Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2011, 02:15 PM

7 posts, read 9,210 times

Advertisements

I live in Gulf country that has no laws or concerns about animals . Last month I posted a thread about feeding stray cats .. well not stray and not home cats .. I found the mama in the building and got used to seeing her whenever Im coming in or going out ... even she was big I called her Mini.
Mini got pregnant and had two little kitten , she was the best mom ever, very protective for four month she was nursing them , teaching them , following them wherever they go and her two kittens Pop and Bubbles were very well raised . Mini got pregnant again and when her kittens were only Four months or even less . She delivered four kittens , Smoky , Ginger , Olive and Silver . I took care of them feeding them , taking them to the vet when they get ill and lately started to work and find ways to neuter/spay them .
In the last few days and while feeding them other cats used to come and wants to eat cats from no where , the other cats are not that clean , some are bleeding some have colds ...and they always used to be fights over food .
One day I noticed that Smoky is not her self and she didnt want to eat and her eyes are sticky , I took her in the morning to a near by clinic , she gave her few shots and asked me to come the next day , but I took her the same day in the afternoon cos she got a bit worse , she gave her shots again ,her right eye got really bad. The next day I didnt go to work and took Smoky to the best vet clinic ( and very expensive ) , the doctor said that she will try to save her eyes and cure her from her cold and flue .
I was so busy with Smoky but I noticed that Mini has disappeared for the last two days . Suddenly I found her limping , in pain and broken leg ... I took her straight away to clinic where her daughter is staying , the Dr said that she will try to save the leg but that it looks heavily damaged and it might be amputated but will decide after the X-ray and we agreed on spaying her as well . The Dr called me yesterday and said that there is no other option that amputation and that Smoky is not getting that better and reluctant to eat .
Today I went to the clinic and sadly the Dr decided to put Smoky ( only 4 months old) to sleep cos she is in pain and the virus is eating her body , she is week and not eating . Mini looked horrible half her body shaved with amputated leg from the hips , but at least she is not in pain and seemed to be calm , relaxed , eating well and adapting well to the new condition , Ive put her boarding and will try to find a home for her .
Emotionally I was so disturbed , I cried my eyes off .. Smoky was pretty and life ahead of her ... my daughter wanted to adopt her , but I thought she is happier with her mother , sisters and brothers .
Did i do the right thing ? did the Dr take the right decision ? I feel so sorry for smoky and miss her a lot. I have mixed feeling of guilt and sadness . I think I did what should be done .. best clinic where i live ( they cost me half my salary ) but its their destiny .
Pls understand me ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 02:33 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,429,508 times
I'm sorry about Smoky. I'm sure it hurts to lose her. Now that you've joined the ranks of people that rescue animals, you'll have a lot of rewarding happy moments, and some very sad ones too. This is a little story to keep you going.

The Starfish Story - Ordinary People Change the World

Old 10-07-2011, 05:28 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,540,413 times
I cry for your Smoky. You did everythng you could and more. You honor both Smoky and Mini with the help and hope you are giving these cats. Keep your heart and thoughts with Mini and help her heal. Cats do well after amputation - so you made the right decision.

The world is a better place because of you.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:17 PM

7 posts, read 9,210 times
Subjectotchagne thanks for your reply ..... and thanks for recommending this nice story hat will definitely keep me going .
MissNM thanks for comforting words.. you really made me feel better .. Mini will receive all the care she deserves to receive she is still boarding now but she is coping well and will continue to help theses helpless creatures first by neutering them and then keeping them healthy and happy .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats