Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 07:13 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times

Advertisements

I am overjoyed to keep my cat indoors unless he is on a leash with me outside. But, cats are free to roam in the City where I live and if a person chooses to have their cat roam outside, that is fine with me. I have never smelled any cat marking, or even seen cat feces in my yard. But I do have a parade of dog persons who walk their dogs by my house endlessly marking every bush, rock and pole along the way. I don't mind. It perplexes me why a person would want to watch a dog take a dump a couple of times a day, but each to his own. If I had 10 feral cats in the yard I would be as happy as a clam. No mice, squirrels or voles.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:17 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
The feral (and cats with homes) cats are killing other things than just rats. The rats get so big and aggressive few cats will go near a full grown rat.
Feral cats are a invasive species and should be treated as such.
They will over populate the dairy farm.
Culling happens on a regular bases that's a reality on many farms

Next,
IF you leave your property on my property I will remove it by 1. Throwing it away as I have no responsibility to find the owner.
2. Calling the cops/authorities and have then take it away.
3. I didn't take your property you abandoned it. so I can't steal it.
4. How does someone know it's your cat?
5 Even Ohio you can trap a cat and remove it.

Why do you think it's ok for your cat to come on to my property?
Why do you think we have no recourse when it does.

B.
No person being the owner, keeper or harborer of or having charge of horses, mules, cattle, sheep, goats, swine, dogs, cats, geese, or other fowl or animals shall permit the same, except homing pigeons bearing official bands, to run at large on any public way or on any public ground or upon the private property of another.

Municode - Search

AND YES you can trap cats in OHIO.

Akron’s Animal Control Ordinance
On June 25, 2002, Akron’s Animal Control Ordinance was amended to include cats as well as dogs.
A cat is picked up only when a resident makes a specific complaint about a cat at-large. Where a pet owner can be identified, the owner will be counseled and/or cited for failing to control his or her pet.
City animal control officers cannot remove a cat from the property of its owner, without the owner’s permission. Where the owner is not known, the complaining resident pays a $25.00 deposit to the City of Akron for a humane capture trap. Residents are instructed by wardens to place food and water in the trap (one serving of food is provided by the City); and to immediately telephone our Customer Service Division once a cat has been captured. The goal is to respond within 2 to 4 hours.
Wardens specifically advise trap holders to remove the food from the trap and close the doors on weekends - - Friday afternoon through Monday morning, to prevent an animal from being left in the trap when wardens are not available.

http://www.ci.akron.oh.us/Temporary_Pages/cats.htm

Residents who wish to trap, neuter and then return feral cats to their outdoor home may borrow traps at no cost. A $60 deposit is required and will be refunded when the trap is returned.Group offering humane box traps for feral cats - Canton, OH - CantonRep.com

Marta Anderson, Spay/Neuter Supervisor for the Cleveland Animal Protective League, presented census data that reported there are approximately 5,000 to 6,500 unowned and unsterilized cats living outdoors in Westlake. Within one year that population could reproduce to 14,000 cats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
In most areas, if were not for outside cats, your properties would be over run by rodents. In my close in suburban location there are something like 250 rodents per acre. Thanks to the outside cats and feral cats. All I can say is I sure prefer cats to rats. And, trapping domestic cats in my area is a theft offense, punishable by jail time. Just like swiping the neighbor kid's bike just because he left it on your lawn. No difference at all really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Cats and all pets are considered personal property. My cat is my property; to trap and remove it when ownership can be established is theft, and has legal consequences.

Cats that are not owned usually are considered the property of the landowner upon whose land they exist.

If my cat is on your property, you can ask me to keep the cat indoors. You can trap it and bring it home. You can call me every name in the book and fail to invite me to your Christmas party. But you cannot willfully trap my cat and surrender it to a shelter as long as you are aware that the cat is owned (established by collar, description, chip, etc.). My cat is not yours to surrender.

If a feral cat is on your property, and ownership cannot be established, you can trap it and take it to a shelter if that makes your day.

Of course, the humane thing to do is to trap, neuter and release.
This is also a big proublem as the cats compete with the natural species for food. They kill for the joy of killing.
feral cats are a proublem and should not be released.

Quote:
Ohio law is clear on this point. If you trap someone else's domestic cat, depriving them of ownership, it is a theft, plain and simple. If the value of the cat is $500 it is a felony.
Yet another reason to get rid of feral cats.
American Bird Conservancy has issued a press release alleging that feral cat colonies increase rabies risk. ABC senior policy analyst Steve Holmer asserts that feral cat colonies bring together a series of high risk elements that result in a “perfect storm” of rabies exposure. The release proceeded his presentation “Managed Cat Colonies and Rabies” during the World Rabies Day International Webinar Sep. 21 and 22.

Holmer claims in the release: “When humans establish outdoor feeding stations for feral cats they provide a catalyst for rabies transmission. Rabies is passed from the wildlife that is attracted to the food to the cats, and from the cats to people. According to the Center for Disease Control, cats are now the most common vector for the spread of rabies from a domestic species. In 2009 alone, there were seven accounts of rabid cats attacking people on the East Coast. As a rabies vector species, domestic cats pose a threat to human health that can be addressed by responsible pet ownership.”

Some more groups discussing the free roaming cat.
A good read.

http://www.tnrrealitycheck.com/media...Feral_Cats.pdf

http://www.examiner.com/cats-in-nati...age-feral-cats

Last edited by snofarmer; 10-05-2011 at 07:51 AM..

Old 10-05-2011, 08:03 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
I live in a small town in the south and there are many cats used as barn cats here. I have no problem with that but too many of them are not spayed or neutered let alone given shots. I feel sorry for them but that is just me. I volunteer at the local AC and cats are one thing we never have a problem giving away.

Our AC officer will only pick up cats that are in traps. We have a leash law for cats too but I have never seen anyone use a leash on a cat here. I could probably on my big cat but he isn't gong anyplace fast or even out of the backyard.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:04 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Quote:
I wouldn't be opposed to those types of laws; however, they're more likely to punish the responsible pet owners than they are to deter irresponsible pet owners, and they do little to responsibly limit the growth of feral cat colonies.

Who would have been punished by a leash law for cats? Not the person who dumped the kittens in the alley (although that person's day will come ...). The person fined would have been me, someone who was desperately trying to save two little innocent lives.
You are obviously a very kind person who cares about animals. Your neighbor on the other hand is reprehensible. I'm glad you found a way to save those kittens!

As you point out there are 2 issues:

1. Feral cats that are owned by no one and are in that state due to irresponsible people. In the case of these cats (if they can't be rehabilitated and homed), probably trap, neuter and release is the best solultion. Should you be fined for attempting to help those animals? No.

2. Owned cats. In the absense of laws prohibiting roaming, it's up to the owner to allow their cat to roam or not. In addition, it's up to a property owner who prefers to have a cat free environment to (within the law) decide how to deal with the roaming cat. I'm not comfortable with this. That's why I'd prefer a "no roam" law for owned cats. Forces owners to keep them safe and prevents any possible harm to them.

Where I live all dogs and cats are supposed to be registered with Animal Control. You have to provide proof of a current rabies vaccine to register. You pay a yearly fee for the registration, one rate for spayed/neutered pets and another for intact pets. The fees are waived for the elderly and disabled. In addition, there are free rabies/microchipping clinics a few times a year and reduced cost spay and neuter clinics as well. It's my opinion that if you fail to do the above, you are not a responsible pet owner. If a "no roam" law was put in place, responsible pet owners would know if their pet is picked up by AC, they can be easily and quickly returned. Sure they may have to pay a fine, but I'd be OK with that as long as my pet was safely home.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
I am overjoyed to keep my cat indoors unless he is on a leash with me outside. But, cats are free to roam in the City where I live and if a person chooses to have their cat roam outside, that is fine with me. I have never smelled any cat marking, or even seen cat feces in my yard. But I do have a parade of dog persons who walk their dogs by my house endlessly marking every bush, rock and pole along the way. I don't mind. It perplexes me why a person would want to watch a dog take a dump a couple of times a day, but each to his own. If I had 10 feral cats in the yard I would be as happy as a clam. No mice, squirrels or voles.
Good to know. If I encounter any feral cats, I'll give them a map and point them your way.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I live in a small town in the south and there are many cats used as barn cats here. I have no problem with that but too many of them are not spayed or neutered let alone given shots. I feel sorry for them but that is just me. I volunteer at the local AC and cats are one thing we never have a problem giving away.

Our AC officer will only pick up cats that are in traps. We have a leash law for cats too but I have never seen anyone use a leash on a cat here. I could probably on my big cat but he isn't gong anyplace fast or even out of the backyard.
Unfortunately, malevolent people use the pretext of trapping "feral" cats to try to get rid of their neighbors cat which is legally roaming around in their yard but against their wishes. Such is an illegal theft offense in every jurisdiction, its just hard to prove that the intent was to catch the neighbors cat and not the ferals. Like the person who soaks dog biscuits in antifreeze and leaves them around the yard. Hard to prove, but equally malevolent.

I suspect all persons other than the "catch and neuter ladies" as having bad motives.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:26 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I'm glad you found a way to save those kittens!
Thanks. Cookie and Checkers thank you as well.
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Thanks. Cookie and Checkers thank you as well.
Adorable! And I love their names.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:33 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
Now back to reality.
Any cay or dog that I do not own or have given permission to the owner of such animal DOES NOT HAVE THE RIGHT to be on my property. period.

Just because you chose to let your animal roam does not mean there are not consequences for it.

Hey, there is no leash law for my heard of cattle so what's the big deal if they come on to your yard.

Well it's not my cat or cow and I do not want it in my yard.
I don't need to have a reason other than I don't want it.

My land, your cat, my rights come first.
Your cat is trespassing, it's not my fault it can't read the signs.
Be a responsible cat owner.

Why do you think it's o.k. for your property to come onto my property?

Can I just come into your home or sit on your deck with out your permission? Why do you think it's so different for your cat?
Your responsible for it (well maybe you are not) not me, If you love your cat why would you let it roam free?

Quote:
Unfortunately, malevolent people use the pretext of trapping "feral" cats to try to get rid of their neighbors cat which is legally roaming around in their yard but against their wishes. Such is an illegal theft offense in every jurisdiction, its just hard to prove that the intent was to catch the neighbors cat and not the ferals. Like the person who soaks dog biscuits in antifreeze and leaves them around the yard. Hard to prove, but equally malevolent.

I suspect all persons other than the "catch and neuter ladies" as having bad motives.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Now back to reality.
Any cay or dog that I do not own or have given permission to the owner of such animal DOES NOT HAVE THE RIGHT to be on my property. period.
Well, that is true. And, it is also true that your neighbor's kid cannot leave his bike on your lawn. but if you damage the bike intentionally, or toss it or give it away, and it is proven, you are going to jail. it may not be fair in your view, but its the law.

Now, you can lie . . . pretend that you are trapping feral cats and . . . wink . . . wink . . . you just happened to get your neighbor's cat in the trap and didn't recognize it . . . .wink . . . wink . . and dump it off at the SPCA, but if your neighbor is me, you are going to have the police on your front porch and you will have to decide whether to tell the truth about what you did or take a bigger risk. So we can pretend all day, but if all the facts be truthfully known, you cannot take your neighbor's cat to the pound in a community where there is no leash law for cats. you can run them off as long as you don't harm them. That's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats