Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 01:08 PM

468 posts, read 1,541,040 times

Advertisements

Wilson513:

I did a quick Google search regarding the animal control laws in your area (Hamilton County, Ohio). All of them can be read here: http://www.co.hamilton.in.us/library/sheriff/docs/HamiltonCountyAnimalLaws.pdf (broken link)

But, here is a brief description of certain laws:

HCC 15-2.1-1-12a (Restraint of animal):
[LEFT]
[SIZE=1]…unlawful for…dog or cat…to run at large, whether wearing collar & tag or not, within incorporated or unincorporated areas…all such dogs found running at large…shall be immediately impounded by animal control unit or any police officer…may pursue animal onto private property to capture… [/SIZE][/LEFT]

The fine, for you as the cat owner, for violating this ordinance is $500 per infraction.

HCC 15-2.1-1-13 (Public Nuisance Animal):

[LEFT]
[SIZE=1]…repeatedly at large/ or…damages property/ or…is vicious…attacks w/o provocation/ or…excessively
makes disturbing noises…continued/repeated howl, bark, whine, or other causing unreasonable disturbance
to neighbors or others close by/ or…creates unsanitary conditions or offensive…odors in enclosures or surroundings and creates unreasonable disturbance/discomfort to neighbors/others in close proximity… [/SIZE][/LEFT]

The fine, for you as the cat owner, for violating this ordinance is $1000 per occurance and the removal of your cat from your home.

HCC 15-2.1-1-13 (Sterilization of dogs and cats required):

[LEFT]
[SIZE=1]…dog and cat over age of 6 months…in the county shall have been sterilized… unless a veterinarian has certified in writing that it would not be in the animal's best medical interest until 9 mos old…unless owner
does have a current and valid intact breeder's permit…from division of animal control… [/SIZE][/LEFT]

The fine, for you as the cat owner, in violation of this ordinance is $100-$500 per occurance.

I'm showing you this because you keep claiming that there aren't any such laws where you live. And, that if anybody took your cat then you could have them arrested for stealing (based, again, on the laws of your area). I read nothing in the ordinances for Hamilton County that prevents your cats from being trapped.

In fact, all the ordinances are geared towards making cat owners wholly responsible for their well being. Failure to obey will cause you financial hardships, and not anybody else.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:15 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1999 View Post
Wilson513:

I did a quick Google search regarding the animal control laws in your area (Hamilton County, Ohio). All of them can be read here: http://www.co.hamilton.in.us/library/sheriff/docs/HamiltonCountyAnimalLaws.pdf (broken link)

But, here is a brief description of certain laws:

HCC 15-2.1-1-12a (Restraint of animal):
[LEFT]
[SIZE=1]…unlawful for…dog or cat…to run at large, whether wearing collar & tag or not, within incorporated or unincorporated areas…all such dogs found running at large…shall be immediately impounded by animal control unit or any police officer…may pursue animal onto private property to capture… [/SIZE][/LEFT]

The fine, for you as the cat owner, for violating this ordinance is $500 per infraction.

HCC 15-2.1-1-13 (Public Nuisance Animal):

[LEFT]
[SIZE=1]…repeatedly at large/ or…damages property/ or…is vicious…attacks w/o provocation/ or…excessively
makes disturbing noises…continued/repeated howl, bark, whine, or other causing unreasonable disturbance
to neighbors or others close by/ or…creates unsanitary conditions or offensive…odors in enclosures or surroundings and creates unreasonable disturbance/discomfort to neighbors/others in close proximity… [/SIZE][/LEFT]

The fine, for you as the cat owner, for violating this ordinance is $1000 per occurance and the removal of your cat from your home.

HCC 15-2.1-1-13 (Sterilization of dogs and cats required):

[LEFT]
[SIZE=1]…dog and cat over age of 6 months…in the county shall have been sterilized… unless a veterinarian has certified in writing that it would not be in the animal's best medical interest until 9 mos old…unless owner
does have a current and valid intact breeder's permit…from division of animal control… [/SIZE][/LEFT]

The fine, for you as the cat owner, in violation of this ordinance is $100-$500 per occurance.

I'm showing you this because you keep claiming that there aren't any such laws where you live. And, that if anybody took your cat then you could have them arrested for stealing (based, again, on the laws of your area). I read nothing in the ordinances for Hamilton County that prevents your cats from being trapped.

In fact, all the ordinances are geared towards making cat owners wholly responsible for their well being. Failure to obey will cause you financial hardships, and not anybody else.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Your problem, is that you have cited a bunch of laws that pertain to a place called Hamilton County Indiana, which I have never heard of. I admit, there are places where cats are not allowed to roam. Hamilton County Ohio is not one of them.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:24 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
Here are the laws for my location. The bottom line is:

1. Leash laws don't apply to cats. Nuisance Animal Laws apply to cats and dogs.
2. The Nuisance Animal law makes no distinction as to the animal's status (owned or feral).
3. If a cat or dog is deemed to be a nuisance (based on the guidelines below), Animal Control will lend you a trap to catch the animal and pick it up to take to their facility once trapped. You are not allowed to do anything with the animal other than turn it over to AC.

Leash Laws
The City of ________ and _________ County have strict leash laws that apply to all animals except cats (see the nuisance animal section for laws pertaining to cats).

Nuisance Animals
Ordinance reads that it is unlawful for any person to own or maintain an animal in such a manner to cause a public nuisance. Examples of situations which would constitute a nuisance are:

Having an animal which disturbs the rights of or threatens the safety of a member of the general public, or interferes with the ordinary use and enjoyment of their property.
Allowing an animal to damage the property of anyone other than its owner.
Maintaining animals in an environment of unsanitary conditions which results in offensive odors.
Allowing or permitting an animal to bark, whine, howl, crow or cackle in an excessive, continuous or untimely fashion so as to interfere with the reasonable use and enjoyment of neighboring premises.
Failing to confine a female dog in heat.
Failing to remove feces deposited by a dog on any public street, sidewalk, gutter, park or other publicly owned or private property.

Trap Services

How the process works:
Animal Care & Control provides citizens traps for nuisance cats and dogs. The trap is loaned out for a 7 day period. The trap Officer meets with the citizen explaining how the trap works. The citizen is responsible to set and bait the trap and to contact ___ when an animal has been captured within the trap. ___ will enter a call for service for Animal Care & Control to respond to the citizen address to remove the animal from the trap. Traps are delivered throughout the city/county Tuesday through Friday within 2 hour increments between 11:00 AM and 7:00 PM. Each delivery area is determined by zip code. Once the citizen has been contacted by phone a designated time and day will be arranged. The citizen must be at home to receive the trap.
Traps will not be loaned out for nuisance cats at apartment complexes. It is suggested that the management of the apartment complex purchase or rent a trap. Animal Care & Control will service any trap that has an animal in it.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 10-05-2011 at 01:33 PM..

Old 10-05-2011, 01:27 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Seems to me that this would be an incentive for those neighbors to put collars on their cats. And maybe keep their cats from roaming the neighborhood and getting into the guys yard.
i think its very wrong to leave cats to roam freely around the neighborhood. if its your pet, then you take care of it. i walk my dog at night on a leash and i get very angry when i see a cat running around freely. if a situation occurred where i was walking my dog and someone's free roaming cat got into a fight with my dog, the owners may want to believe the cats are being humanely trapped and turned over, but thats not what will be happening.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:38 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think its very wrong to leave cats to roam freely around the neighborhood. if its your pet, then you take care of it. i walk my dog at night on a leash and i get very angry when i see a cat running around freely. if a situation occurred where i was walking my dog and someone's free roaming cat got into a fight with my dog, the owners may want to believe the cats are being humanely trapped and turned over, but thats not what will be happening.

Hahaha. That's a good one. You are walking your dog and a cat gets into a fight with him? While your dog is on the leash? What, the cat runs up and starts clawing him with you holding the dog back. I can't stop laughing just thinking about it.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Hahaha. That's a good one. You are walking your dog and a cat gets into a fight with him? While your dog is on the leash? What, the cat runs up and starts clawing him with you holding the dog back. I can't stop laughing just thinking about it.
i have a cat, so i know what those little ninjas can do with those claws. my dog isnt exactly miss lovie dovie when she encounters a free roaming animal. she got me sprayed by a skunk once! but she is on a leash, so i can restrain her. i dont really know what the odds are of a cat attacking, but one time would be enough for me. i have heard a couple of cats fighting each other while walking. sounds like crazy baby crying sounds.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:50 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
i suppose it COULD happen... but it would be a rare rare cat that would attack a leashed dog.....

Old 10-05-2011, 01:53 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Ohio law is clear on this point. If you trap someone else's domestic cat, depriving them of ownership, it is a theft, plain and simple. If the value of the cat is $500 it is a felony.
If you enter their property and take the cat, it is theft. If the cat is on your property and you humanely trap it and surrender it to the proper authorities, that's a whole different story, and is legal by the state law of every state that I've checked (and I believe others here have also checked).

Old 10-05-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
i suppose it COULD happen... but it would be a rare rare cat that would attack a leashed dog.....
if i just happened to find myself in the area of the cat without noticing and the cat doesnt run away, i could find myself with my dog attacking the cat and it fighting back. thats similar to what happened with the skunk. it was night and dark and all the sudden my dog is face to face with a skunk barking at it. then im the one that got sprayed.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:59 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Well, that is true. And, it is also true that your neighbor's kid cannot leave his bike on your lawn. but if you damage the bike intentionally, or toss it or give it away, and it is proven, you are going to jail. it may not be fair in your view, but its the law.
No, the cops would tell the neighbor to sue you in small claims court. Also, if someone leaves a bike on my lawn, I'm perfectly within the law to surrender it to the proper authorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats