Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 05:25 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,622,545 times

Advertisements

for me, i built a filtration / exhaust system into my litterboxes. the only problem im having now is devising a way to easily clean out the litter boxes. currently, i have to remove the pvc from one of the boxes to get at the litterbox.

i am using 2 x 120mm computer fans powered by a 2 amp power supply. each fan draws in about a .15 of an amp, so ive got plenty of room for expansion, should it be needed.

i used 2" PVC pipe to snake up the wall and out the window. ill take pix later and post them, if not at least to give others an idea and maybe help them design their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 09:00 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,833,049 times
^ The ultimate solution, lol. Two 120s would move air but run pretty silently. Could you re-do it as a fume hood, like chem lab bench hood? Then set the boxes inside it? See Building a small fume hood for stinky projects

Old 10-15-2011, 09:05 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,833,049 times
Pretty kitty, too. :-)

Old 10-15-2011, 09:20 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,622,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
^ The ultimate solution, lol. Two 120s would move air but run pretty silently. Could you re-do it as a fume hood, like chem lab bench hood? Then set the boxes inside it? See Building a small fume hood for stinky projects
i suppose you could, though my cats seem to use that one more than the second one, which is just a normal covered litterbox with a hole cut in the top and PCV connecting it to the main litter box...

each kitty is different though

Old 10-15-2011, 05:31 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times
I finally solved this problem by installing a cat door and putting the litter box out on the patio!!! My cat was dropping nuclear bombs at about 5 in the morning and the smell was so bad it would actually wake me up from my sleep.

I reached my breaking point with the "cat sh*t alarm clock" and decided to move the litter box outdoors.

This company sells pet doors you can install into a sliding glass door - http://www.petdoors.com/ - I bought mine from them and am very impressed with the quality

But.... I do find that keeping the litter deep is very important- then the urine never touches the bottom.

Also, I've recently switched my cat to a raw food diet and he produces about 1/2 as much poop as before. He is elderly, so doesn't eat a lot, so the cost is equivalent to his prior diet of canned/dry.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:45 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
My cat's box is covered, and I scoop it twice a day. Now I'm not saying that if I stuck my head in there I wouldn't smell anything, but it's practically odorless in the room.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:34 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
My cat box is uncovered, because he won't use a covered one, and it doesn't smell. I scoop it as soon as he uses it, or when I come home, if it's been used. It never smells.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:46 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
I have nine cats.

My house probably stinks.

I don't care.

I can't smell it.

What anybody else can smell is not my concern.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:11 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
That's the spirit!

Old 10-17-2011, 12:34 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E E View Post
I finally solved this problem by installing a cat door and putting the litter box out on the patio!!! My cat was dropping nuclear bombs at about 5 in the morning and the smell was so bad it would actually wake me up from my sleep.

I reached my breaking point with the "cat sh*t alarm clock" and decided to move the litter box outdoors.

This company sells pet doors you can install into a sliding glass door - America's Finest Pet Doors | Cat Doors and Dog Doors of all Types | Manufacturer of the Award Winning "Endura Flap" Pet Doors - I bought mine from them and am very impressed with the quality

But.... I do find that keeping the litter deep is very important- then the urine never touches the bottom.

Also, I've recently switched my cat to a raw food diet and he produces about 1/2 as much poop as before. He is elderly, so doesn't eat a lot, so the cost is equivalent to his prior diet of canned/dry.
I'd love to do that but it's going to be another year or two before we'll have the cash to put up the deck out back, the roof over head and screen the entire thing in. But yes, when that day comes, there will definitely be a kitty door off the laundry or mud room. I've even thought of keeping the shop door closed, which is a room under the main roof of the house but access is only outside, and putting their litter box in there. That puts them back in the main area of the house though and it won't work. The dogs love to chase them and the cats will hop the gate and run upstairs. I have no clue why, but the dogs hop the gate to go in the laundry and mud rooms but won't hop it in the stair well to go upstairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
for me, i built a filtration / exhaust system into my litterboxes. the only problem im having now is devising a way to easily clean out the litter boxes. currently, i have to remove the pvc from one of the boxes to get at the litterbox.

i am using 2 x 120mm computer fans powered by a 2 amp power supply. each fan draws in about a .15 of an amp, so ive got plenty of room for expansion, should it be needed.

i used 2" PVC pipe to snake up the wall and out the window. ill take pix later and post them, if not at least to give others an idea and maybe help them design their own.
Fantastic! Wish I knew more about things like that. Sounds like a wonderful idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats