituting tapioca for rice, that sort of thing. This is why I read the ingredients and I avoid carb fillers as much as possible and grains completely.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:38 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
The problem is, no matter what you choose to feed, a commercial cat food is going to have undesirables in it.

But choosing the lesser of evils, I go with canned foods that, while they may contain tapioca, guar gum or carageenan, or carrots and potatoes, they at least do not contain artifical preservatives, powdered cellulose (sawdust), artificial flavors, DYES, sodium nitrite or sodium nitrate or menadione sodium bisulfate (or it's variations).

I can at least pick the carrots and potatoes out, though I admit it irks me to be paying for something I am throwing away.

Any thing that appeals to the consumer is going to be latched onto and exploited. I don't trust ANY pet food company, even the ones I buy, which is why I feed as much as a variety as my cats with tolerate.

"Natural" "holistic" "grain free" are all just marketing ploys now. If we care what goes into our cats, we each, as individuals, have to do our own research and make our own informed decisions.

It's helpful when threads are started like this, and links posted to help people sort things our for themselves.

But we can drive ourselves crazy trying to find the best food. And I often do. (Drive myself crazy over it I mean)

Old 10-04-2011, 06:50 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,287,707 times
I mainly look at the first few ingredients in my kittens food and look for actual meat. Each and every food will have it's downfalls but I select what seems the healthiest based on my research.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:28 AM

575 posts, read 1,996,097 times
Many vitamins and minerals are put into the food as assembled packets or a mixture. The packets/mixtures are made up in the USA - this way the manufacturers can put a USA claim on their label. However the vitamins and minerals are still SOURCED from outside of the country.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:34 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
I read the ingredients and make a judgment call. Grain-free alone doesn't mean enough to me, although it can be a starting point. That said, even just the other day I bought a can that had chicken and rice, just on the off chance that because it appeared to not be gravy (and I was right on that count!) maybe the cat would eat it (basically wrong on that count, LOL!)

Unfortunately I've found it hard to avoid menadione, often just listed as "Vitamin K Supplement". I know there are brands out there that don't use it, but I also have the picky cat who will only touch a chunkier canned food, which rules out a lot of possibilities. Again, a judgment call: have her eat some canned food even though it has that in it, or have her eat little or no canned food at all, which would be the other way around? I haven't tried everything, but I've tried lots of things. Starting from raw meat from the supermarket or butcher isn't in the cards for us.

Most of the stuff about pet food is a marketing ploy as it isn't well regulated. Although words like natural and holistic aren't well regulated for human food either. Being informed enough just to know this will turn out far better for your cat IMO. At least you're thinking about things and not just blindly giving in to the marketing like the masses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats